Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16715
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by Mike Solli »

PaxMondo wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:05 pm
Mike Solli wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2026 2:12 pm Some of you may be asking why I'm "risking" MKB on a wild goose chase to get some cargo ships, a tanker and a few old DDs?
Actually, .... NO. I think it a great idea and would likely do the same with similar circumstances ... Ted can't know whether this is the MKB or the KB unless he gets a solid spotting on you. So, I think it a great use ....



:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
It did turn out to be a nice little attack. I did learn (again) that some of the carriers in MKB have little staying power. The CVEs Taiyo and Unyo have 90 sorties and Ryujo has little more. I'm going to pull one of the CVEs out and replace the DB naval bombing pilots with naval search or ASW pilots. That CVE will become an escort for the Tonan Whalers. I'll probably do something similar with the other CVE. Not sure what she'll escort yet though.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16715
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by Mike Solli »

sfatula wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 5:12 pm
Mike Solli wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 3:47 am
sfatula wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2026 8:43 pm 29th division, 116th infantry.
OMG! That's amazing. Which company? I'm really interested in doing a little research on that. He landed in the first wave at Omaha Beach.
1st Battalion, D Company. The book Beyond the Beachhead was written by a guy in his company, Bob Slaughter. I met him and the few other survivors many times at an annual reunion. Great guys.
Thanks. I need to pick up that book.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
RangerJoe
Posts: 19755
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:39 pm
Location: Who knows?

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by RangerJoe »

Mike Solli wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2026 3:45 am
PaxMondo wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:05 pm
Mike Solli wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2026 2:12 pm Some of you may be asking why I'm "risking" MKB on a wild goose chase to get some cargo ships, a tanker and a few old DDs?
Actually, .... NO. I think it a great idea and would likely do the same with similar circumstances ... Ted can't know whether this is the MKB or the KB unless he gets a solid spotting on you. So, I think it a great use ....



:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
It did turn out to be a nice little attack. I did learn (again) that some of the carriers in MKB have little staying power. The CVEs Taiyo and Unyo have 90 sorties and Ryujo has little more. I'm going to pull one of the CVEs out and replace the DB naval bombing pilots with naval search or ASW pilots. That CVE will become an escort for the Tonan Whalers. I'll probably do something similar with the other CVE. Not sure what she'll escort yet though.
Those CVEs could also carry just fighters for defensive purposes.

They could also be stationed at a base with an AKE and used for ASW work as well, moving as needed but being protected by minefields and ASW TFs as well as their own escorts. That could be useful to saturate an area to eliminate the submarines. As far as carrying the resources and oil all of the way to Japan, just bypass Singapore and let the magic highway do its job.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing! :o

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
:twisted: ; Julia Child


Image
User avatar
PaxMondo
Posts: 11239
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by PaxMondo »

Mike Solli wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2026 3:45 am ... I did learn (again) that some of the carriers in MKB have little staying power. The CVEs Taiyo and Unyo have 90 sorties and Ryujo has little more. ...
IIRC both of those CVE's can carry 27 planes. I put just fighters on them with sometimes a few ASW planes for the MKB TF. As you note, 90 sorties is so few attacks and then port. Anyway with the Taiyo class loaded with fighters, the Junyo and her sister can carry heavier attack groups. 2 x 27 fighters is a BIG deal for the MKB. Can't tangle with more than a couple USN CV's, but that's not their task. It protects them from an LBA raid pretty much, which is far more likely, and allows them to raid the convoy lanes ...

On the Junyo's I vary the loadouts there between mostly DB to all TB. TB's at 6000 ft or so bombing can get really big hits, and if they choose 800kg bombs, a hit is a kill on almost all AK or DD class ships. If they choose torps, that's fine too. This is how I "finish train" up my TB pilots ... I can get them up to mid-70's and then move them to KB ... I never, ever have enough TB pilots. NavTorp/NabBomb takes a so much time to train.

EDIT: Just read RJ's post and he suggests the same thing for the Taiyo class: all fighters.




:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
Pax
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16715
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by Mike Solli »

I do like the idea of fighters and maybe a little ASW on those little CVEs. The problem I have is, where do I find the fighter groups? The only IJN fighters I have in the front line are the ones that start the war with 23 Air Flotilla, 2x 31 and 4x 9 plane units. EVERYTHING else is training. I have about 100 IJN fighter pilots in the pool and very few are at 70 defense.

Now, the fighter pilots in MKB are all very good. They've had far more air to air combat than KB, which brought their skills up quite a bit. Later on, I'll post the kills and losses by carrier.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16715
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by Mike Solli »

7 Feb 43

Sub War

Nothing to report.

5 Fleet

The BB bombardment TF hit before the assault went in.

The deliberate assault got 1.58:1 odds reducing the forts from 2 to 1. They, I believe, are on their last legs. In the enemy bombardment after the attack, I learned that their raw AV dropped from 462 to 401 from the attack. That was nice to see. I'll attack again when the bombardment TF replenishes at Attu and returns.

If anyone is wondering, Attu has a level 3 port, and can replenish the 18" shells of the Yamato class (and everything smaller) with some AKEs there. (I have 6 AKEs there to feed the guns.)

4 Fleet

Fifteen Vals from KB sank what appeared to be the last ship in the lost enemy TF, a big EC2 AK. They're going to hang out in the area another day just in case there's something else to sink.


SE Fleet

The bombardment damage of Rennell Island has been largely repaired and most (if not all) of the damaged planes are flying again. Nine Corsairs and 11 Wildcats swept Tulagi in preparation of the 22 heavy bombers and 11 Dauntlesses escorted by another 15 Wildcats, which hit the airfield. It's nice that they are ignoring Lunga, which have built up the forts to 2.83 (the goal is level 3). There are also a dozen 20 mm AAA guns to surprise the Dauntlesses when they return.

