Page 6 of 6

RE: Tree Improvement Project

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:00 pm
by Mad Russian
ORIGINAL: benpark

These run fine for me, but I want to be sure there won't be slowdown for lower end systems. Since we can't billboard, can I still do the LOD models with only 1 face (as opposed to the two there are now)?

I have a low end system if you want me to do some tests with your map.

The reduced visibility is much more realistic. The discussion I've seen here on how sight rays work where a tree trunk can't block LOS 100% didn't seem at all right. 6 turns to contact is still good. Most of my scenarios are set where you gain contact within the first 5 turns.

I come to a wargame to fight. 6 turns is very acceptable. Especially since most PC scenarios played vs the AI seem to take tremendously longer to play than their CM counterparts. Played H2H they seem to be much shorter.

Better trees and LOS will be a big step forward. So, while I can't help with the graphics, I can help with playtesting if you need it.

Good Hunting.

MR

RE: Tree Improvement Project

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:19 pm
by Erik Rutins
Ben,

That's looking great. If you send me the trees and the map you're using, I can take a look on three test systems of different power levels to see what performance is like and to see if the sighting system is still performing within expected parameters.

Regards,

- Erik

RE: Tree Improvement Project

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:33 pm
by benpark
This map is more dense than I would probably make it normally, so it's cover is going to be more extreme than normal. One plus with the new trees is that they are more WYSIWYG- I have tried very hard to make the model conform to the image you see.

Thanks for the offer to test them. I'm nearly there, but there are a few things to iron out. I'll PM you (and anyone else that would like to test them) as soon as they are ready.

Erik, I'll email you today.

RE: Tree Improvement Project

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:51 pm
by Mraah
Ben,

The trees look very,very good.

If you haven't had the opportunity to look, the original Pck models had polygon counts ranging from 16-32 ... just to give you an idea.

Also, you might want to make half size models of your trees to represent the saplings. Are you planning on making winter versions of your trees?

And, finally ... A summer scene should contain more underbrush compared to a winter scene. I like your current brush models but I'm thinking that the color should be more like your tree's ... It seems your brush textures seem a bit dark to me.

Anyway, to help degrade LOS through a summer wooded area it may help to have low polygon underbrush.

Thanks for your work!

Rob

RE: Tree Improvement Project

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:54 pm
by Mraah
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I can take a look on three test systems of different power levels to see what performance is like and to see if the sighting system is still performing within expected parameters.

Erik,

When you get a chance ... After your testing, could you let Rick know what the recommended parameters are ... I'm thinking it would be nice to have him include that in his manual so players can have a rough gauge for an expected FPS rate under a specific cpu system.

Thanks,

Rob

RE: Tree Improvement Project

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:41 pm
by benpark
Rob, all trees are scaled in 3 sizes- small, medium and large trees.

The brush can be redone at some point. There are a few things I've added that make for small, brush-like objects (the yew tree for example). I'm going to need a break to deal with "real" work for a while now, though. Sorry, no winter trees at this point.

RE: Tree Improvement Project

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:24 am
by benpark
I just need to complete the fall trees and then do the LODs. I think I have the process for doing the LODs figured out, so hopefully that shouldn't be too painful.

In the meantime, I included linden trees for maps in Berlin-this is the southern part of Templehof airport and surrounding area. I realize that most trees should be bare/burned for April/May, but it's a test.

This map has a lot of models on it, but it's running fine for me. It should be tested on slower rigs, though. Erik, this will be in the set I send you (still working on t so maybe an extra day or two...).

Image

RE: Tree Improvement Project

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:24 pm
by Erik Rutins
Looks great, thank you! We should definitely test it with the LODs if possible. Ben, I really appreciate the work you're doing on this. We'll all see a big improvement in the look of the maps as a result.

RE: Tree Improvement Project

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:30 pm
by benpark
I'm including some winter/dead trees. This has held it up for another day or two.

I'm up to over 50 different tree variations now, so this is going to be a lot of new stuff to populate your maps with.

RE: Tree Improvement Project

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:21 am
by RyanCrierie
AWESOME.

RE: Tree Improvement Project

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:47 am
by rickier65
ORIGINAL: benpark

I'm including some winter/dead trees. This has held it up for another day or two.

I'm up to over 50 different tree variations now, so this is going to be a lot of new stuff to populate your maps with.

Ben,

I'm looking foward to seeing this package!

Thanks!
Rick

RE: Tree Improvement Project

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:44 am
by benpark
It's 99% done, and then to Erik. I had some snags with all of the models matching up with my inept data entry in my .xml files that slowed me down. If something needs to be automated, it's a wunder-waffen to auto write the data.

I may add a few new bush models, since I've already gone completely insane with this thing.

Autumn trees below. As you can see, some look more 3d than others, but that's the compromise to get many more as well as allowing those with more aged rigs to use with speed.



Image

RE: Tree Improvement Project

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:33 pm
by Marc von Martial
Good job there [:)]

RE: Tree Improvement Project

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:17 am
by rickier65
Ben,

You even put apples on the apple trees! I can see the orchards showing up now!
(my pic may be too dark to see - but they're there!

Thanks,
Rick


Image

RE: Tree Improvement Project

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:11 am
by spellir74
That apple tree is good. It's the right leaves and branchs for apple too I believe: palmated rose like leaves.

Take your time Ben.

Take your brake, then do the important finishing of your project when you are refreshed. _But write notes before you put it all down!_ (This way you'll know what's what's when you return to your folders.)

RE: Tree Improvement Project

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:27 pm
by benpark
Oh, it's done! I know better than to leave a mod half way done. I'd forget everything.

I sent it off to Erik. He's going to look at it to be sure it's up to spec. It will either be released through the patch (soon) or me.

VERY glad you like it! I hope others do too.


RE: Tree Improvement Project

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:49 pm
by Bil H
Ben, those trees look terrific. 
 
Oh yeah, it's nice to see someone using my NATO symbols in the game. [;)]
 
Bil

RE: Tree Improvement Project

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:01 pm
by joeyeti
Hi folks,

I know I am too late, but has this been incorporated into the game via a patch or a separate download?

RE: Tree Improvement Project

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:25 pm
by junk2drive
It's been so long that I don't remember. Since it states that Ben sent the files to Erik, I would assume that they are in an update.

PCO includes some true 3D trees.