Pop Up disappearing behind main form

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

davidachamberlain
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:12 am

RE: Pop Up disappearing behind main form

Post by davidachamberlain »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
Yes.[:(]

The code that is causing the problem is in Theme Engine, which was a purchased product. It is no longer available. I have the source code for it, but that code is a rat's nest of interconnected and cross-calling modules which also uses a lot of special Delphi 'features'. I never understand why programmers feel compelled to try to include all the different unique ways to have a program accomplish something. I cut my teeth on Fortran back in the late 1960's and that was capable of doing almost all the stuff that the modern languages can. Keeping it simple is CRUCIAL for good programming practices.

Anyway, I have looked into fixing that bug 3 different times but after spending 3+ days trying to figure out what Theme Engine + MS Windows routines are doing/trying to do[:@], I've always moved on to more important bugs.[8|]
I think part of the problem is memory usage. I have less of a problem if I restart my computer before the MWIF game and avoid opening any unnecessary applications.

I don't think I had this problem before 2.3 - at least I don't remember it and see it more in 2.3.5 and 2.3.6. However that could be coincidence.

Regardless, it is avoidable and can be worked around by avoiding pushing the minimize button.

There are bigger fish to fry - like the synchronization problem Paul referred to.

Right now, I am trying to find an early enough autosave that allows both sides to in the Netplay Global War game to have builds. Right now, the Allies have no build points.

Dave
BrianSchick
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:09 pm

RE: Pop Up disappearing behind main form

Post by BrianSchick »

Perhaps it is time to trash Theme Engine and try something different?

I see this problem all the time. I am playing on one monitor, and all the forms pile up on one another. I just stumbled on the open another window and close it, and that seems to get the dialogue form I want to appear so I can press 'Ok'.

This last time, that didn't work. If I hover over the icon on the task bar, I see a mini of the main form, and can hover over the X in the task bar main form mini, then the form I want peeks out in the little blank area I keep under my main form. But once I leave the task bar mini, the form I want disappears. I can't get at that 'Ok', and I have to go to Task Manager to close WiF.

Fix it! Please!
Brian M. Schick
Post Reply

Return to “Tech Support”