Madang still has the attention of 3 squadrons of enemy fighter sweep: 9 Kittyhawk IIIs, 16 Spitfire Vcs and 15 Spitfire Vcs. They almost always come in separately. I'm planning an ambush which I hope happens soon. Sixty Georges would be a pleasant surprise for them, I suspect.

SRA

Eighteen Oscars from Saumlaki surprised 6 Wildcats over Darwin shooting down 2 and damaging the rest for no loss. Apparently, a couple more Wildcats were op losses.

The combined might of MKB put full deck loads into the air over Pt. Hedland heavily damaging an xAP and ACM. Immediately after, I heard sinking sounds, which had to be the ACM. They're headed home now. I see only one ship in port (probably the xAP) and there are at least a couple of enemy subs in the area sniffing around. They've done good work. I'll have a roll up of what they did (along with KB too) later.

Burma

Nothing to report.

China

The bombers didn't fly again today. Lots of thunderstorms in China. The bombardment destroyed 18 squads.

Raw AV:
Japan: 4192 (+53)
China: 1966 (-9)
Enemy strength: k (k)
Enemy units: 92 units (+1) - 14 Construction Regiment
Guns: 423 (+13)

Other Stuff

The N1K2-J George R&D advanced to 9/43 and is expected to become operational 3/2/43. Can't wait!
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16715
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by Mike Solli »

8 Feb 43

Sub War

The Harder is the current sub at Adak. So far, she's shot 10 torpedoes (of 30?) at primarily PBs in fast transport TFs. No one has done appreciable damage to her either.

5 Fleet

The Allies at Adak bombarded again. It's interesting to note that the Allied raw AV increased only by 1 to 402. The next attack should happen in a couple of days.

4 Fleet

The seas were swept by KB 2. They're headed for Truk.

SE Fleet

The 9 Kittyhawks and 31 Spitfires swept Madang again today. Tomorrow, they'll meet up to 60 Georges there.

Tulagi was hit/swept by similar numbers of enemy planes as yesterday.

Lunga is happily building forts, which are up to 2.85.

SRA

Something else sank at the beginning of the turn. No doubt from Pt. Hedland. That xAP that was hit yesterday maybe? The detection level is still 7/10 and I see no ships in port. I'll count that as a clean sweep. ;)

Burma

Nothing to report.

China

The bombers flew! The bombing/bombardment today destroyed 33 squads.

Raw AV:
Japan: 4257 (+65)
China: 1942 (-24)
Enemy strength: 272k (-1k)
Enemy units: 92 units (no change)
Guns: 380 (-43)

I think I forgot to mention that the resting divisions are marching back to Chungking and will arrive in ~2 days and will attack the day after.

Other Stuff

Nothing to report.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
RangerJoe
Posts: 19755
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:39 pm
Location: Who knows?

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by RangerJoe »

Mike Solli wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2026 12:40 pm I do like the idea of fighters and maybe a little ASW on those little CVEs. The problem I have is, where do I find the fighter groups? The only IJN fighters I have in the front line are the ones that start the war with 23 Air Flotilla, 2x 31 and 4x 9 plane units. EVERYTHING else is training. I have about 100 IJN fighter pilots in the pool and very few are at 70 defense.

Now, the fighter pilots in MKB are all very good. They've had far more air to air combat than KB, which brought their skills up quite a bit. Later on, I'll post the kills and losses by carrier.
Expand their air units, base the fighters on the CVEs with decent pilots who continue their training flying missions while the other air units do their missions from bases.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing! :o

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
:twisted: ; Julia Child


Image
User avatar
PaxMondo
Posts: 11239
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by PaxMondo »

RangerJoe wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2026 1:50 pm
Mike Solli wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2026 12:40 pm I do like the idea of fighters and maybe a little ASW on those little CVEs. The problem I have is, where do I find the fighter groups? The only IJN fighters I have in the front line are the ones that start the war with 23 Air Flotilla, 2x 31 and 4x 9 plane units. EVERYTHING else is training. I have about 100 IJN fighter pilots in the pool and very few are at 70 defense.

Now, the fighter pilots in MKB are all very good. They've had far more air to air combat than KB, which brought their skills up quite a bit. Later on, I'll post the kills and losses by carrier.
Expand their air units, base the fighters on the CVEs with decent pilots who continue their training flying missions while the other air units do their missions from bases.
As RJ notes, he and I would just re-size the current CV air group to 27 ... BUT, you do not re-size so, I would just gather air groups until you get 27 on there. And given that you will be piecing groups together to do this, I would definitely encourage you to make one of the groups ASW ... it will extend the life of the MKB considerably. :!:

Yes, you can use some of your training or other active groups for this. Remember, these pilots train up as well and then you send them to the KB ...





:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
Pax
User avatar
PaxMondo
Posts: 11239
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by PaxMondo »

Mike Solli wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2026 1:31 pm 8 Feb 43
China

The bombers flew! The bombing/bombardment today destroyed 33 squads.

Raw AV:
Japan: 4257 (+65)
China: 1942 (-24)
Enemy strength: 272k (-1k)
Enemy units: 92 units (no change)
Guns: 380 (-43)

I think I forgot to mention that the resting divisions are marching back to Chungking and will arrive in ~2 days and will attack the day after.
Continue to be impressed with your ability to take CK in Feb43 ... in my game(s) any time after Aug42 is ... difficult ... Feb43? I don't think I'd be able to be successful.





:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
Pax
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”