Page 2 of 2

RE: China! Arrgh!

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:30 am
by PaxMondo
ORIGINAL: witpqs
ORIGINAL: Alfred

Many players pay no attention to maintaining the chain of command considering the combat bonus to be a minor consideration.

It's my understanding that developers have offered in the past the the HQ bonus is applied regardless of whether the unit 'reports' to that HQ or not.
This is consistent with my understanding as well.

RE: China! Arrgh!

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:30 am
by Treetop64
Yeah, but I've already issued movement orders to most LCUs in China by now. As a consequence, I have a much clearer picture of the chain of command in China, with all the work rearranging things (thanks, Alfred). I think at this point that I'll just finish what I started and see how things develop.

Fortunately, most LCUs are fairly close to where they should be, but there are a few that are clear on the other side of the country and have a long, long journey in front of them! [X(]

Thanks for all the helpful replies, guys.

RE: China! Arrgh!

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:34 am
by RUPD3658
It is even worse as Japan. I am also newly back to the game and am truing Japan for the first time.

It reminds me of "In Basket" excercises we had to do for promotions. Basically they hand you a pile of papers and say that the person you are replacing dropped dead and this is what we found in his office, make the best of it.

As Japan your units are out of place, your BBs are sitting in port, and your production is not able to keep up with a week of losses. It will be Feb 42 before I would have been ready to start a war.

RE: China! Arrgh!

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:40 am
by ADB123
Been working at that for three days now (real days, not game days!). Basically, I'm working to get all the same army groups, "war areas", commands, etc. relocated under their own roofs, so to speak, so by the time they're ready for their assaults on Wuchang, Hankow, and Sinyang there will be tighter unit cohesion, and it will be much easier to see who is doing what and where. At the start - as you all know - most of the Chinese army units are scattered all over the place, and it's a mess.

I presume that you are speaking of playing against the AI, because if you are speaking of pbem, then:

1 - Don't bother organizing

2 - Pull back your troops asap to safer locations - defend in forest roads and mountain roads

3 - Put the best commanders you can in charge of any units that must fight

4 - Send your weakest units to Chungking so that they can receive replacements where you have supply

5 - Build up your forts in your key cities immediately

6 - Keep the units that you aren't rebuilding outside of cities as much as possible

7 - Keep as many units resting as possible in order to minimize supply usage

If you spend time trying to group your Chinese units against a human player, or try early advances, you are likely to be cut off, isolated, attacked piecemeal, lose your bases, and lose all of your supply except for Chungking.

I've got a pbem where my Allied opponent attempted to go on the offensive in China right from the start. I was actually able to cut the Burma Road from within China! [:D]

RE: China! Arrgh!

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:03 am
by Treetop64
Yep, AI. Still figuring things out. Not ready to play a human yet.

Sucks for your opponent! [:D]

One of the things that I love about this game is that, believe it or not, the combat is virtually a secondary function. You're so busy keeping up with logistics and strategic placement. Bores the hell out of the girlfriend! No more boring than watching her play spider solitaire on her laptop, though...[>:]