Squad Assault West Front

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

BombsAway
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:19 pm

Squad Assault West Front

Post by BombsAway »

[8|] Just got this game and Napolean's Battles included, have had a quick look at it and it seems immense with great depth and reality. Likewise the latter one also. But neither of them on the GMX forum or Matrix forum and neither featured on their list of games.

Just wondered if you fellas know anything about them, if anyone has played them and reactions.

As I enjoy good tactical and strategic RTS and Turn Based games and look forward to participating in these forums.

Many thanks BombsAway
User avatar
Sarge
Posts: 2197
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2003 7:46 am
Location: ask doggie

RE: Squad Assault West Front

Post by Sarge »

They moved the forum for EYSA, here is the link.


*LINK*

User avatar
Hertston
Posts: 3317
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2002 3:45 pm
Location: Cornwall, UK

RE: Squad Assault West Front

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: BombsAway

[8|] and Napolean's Battles included..


That is NOT a plus... its ghastly. Although I should point out that game has nothing to do with Matrix and was bundled by GMX.
User avatar
RealChuckB
Posts: 284
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:40 pm

RE: Squad Assault West Front

Post by RealChuckB »

Squad Assault West Front was one of the biggest dissapointments for me in the last 3 years. I tried hard to like the game, but gave up in the end.

I still can't believe, how much they screwed up Close Combat when porting it to the third dimension ...
Some of the problems: Terrible wayfinding routine; squads that would spend ALL their ammo within less than 2 minutes after the first contact; terrible squad management (only one guy would shoot at the enemy, and of course would get shot within seconds, while his buddys who seem to have a clean LoS wander around clueless etc.
I heard that the predecessor was even worse (G.I. Combat) but I find it hard to believe ...

Chuck

P.S. Forget one thing: I find it "bold" (to say at least) that they dare to offer this exact "game" again after almost 2 years for more or less retail price after switching publishers
User avatar
Sarge
Posts: 2197
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2003 7:46 am
Location: ask doggie

RE: Squad Assault West Front

Post by Sarge »

ORIGINAL: Chuck B.

Squad Assault West Front was one of the biggest dissapointments for me in the last 3 years. I tried hard to like the game, but gave up in the end.

Chuck


You must have not bought any games (off the shelf) since EYSA then. [8|]




User avatar
RealChuckB
Posts: 284
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:40 pm

RE: Squad Assault West Front

Post by RealChuckB »

I would say I bought probably more than 20. And your cute little rolling eyes made me even think again about what I wrote in my last e-mail.

Still: EYSA was one of the biggest dissapointments for me in the last 3 years.

Chuck
User avatar
Veldor
Posts: 1435
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2002 9:32 am
Location: King's Landing

RE: Squad Assault West Front

Post by Veldor »

As I mentioned in another thread, my main problem was with the camera controls. I could just never get a comfort level with them like I could in other games. Things that I should have been able to do with the mouse I had to do with the keyboard instead (They 'Y' key or something it was, I forget). Add to that some of the pathfinding and related issues and it was just too frustrating for me to continue to play.

As for your guys not doing what they were suppose to, thats very much a part of the game design. It probably reflects the fact that a majority of your orders were too unreasonable (you play too aggressively). It's suppose to be more realistic.

I did try to like the game, being a huge fan of the entire Close Combat series, but ultimately I'm just to lazy with games these days. If its a demo, I have very little tolerance. If I bought the game, I've always managed to ebay them for little dollars lost. There are just so many games out there and so little time I have to really have a good reason to "force myself" to like or learn a game.

Same reason why I think tutorials need to get better in wargames (Having played other genres games where the staple is to talk you through a very interactive tutorial).

Still, Id imagine this series has gotten way better. But given its no longer carried by any publisher I follow, I'm not even aware of what those titles are, where to buy them, when they've been released etc.
User avatar
old man of the sea
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: Waynesboro, PA
Contact:

RE: Squad Assault West Front

Post by old man of the sea »

Veldor wrote,

*Still, Id imagine this series has gotten way better. But given its no longer carried by any publisher*

Veldor,

SA is still in stores world wide under Got Game, BHV, Merscom, and DreamCatcher labels.

More to come after V*I*C*E

E
"Point me to a 'civilised' part of the General Forum and I'll steer way clear of it." - Soddball

Some people can tell what time it is by looking at the sun, but I never have been able to make out the numbers.
Real and Simulated Wars
Posts: 453
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:11 pm
Contact:

RE: Squad Assault West Front

Post by Real and Simulated Wars »

Hi Eric,
Nice to see you around.
One of the things that could enhance EYSA/SASW for the the single player experience is the computer oponent not being able to see your troops without LOS.

User avatar
Jevhaddah_Slitherine
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:38 am
Location: Scotland

RE: Squad Assault West Front

Post by Jevhaddah_Slitherine »

I have had this on my shelf for sometime now, I totally forgot about it due to encroaching senility [>:]

I have just installed it and there is a 1.08 patch availible with..apparently a 1.09 in the works... soooo I will be giving it a go later in the week.

