Page 2 of 7
RE: AE Released at what date?
Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:20 pm
by sventhebold
One of the problems I have seen in the past is each module of programming works relatively well
and then when you put it all together and beta test it mutates into a monster mess. So even with the
best of intentions it can crash and burn for the most unexpected reasons.[:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(]
RE: AE Released at what date?
Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:23 pm
by DuckofTindalos
ORIGINAL: sventhebold
One of the problems I have seen in the past is each module of programming works relatively well
and then when you put it all together and beta test it mutates into a monster mess. So even with the
best of intentions it can crash and burn for the most unexpected reasons.[:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(]
Heh, too true. That's one of the reasons why I was never good at coding (other than my room-temperature IQ)...
RE: AE Released at what date?
Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:20 pm
by jwilkerson
ORIGINAL: sventhebold
One of the problems I have seen in the past is each module of programming works relatively well
and then when you put it all together and beta test it mutates into a monster mess. So even with the
best of intentions it can crash and burn for the most unexpected reasons.
We've been doing integrated weekly builds for over a year and have been doing weekly Matrix Installer builds for a couple of months now - so "integrated testing" is 97% of the testing we're doing. Our only major issue is the AI - but one side benefit is that the delay in this area is allowing the other areas more time for "polishing" ... we just hope the polishing fixes more bugs than it makes!
[:D]
RE: AE Released at what date?
Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:07 pm
by pad152
Glad to see a major effort put into the AI, it needs it! [;)]
It'll be a great year for wargaming, I just hope AE isn't released at the same time as Jutland and/or Supremacy at Sea (two other games with no release date)! [:D] Looks like it's not the year for wargaming lite! [:)]
RE: AE Released at what date?
Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:04 pm
by Andy Mac
AI is the thing that takes time just to get it working and is pretty much all some of us are working on - its probably taken more time than any other aspect of the game and it still isnt working properly.
I have probably ran about 1,000 turns in the last two weeks of AI testing as Joe said just getting it to go where it should go with sufficient strength is a challenge !!!!
But we are still working on it.
Andy
RE: AE Released at what date?
Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:06 pm
by Andy Mac
I guess the answer to the original question is AE will be released a few weeks after we get the AI operating at the same level as stock - which it isnt yet
RE: AE Released at what date?
Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:26 pm
by joey
As for me, I like the idea of a better AI. I can wait a few more weeks to get a more functional AI. Keep up the good work.
RE: AE Released at what date?
Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:27 pm
by Andy Mac
All I can promise on AI performance is no worse than stock (apart form more access to the AI for modders)
Not promising any more than that.
I suspect I have ran more turns of AI testing than anyone else on the team and I have seen it pull some nice moves and a few bonehead ones don't forget the added complexity of getting the AI to use all the new features.
RE: AE Released at what date?
Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:44 pm
by DuckofTindalos
[&o][&o]
RE: AE Released at what date?
Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:53 pm
by joey
ORIGINAL: Andy Mac
All I can promise on AI performance is no worse than stock (apart form more access to the AI for modders)
Not promising any more than that.
I suspect I have ran more turns of AI testing than anyone else on the team and I have seen it pull some nice moves and a few bonehead ones don't forget the added complexity of getting the AI to use all the new features.
I'm good with that. I suspect most of us are. I am just hoping to have it ready when the 90 degree days arrive in the summer. I might as well turn up the heat with WITP!
RE: AE Released at what date?
Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:04 pm
by pmelheck1
just remember - debugging is art of removing bugs which makes programing the art of putting them in!
RE: AE Released at what date?
Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:12 am
by jwilkerson
ORIGINAL: pad152
Glad to see a major effort put into the AI, it needs it! [;)]
It'll be a great year for wargaming, I just hope AE isn't released at the same time as Jutland and/or Supremacy at Sea (two other games with no release date)! [:D] Looks like it's not the year for wargaming lite! [:)]
We tried to avoid it (major effort) [:)] ... but the AI has a mind of its own [;)] ... it keeps tugging on us to keep trying to get it to work! [:D]
RE: AE Released at what date?
Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:16 am
by DuckofTindalos
Just when we thought we was out, it pulls us back in...[:D]
And when I say "we", I mean my excellent team colleagues fighting to wrangle this beastie. Me, I'm not smart enough.
RE: AE Released at what date?
Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:33 am
by Don Bowen
ORIGINAL: mullk
just remember - debugging is art of removing bugs which makes programing the art of putting them in!
Bugs are the unavoidable side affect of features. Features are the things programmers add to simple code (at user request) to make it complex. The real problem is users.
RE: AE Released at what date?
Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:34 am
by bradfordkay
True enough... if there were no users, then there would be no problems to fix, right? [;)]
RE: AE Released at what date?
Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:42 am
by Buck Beach
Given the state of the economy, if they don't release it soon nobody will have enough money to buy it.
RE: AE Released at what date?
Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:51 am
by Gem35
ORIGINAL: Buck Beach
Given the state of the economy, if they don't release it soon nobody will have enough money to buy it.
Better get another job then.[:)]
RE: AE Released at what date?
Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:16 am
by Hornblower
work remote, buy ae..
RE: AE Released at what date?
Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:09 am
by Chris21wen
ORIGINAL: Gem35
ORIGINAL: Buck Beach
Given the state of the economy, if they don't release it soon nobody will have enough money to buy it.
Better get another job then.[:)]
Programmer maybe[:D]
RE: AE Released at what date?
Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:15 am
by m10bob
ORIGINAL: Andy Mac
All I can promise on AI performance is no worse than stock (apart form more access to the AI for modders)
Not promising any more than that.
I suspect I have ran more turns of AI testing than anyone else on the team and I have seen it pull some nice moves and a few bonehead ones don't forget the added complexity of getting the AI to use all the new features.
Sounds like real-life..(IJN vs IJA)..