Page 2 of 2
RE: The private correspondences of Joshua E Byram
Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:45 pm
by Roger Neilson II
January 1863
Dearest Parents
Hurrah for Gen’l Grant, who would ever have doubted him. His cunning has led the Confederates to attack him in the dead of winter and near Louisville, Kn he has routed them from the field. I gather that our losses were disproportionately large, but it is hailed as a major victory and our troops are in good spirits everywhere.
I remain in North Carolina, though doubtless myself and my men will soon be part of a new great expedition.
On to victory!
Joshua
RE: The private correspondences of Joshua E Byram
Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:35 pm
by Roger Neilson II
February 1863
Dearest Parents
I have moved, and quite honestly I am much cheered about the fact I have. We are told that we must not give word of our position, apparently there are rebel spies everywhere.
The fortunes of war are harsh and change rapidly it would seem. Rumours abound that our forces at Elizabeth City were routed and driven form the enemy lands – many have been taken prisoner.
On to victory – possibly.
Joshua
RE: The private correspondences of Joshua E Byram
Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:43 pm
by Roger Neilson II
March 1863
Dearest Parents
So much for the Union triumphant. I find myself back in Washington, along with all our troops. Following the debacle to our north we were removed by our navy and repaired to safer quarters. It would seem that if we are to thrash the rebels it must be by overland.
A new campaigning season arrives, will the fortunes of war favour us or the enemy?
Joshua.
RE: The private correspondences of Joshua E Byram
Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:38 pm
by Roger Neilson II
My dearest Parents
Well a new spring, a new campaigning season. Perhaps this year will be better for us, our strength certainly grow weekly.
Expect news of a great movement, and an audacious one.
Joshua.
RE: The private correspondences of Joshua E Byram
Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:05 am
by Roger Neilson II
April 1863
Dearest Parents
Gen’l McDowell has landed at Jacksonville in Florida, that must have upset our southern malcontents! We also gather that Gen’l Forrest, a scourge on horseback, was recently wounded.
I languish still in Washington, whilst elsewhere more coastal landings are executed. In the west, strangely, nothing seems to stir, though Gen’l Grant has the largest host assembled know to mankind. When they move the earth will tremble.
Joshua.
RE: The private correspondences of Joshua E Byram
Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:08 pm
by Roger Neilson II
May 1863
Dearest Parents
I am well, though it might be that I were lying out on the Baltimore countryside, many of my comrades are. The Rebels swung north of Washington and we were detailed to intercept them along with our fellows. Our unit acquitted itself well, though some of our other regiments did not and our lines were broken. I have seen battle, I do not relish seeing it again. Gen’l Beauregard had the beating of our Gen’l Rosecrans and we have lost Gen’l Meade and over ten thousand souls. We are in a grievous state.
Meantime Gen’l Grant sits in the west and does nothing!
I despair
Joshua
RE: The private correspondences of Joshua E Byram
Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:40 am
by Moondawggie
Keep it going, Roger!
RE: The private correspondences of Joshua E Byram
Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:19 am
by Roger Neilson II
Sorry this has ended. I don't normally 'bail out' of games and I did apologise to my opponent profuesly. He understood my reasons.
There were two.
1. Pressure of work, for both of us meant that we were not getting the regulartiy of moves and I realsied that I really needed far more time to think this game through. I am sure it is a very good game, but I have made a mess of both of the ones I played and did AARs on.
2. I got desperately frustrated with the game. As it stands I don't think I will be back to it. As the union I found that the steady drip of points away and the ability of the Confederacy to move huge numbers of troops with superb leaders to counter any attacks was just demoralising. I started off thinking this game was like the ACW - and concluded it wasn't. The activation rules are too much like a lottery for me.
Sorry guys. I had enough.
Roger
RE: The private correspondences of Joshua E Byram
Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:25 am
by FeurerKrieg
Look at the bright side - you have more time to play WITP now. [:D]
RE: The private correspondences of Joshua E Byram
Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:19 pm
by Erik Rutins
ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson II
2. I got desperately frustrated with the game. As it stands I don't think I will be back to it. As the union I found that the steady drip of points away and the ability of the Confederacy to move huge numbers of troops with superb leaders to counter any attacks was just demoralising. I started off thinking this game was like the ACW - and concluded it wasn't. The activation rules are too much like a lottery for me.
Sorry to hear that Roger. I disagree with you but I understand where the frustration came from. If you haven't tried playing as the CSA against an experienced Union, it may open your eyes as to the challenges the other side faces and the balance of the game. It's very winnable for the Union.
RE: The private correspondences of Joshua E Byram
Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:46 pm
by jimkehn
[If you haven't tried playing as the CSA against an experienced Union, it may open your eyes as to the challenges the other side faces and the balance of the game. It's very winnable for the Union. ]
I have and it is!!!
RE: The private correspondences of Joshua E Byram
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:38 pm
by chris51
I agree, I was soundly trounced in the first two years by a good union player. I guess with the union you have to maximise your chances and take them when they come. Keep the CSA on the ropes. On the flipside of the coin I was hugeley down on points come january 64 but managed to pull it out of the bag and win my way to lincolns re-election just before the election took place.