To patch or not to patch.

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Post Reply
User avatar
general billy
Posts: 914
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:40 am
Location: London UK

To patch or not to patch.

Post by general billy »

Ive been looking for a few opponents recently but it seems that everyone is using the beta patches. Im still using version 1.6 which I think is the norm, should I upgrade to whatever the lastest beta patch is, and get all my PBEM opponents to do the same. I dont know why people want to start games using beta patches, because I think people using them should be testing them and not insisting that its a requirement to play to PBEM. People should be using standard patches. I know the solution is to have multiply installations, but I dont like the idea that everyone is just getting the beta patches, forceing me to install another installation especially when I dont have the space. So is it worth just me installing the beta patches, or just wait for the official one.
Image
WITP Games
Scen 16 as Allied = Lost
Scen 13 as Jap = Won
Scen 15 as Allied = Won
Scen 16 as Jap = NA
WPO Games
Scen 6 as Allied = Won
Scen 6 as Japs = NA
Speedysteve
Posts: 15990
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Reading, England

RE: To patch or not to patch.

Post by Speedysteve »

To each their own.

I am still on 1.602 and will wait until the next official patch before upgrading.

Steven
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16723
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: To patch or not to patch.

Post by Mike Solli »

I'm sticking with 1.6 until the bugs are worked out of the patches. There are too many to risk my PBEM games.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Admiral DadMan
Posts: 3426
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2002 10:00 am
Location: A Lion uses all its might to catch a Rabbit

RE: To patch or not to patch.

Post by Admiral DadMan »

I've heard from 2 very reliable sources that v1.602 is the most stable at this point, so that's what I'm using.
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
Image
User avatar
mc3744
Posts: 1957
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:04 pm
Location: Italy

RE: To patch or not to patch.

Post by mc3744 »

I'm only using 1.60 and 1.602

I'd wait for the stable.
Nec recisa recedit
Tophat
Posts: 459
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2002 5:07 am
Location: Cleveland,Ohio

RE: To patch or not to patch.

Post by Tophat »



ditto
User avatar
Admiral DadMan
Posts: 3426
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2002 10:00 am
Location: A Lion uses all its might to catch a Rabbit

RE: To patch or not to patch.

Post by Admiral DadMan »

ORIGINAL: mc3744

I'm only using 1.60 and 1.602

I'd wait for the stable.

I've had no problems with 1.602 in either W98SE or WinXP. No crashes, nada.
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
Image
GaryChildress
Posts: 6933
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: The Divided Nations of Earth

RE: To patch or not to patch.

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: general billy

Ive been looking for a few opponents recently but it seems that everyone is using the beta patches. Im still using version 1.6 which I think is the norm, should I upgrade to whatever the lastest beta patch is, and get all my PBEM opponents to do the same. I dont know why people want to start games using beta patches, because I think people using them should be testing them and not insisting that its a requirement to play to PBEM. People should be using standard patches. I know the solution is to have multiply installations, but I dont like the idea that everyone is just getting the beta patches, forceing me to install another installation especially when I dont have the space. So is it worth just me installing the beta patches, or just wait for the official one.

It's been said that the 1.7x betas are having problems. We've been sticking to 1.6x in my two games I'm in waiting for an official patch to come out. 1.60 is supposed to have the disappearing unit problem and 1.70 beta is supposed to have some problems with air units showing up at enemy bases. I haven't heard too many complaints about 1.602. There's also the disappearing leader bug which is a problem in some versions, not sure which ones as I haven't noticably encountered it yet. I'm hoping Matrix comes out with a comprehensive patch on the next one. [8|]
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”