I have not installed the Napoleon Disk yet... but who knows.. I am game for anything me [:D]

Cheers
Jevvy
from Scotland
I am really quite mad yoo know!
User avatar
ravinhood
Posts: 3829
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:26 am

RE: Squad Assault West Front

Post by ravinhood »

It's hard to get into EYSA or even Close Combat after playing Combat Mission and SPWAW. I just don't like those real action games. The interface was clunky on both but I must say the AI in EYSA would kick your butt, that mainly because your men never really did what you wanted them to do. Much the same I got out of Close Combat just never appealed to me either one. But, I have them all in my collection, they were all cheap on ebay. Just glad I didn't throw good money away for a retail purchase.
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?


civdiv
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:23 pm

RE: Squad Assault West Front

Post by civdiv »

What is the difference between this Squad Assault and Squad Assault: Second Wave? I just picked up the latter really cheap on EBay.
Never fall in love with your plan
User avatar
Sarge
Posts: 2197
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2003 7:46 am
Location: ask doggie

RE: Squad Assault West Front

Post by Sarge »


Come on rainhood,

CC was worth every penny at retail, hell I wish I could get the same return from my Broker as I got from CC, drunk tankers and all. [:D]

I do agree with your opinion of CM, I have yet found anything even close to the tactical game play,depth or realism that CM offers.

Hands down best tactical title for PC EVER
User avatar
Zap
Posts: 3631
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:13 am
Location: LAS VEGAS TAKE A CHANCE

RE: Squad Assault West Front

Post by Zap »

Sarge,

One problem keeping me from enjoying CM is the 3D. It still seems akward to me.(Its a personal thing) I like top down or 2D better. My preference is no reflexion on game play. Still, gone to need time to feel at ease with this 3D title. Have not forgotten about our pbem.
User avatar
Sarge
Posts: 2197
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2003 7:46 am
Location: ask doggie

RE: Squad Assault West Front

Post by Sarge »

Hi Zap,

Your L.O.S. tool and smoke are your best friend, and NEVER lead with Armor[;)]

PS: use snipers as scouts
User avatar
Zap
Posts: 3631
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:13 am
Location: LAS VEGAS TAKE A CHANCE

RE: Squad Assault West Front

Post by Zap »

Sarge,

I will take your points because I did lead with armour and got killed!
User avatar
ShermanM4
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:51 pm

RE: Squad Assault West Front

Post by ShermanM4 »

CC was worth every penny at retail, hell I wish I could get the same return from my Broker as I got from CC, drunk tankers and all.

Ahh yes the drunken tankers was the best part of CC. I loved the drunken tanker duels. I remember pitting two opposing tanks against each other made me hold my breath.[:o] I think your odds of winning vegas craps or roullette were better than your odds of winning a tank duel in CC. Sarge if your misty for it,You know in CM you can close your eyes and aimlessly plot way points.[:D] It works the same way. I wish CM's maps were as beautiful as CC's.
Image
"Perserverance and spirit have done wonders in all ages."

~General George Washington

User avatar
ravinhood
Posts: 3829
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:26 am

RE: Squad Assault West Front

Post by ravinhood »

I wish CM's maps were as beautiful as CC's.

WHAT!!??? You must be playing a different CC map than I did cause the maps in A Bridge to Far weren't that great. Reminded me of that game, wargame construction set I think it was.

@SARGE, to each their own Sarge I don't begrudge the game, I just don't like the way it plays. Too used to CM and SPWAW I guess. I don't like to be rushed and I don't like using the pause button either. I refuse to use the pause button in "real time games" lol it doesn't make sense to use it if it's a "real time game"! ;)

Heh you wanna play a game that will make you wish had a pause button try Sacrifice out sometime. I swear it's the funniest real time game I've ever played and the only one I ever played to the finish.
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?


User avatar
RealChuckB
Posts: 284
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:40 pm

RE: Squad Assault West Front

Post by RealChuckB »

ORIGINAL: ravinhood
I wish CM's maps were as beautiful as CC's.

WHAT!!??? You must be playing a different CC map than I did cause the maps in A Bridge to Far weren't that great. Reminded me of that game, wargame construction set I think it was.

@SARGE, to each their own Sarge I don't begrudge the game, I just don't like the way it plays. Too used to CM and SPWAW I guess. I don't like to be rushed and I don't like using the pause button either. I refuse to use the pause button in "real time games" lol it doesn't make sense to use it if it's a "real time game"! ;)

Heh you wanna play a game that will make you wish had a pause button try Sacrifice out sometime. I swear it's the funniest real time game I've ever played and the only one I ever played to the finish.

Ravinhood,

Well, Close Combat 2 (A Bridge too far) came out in 1997 and is therefore almost 10 years old (CM was released in 2000). Apparently you missed Close Combat 3, 4 and 5. 3 looks already better than 2 and 4 and 5 are still very nice looking games (and support all resolutions that your graphic card is able to display).

Chuck
User avatar
Marc von Martial
Posts: 5292
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Bonn, Germany
Contact:

RE: Squad Assault West Front

Post by Marc von Martial »

ORIGINAL: ravinhood
I wish CM's maps were as beautiful as CC's.

WHAT!!??? You must be playing a different CC map than I did cause the maps in A Bridge to Far weren't that great. Reminded me of that game, wargame construction set I think it was.

For its time the CC 2 "A Bridge too Far" maps were exceptional. You have to compare CM to Close Combat 4 or 5 maps to make your point valid [;)]
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”