Taking Moscow - Supply concerns

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Post Reply
Amnese
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:57 pm

Taking Moscow - Supply concerns

Post by Amnese »

I'm new to WitE, and I'm trying to grasp the issue of supply.
I understand it goes out to the railhead, then out to HQs, then out to units from there.
I've been repeating the Road to Moscow scenario several times vs the AI, just trying to understand how this works, but I reach a point where it seems the railhead just can't keep up, and advanced units go low on supply. Is this inevitable, should I pause, build up fuel, then continue in one big push, or is there something I'm doing wrong? I've been trying to keep pressure on the Russians, not giving them time to dig-in, so hitting them constantly.

I'm near Moscow on Turn 10 [of Turn 17] in my present game. I got to Vyazma by about turn 5-6, but I haven't moved the lines much in 3-4 turns.

All my armoured units at the front are low on fuel, they're within range of HQ, and receiving supply/fuel from there, but it doesn't seem like much [20%/10%]. The HQs are about 23 hexes from the railhead, which is slowly creeping forward.

So, what am I doing wrong here?
Is this inevitable? Is it necessary to pause and rebuild fuel stocks?
Is there some way to repair rail faster to get the railhead up quicker?

Any other tips on things I'm doing wrong would be appreciated.
rainman2015
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:52 am

RE: Taking Moscow - Supply concerns

Post by rainman2015 »

I am playing the campaign as the Germans right now, on turn 5. There is not a lot in terms of a Soviet defense line in front on me and Moscow right now, but my panzer corps HQs are 24-25 hexes from the railhead, and i am of course having the exact same problem, 15-22 MPs or so, can't do much with that especially when doing any attacks and moving all your movement thru enemy hexes. Not much you can do about it other than wait on the railhead to get closer.

If you hang your HQs back to 20 hexes and stop the panzer/mot divisions from moving for a turn, you can burn your trucks and APs and do a HQ buildup, and you can fly in a little fuel to your forward units with JU-52s, but that doesn't help that much in the new versions of the rules. Other than that, you have reached max of your supply line, and while there, will hover at around 40% MPs or so.

It certainly feels realistic though...:)

Randy
:)
Amnese
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:57 pm

RE: Taking Moscow - Supply concerns

Post by Amnese »

Thanks Randy. I'd read about HQ buildup but wasn't exactly sure how to do it. I saw an [it seems] outdated tutorial that showed a link on the HQ unit, which apparently is now gone [unless I'm doing it wrong].
rainman2015
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:52 am

RE: Taking Moscow - Supply concerns

Post by rainman2015 »

ORIGINAL: Amnese

Thanks Randy. I'd read about HQ buildup but wasn't exactly sure how to do it. I saw an [it seems] outdated tutorial that showed a link on the HQ unit, which apparently is now gone [unless I'm doing it wrong].

Check out my 'Condensed Rules' set that is updated to the latest errata, which includes all the errata on supply buildup (hard to figure out what the rules are on that without the updated rules). I have marked thru all the obsolete sections also in the condensed rules. See the sticky in the 'Scenario Design and Modding' section to get them.

Randy
:)
Amnese
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:57 pm

RE: Taking Moscow - Supply concerns

Post by Amnese »

Thanks mate, yeah I found those earlier in the day and was reading through. Many thanks!
Aditia
Posts: 573
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:06 pm

RE: Taking Moscow - Supply concerns

Post by Aditia »

wtb link to those condensed rules :)

Or are they stickied?
Denniss
Posts: 9331
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Germany, Hannover (region)

RE: Taking Moscow - Supply concerns

Post by Denniss »

Stickied in scenario/modding section
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
Post Reply

Return to “The War Room”