Page 2 of 2
RE: Full res screenshots
Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:43 pm
by Erik Rutins
Sure, here you go:

RE: Full res screenshots
Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:54 pm
by chris0827
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
ORIGINAL: chris0827
Schlesien and Schleswig-Holstein were mostly training ships. They were smaller than Admiral Hipper class heavy crusiers and had a maximum speed of 17 knots. Modern ships would've taken them apart in a fight.
Yeah, that was more or less my recollection as well - were they WWI era dreadnoughts or later? They should probably be rated more like cruisers in that case.
They were pre-dreadnoughts completed in 1908. Can't really see them being rated at all. They had most of their armament removed between the wars and only saw a little action doing shore bombardment in the Polish campaign and one was converted to an AA battery late in the war.
RE: Full res screenshots
Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:54 pm
by Plainian
Sheesh dinner plates for cities? Job for GJK I think. Resource symbol could also do with a make over as well GJK. But the 2D unit symbols look pretty good against the subdued terrain tiles.
RE: Full res screenshots
Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:03 pm
by GJK
ORIGINAL: Plain Ian
Sheesh dinner plates for cities? Job for GJK I think. Resource symbol could also do with a make over as well GJK. But the 2D unit symbols look pretty good against the subdued terrain tiles.
Not my graphics; you have your choice between this, the others posted, NATO symbols and the little trinket symbols (heh).
If I opt to purchase the game, that graphic tile set that Erik last posted would be the one that I would work on for a different version of the map. I'm thinking something along the lines of Redmond Simonsen and something like the old "War in Europe" map.
RE: Full res screenshots
Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:13 pm
by Plainian
I've seen some of your work so I know you'll do a good job on modding things. Interesting that you mentioned War in Europe as CWiE (Computerised war in Europe for Windows) can't be far away from completion.
Will be very intersting comparing the two. CWiE a boardgame converted to PC but with no AI and playable PBEM or solo. WW2RTV which is a 'proper' PC designed game with AI and only for solo play.
Of course CWiE is going to cost and arm and a leg to buy.
RE: Full res screenshots
Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:17 pm
by GJK
I worked with the designer a bit to mod some of the graphics for CWiE2. That one also uses a "tiled" approach which makes modding not terribly difficult to do, but you get rather bland results because, well, the same image is just tiled over and over again. I had some ideas for CWiE2 that I submitted to him but no word on if those will make it into the final release.
RE: Full res screenshots
Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:41 am
by geozero
Erik,
I really liked the old boardgame graphics, in fact I would mod it even more to look like an old boardgame from far gone days of AH and SPI. It does look to me more like A3R... are the unit colors/nato icons moddable? Would love to see better looking units.
RE: Full res screenshots
Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:40 am
by rtamesis
It's difficult to make out the country borders based on these photos. Perhaps some thick dashed lines along the hexsides that make up the borders similar to the SPI maps of yesteryear would be a better fit for this game. I definitely prefer the NATO style counters.
RE: Full res screenshots
Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:59 am
by Lucky1
Too funny. I must be old school. I prefer classic map with hex. But, at least there appears to be some choice!
RE: Full res screenshots
Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:00 pm
by geozero
Is the large Europe map moddable? It would be nice to get some choices there. I'd buy this game if it was moddable. [:D] Yep, I'm a map geek...
RE: Full res screenshots
Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:28 am
by Veldor
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
The beginning of the invasion of Poland:
You guys should put a shot like this up on the games website page.
I had next to no interest in buying this title based upon the screenshots shown there.
Until I saw this screenshot. Somehow for me this game looks so much better with the hexlines and classic counters. Some sort of nostalgic sickness or whatever.
Normally Id probably prefer the more "modern" graphics but A. if the detail for those units is good its just not coming across that way in the screenshots B. its a bit too SC2 looking for me.. and C. Since the current map is a little vanilla looking it just seems to have a really nice clean look to me with the classic counter set.
Anyway at least I know if I dont end up caring for the original graphics set (and I very well may) I can definitely enjoy this classic style one.
Will probably buy soon..
RE: Full res screenshots
Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:46 am
by Duck Doc
Actually, as long as we are picking nits, wouldn't it be more correct to say that Battlecruisers sacrificed protection for speed?
At the scale of this game does it really matter?
ORIGINAL: chris0827
Scharnhorst and Gneisenau were closer to Battleships than Battlecrusiers. They could take more punishment than most battleships of that time but had weak armament. Battlecrusiers sacrificed protection for firepower. It was always planned for Scharnhost and Gneisenau to have their 11 inch guns replaced with 15 inch guns but it never happened.
RE: Full res screenshots
Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:25 am
by brianlala
You guys should put a shot like this up on the games website page.
I had next to no interest in buying this title based upon the screenshots shown there.
Until I saw this screenshot. Somehow for me this game looks so much better with the hexlines and classic counters. Some sort of nostalgic sickness or whatever.
Normally Id probably prefer the more "modern" graphics but A. if the detail for those units is good its just not coming across that way in the screenshots B. its a bit too SC2 looking for me.. and C. Since the current map is a little vanilla looking it just seems to have a really nice clean look to me with the classic counter set.
Anyway at least I know if I dont end up caring for the original graphics set (and I very well may) I can definitely enjoy this classic style one.
Will probably buy soon..
I completely concur. The screenshot of those counters make the game look 5 times better graphically. I never bought SC2 because its graphics were not my style. Now all we need are a couple of AARs to flesh out how much horsepower this game has.
RE: Full res screenshots
Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:37 am
by TOMLABEL
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
Sure, here you go:
Thanks A LOT for ALL the screenshots Erik!!
TOMLABEL