Page 57 of 193
RE: Manila Falls
Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:56 pm
by Lowpe
ORIGINAL: Olorin
Lowpe,
There was a debate in my AAR about x60 versus x30 R&D factories. I was claiming the x60 factories were repairing at the same rate and giving 2% daily bonus once repaired. Was I correct?
Olorin,
Nope, not once has a size 60 r&d facility repaired more than 1 point, or 2 points with the engine bonus.
Sad, but true. Also, I am not sure that they repair equally, it seems size 30 repair a little faster too.
RE: Manila Falls
Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:00 pm
by Lokasenna
ORIGINAL: Lowpe
ORIGINAL: Olorin
Lowpe,
There was a debate in my AAR about x60 versus x30 R&D factories. I was claiming the x60 factories were repairing at the same rate and giving 2% daily bonus once repaired. Was I correct?
Olorin,
Nope, not once has a size 60 r&d facility repaired more than 1 point, or 2 points with the engine bonus.
Sad, but true. Also, I am not sure that they repair equally, it seems size 30 repair a little faster too.
They repair equally fast, in terms of proportion. The formula for rate of repair is public. You can find it...somewhere. I think maybe even in the manual. A size 60 will repair to 60 at the same rate as a size 30 will repair to 30. Obviously there is variation, so this is only exactly true for a large enough sample size.
But no - they only provide 1 point per day. The only reason to have a larger factory is if you are going to switch it to production and want it to be producing more than 30 per month when it switches. I can think of several airframes where this is the case.
RE: Manila Falls
Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:22 pm
by Lowpe
ORIGINAL: Lokasenna
ORIGINAL: Lowpe
ORIGINAL: Olorin
Lowpe,
There was a debate in my AAR about x60 versus x30 R&D factories. I was claiming the x60 factories were repairing at the same rate and giving 2% daily bonus once repaired. Was I correct?
Olorin,
Nope, not once has a size 60 r&d facility repaired more than 1 point, or 2 points with the engine bonus.
Sad, but true. Also, I am not sure that they repair equally, it seems size 30 repair a little faster too.
They repair equally fast, in terms of proportion. The formula for rate of repair is public. You can find it...somewhere. I think maybe even in the manual. A size 60 will repair to 60 at the same rate as a size 30 will repair to 30. Obviously there is variation, so this is only exactly true for a large enough sample size.
But no - they only provide 1 point per day. The only reason to have a larger factory is if you are going to switch it to production and want it to be producing more than 30 per month when it switches. I can think of several airframes where this is the case.
Yep, you are correct as far as I know.
Just pointing out the ancedotal evidence I have witnessed here. [:)]
RE: Manila Falls
Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:24 pm
by Olorin
I see. I could swear I was consistenly seeing a 2% gain in my previous games, but I must be mistaken.
RE: Manila Falls
Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:35 pm
by Lowpe
ORIGINAL: Olorin
I see. I could swear I was consistenly seeing a 2% gain in my previous games, but I must be mistaken.
Probably a patch? Maybe? Maybe it works that way in realistic r&d off?
RE: Manila Falls
Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:04 pm
by Lokasenna
ORIGINAL: Lowpe
ORIGINAL: Olorin
I see. I could swear I was consistenly seeing a 2% gain in my previous games, but I must be mistaken.
Probably a patch? Maybe? Maybe it works that way in realistic r&d off?
Sure doesn't.
2% per day would mean engine bonus.
RE: Manila Falls
Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:12 am
by Lowpe
2nd Week of October, 1942
I made a mistake last turn, with not stopping training some units, and they pay the price today.
This day's mistake is not moving a sighted sub, and losing one.
But, we are moving forward with our date of destiny.

RE: Manila Falls
Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:12 am
by Lowpe
Lots of Allied shipping.

RE: Manila Falls
Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:13 am
by Lowpe
A wonderfully designed SAG for the Allies. At least I think so, as I didn't double check the destroyers.
Allies have moved another 4E squadron here, and my attempt at getting him to sweep because of the Rufes, failed. He bombed anyway.
RE: Manila Falls
Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:15 am
by Lowpe
I get to take my time with the turn, since Jocke can't flip a turn until after Easter. I hope to put the time to good use, but family might beckon too much.[;)]
Happy Easter btw!
RE: Manila Falls
Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:27 am
by Lowpe
Pacific Northwest

RE: Manila Falls
Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:40 pm
by Lowpe
I fully expect a battleship bombardment of Chittagong tonight.[X(] Moonlight is 3%.
So, to try and create some "friction," to steal a term from another AAR, I am dropping two (2) fields of 40 Type 88 mines bringing the total to just shy of 300 total mines at Chittagong. These subs have been sitting for days awaiting a ripe opportunity.
The Type 88 is a very potent mine and Iboat dropped.
Then to add to the mix, I have maxed night naval search over Chittagong and restricted it to Chittagong hoping to get some good detection on the bombarding forces.
In addition, I set yesterday 45 Betties to night naval attack. So tonight they should be ready to fly.
And, I am sweeping Diamond Harbor with 40 A6M5s hoping to catch Allied bleeding CAP -- perhaps from his carriers or from Calcutta.
I have dispatched a sub to Diamond Harbor to rescue pilots. Hopefully they won't blow up on a mine or get nailed by ASW.
I have put another group of Betties at a 20,000 foot torpedo attack with lots of escorts and a range just shy of Calcutta and the uber CAP there.
And finally, this very small squadron of 2 destroyers (very nice surface destroyers) will run into Chittagong. I like using very small squadrons, and this will be a good use of the tactic (I would prefer a third destroyer).
I wish I could add some midget subs and mtbs to the mix...but can't yet.
I am hoping several things. That perhaps a mine hits a battleship, the ships are spotted at Chittagong and suffer a night torpedo attack by the destroyers, and then an aerial attack, followed on by being finished off during the morning by a daytime attack as they don't retreat far and the sweeping Zeroes divert some LRCAP.
It is a lot to ask, and probably nothing will happen, but these kind of combined holistic attacks are bread and butter to me.[:)]

RE: Manila Falls
Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:09 pm
by Alfred
If you have a high confidence level on the data shown in post #1131, it is going to be very tough to achieve anything worthwhile in Oregon and Washington. OTOH Prince Rupert is not heavily garrisoned.
Which makes one return to the issue of how to set up your maskirovka. After all, leaving it so late in the campaigning season the West Coat operation is very much dependent on a good maskirovka.
Terrace and Prince George are usually not well garrisoned. They can be very vulnerable to a para coup de main. That would both set up good road blocks and allow for strategic movement from Prince Rupert to make the threat of moving on the big Canadian industrial centres before USA reinforcements arrive a credible threat.
Therefore with the low garrison displayed, an initial landing at Prince Rupert, supported by your surrounding airfields and the long distance from Allied airfields which can support Allied fighters, could tempt your opponent to move his reserves north into Canada. You of course would be landing with the minimum of force necessary to secure Prince Rupert (naturally with a buffer to cover the fort levels there) but your main invasion force would be of shore to land and drive on the real targets in America. With luck those real targets will be weakened by either having part of their garrisons moved to defeat your "silly" move on Prince Rupert or the reserves earmarked for their reinforcement instead moved up north.
Alfred
RE: Manila Falls
Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:58 am
by Lowpe
ORIGINAL: Alfred
If you have a high confidence level on the data shown in post #1131, it is going to be very tough to achieve anything worthwhile in Oregon and Washington. OTOH Prince Rupert is not heavily garrisoned.
Which makes one return to the issue of how to set up your maskirovka. After all, leaving it so late in the campaigning season the West Coat operation is very much dependent on a good maskirovka.
Terrace and Prince George are usually not well garrisoned. They can be very vulnerable to a para coup de main. That would both set up good road blocks and allow for strategic movement from Prince Rupert to make the threat of moving on the big Canadian industrial centres before USA reinforcements arrive a credible threat.
Therefore with the low garrison displayed, an initial landing at Prince Rupert, supported by your surrounding airfields and the long distance from Allied airfields which can support Allied fighters, could tempt your opponent to move his reserves north into Canada. You of course would be landing with the minimum of force necessary to secure Prince Rupert (naturally with a buffer to cover the fort levels there) but your main invasion force would be of shore to land and drive on the real targets in America. With luck those real targets will be weakened by either having part of their garrisons moved to defeat your "silly" move on Prince Rupert or the reserves earmarked for their reinforcement instead moved up north.
Alfred
We are so on the same page here.
RE: Manila Falls
Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:03 am
by Lowpe
Jocke is back unexpectedly early, and I just finished the turn prior to Easter Egg hunts and Celebrations. Well, not much chance of hunts when your kids are grown, but a nice family gathering later and service.
I am interested to see if I predicated the bombardment of Chittagong correctly, and what all my various actions will do.
I am also taking some actions out at the New Hebrides, really designed as nothing more than skirmishing and distraction from the west coast.
Finally, I am preparing for the Indian campaign to morph into the Burma Campaign. More on this later.
Plus of course, the west coast invasion continues to be planned, reconned, prepared, and deceived for.[;)]
RE: Manila Falls
Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:23 pm
by Lowpe
This intel gives me great hope for the West Coast invasion.

RE: Manila Falls
Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:25 pm
by Lowpe
Really quiet day...
no bombardment of Chittagong, but the Allies are getting into position to do so.

RE: Manila Falls
Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:28 pm
by Lowpe
Ok,in the New Hebrides,I am trying a new (& dare I say risky) surface action group designed to take on the Boise Task force powerhouse.
Not sure how it will work out, here is hoping for the best.
RE: Manila Falls
Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:29 pm
by Lokasenna
...is Coos Bay really empty?
RE: Manila Falls
Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:34 pm
by Encircled
I'm very impressed that you are still going ahead with this plan!