Page 2 of 4
RE: OT: Opening Day
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:23 pm
by Hanzberger
ORIGINAL: bushpsu
Stopped following baseball (except for Ripken's run up to the record) after the "94 strike. World Series cancellation was the deal-breaker for me.
I actually was the same way then a couple of years ago my friend at work got me back into it. It also helps that I have a son now and he starts T-Ball tomorrow. (4).
GO PHILS~!
RE: OT: Opening Day
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:25 pm
by Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth
Some good news for everyone though. Joe Morgan is not longer with ESPN. Finally we will be able to watch Sunday Night Baseball without the worst annonce to ever sit in fron of a microphone (well, OK, John Sterling's worse).
I've heard good things about Tampa too. Don't know much about Totonto.
Agree with you about Morgan. I liked watching him play, but what a self-satisfied, ego-driven jerk!
I'm partial to our local Twins announcers, with the color man being Bert Blyleven. He was just this year finally, finally elected to the HOF. I've learned more about the inside game of pitching listening to him than in all my years as a fan put together.
RE: OT: Opening Day
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:26 pm
by Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: jeffk3510
Royals still suck
Yep. In our division they execute what my Finance professor would call "Providing capital to the market." [:)]
Lunch is served!!!![8D]
RE: OT: Opening Day
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:27 pm
by Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
Okay, Joe Morgan was bad. John Sterling is worse. But isn't Tim McCarver the worst?
He's not my favorite, but I can stand him. Morgan got the mute button every time.
RE: OT: Opening Day
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:28 pm
by Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
P.S. The last complete NFL game that I watched was about 1981. Every now and then I happen to catch a snippet. The most recent openings to "Monday Night Football" were laughably bad. Too many commercials are ex-rated (no safety in watching football with a seven-year-old son). And the entire package of glitzy, loud, strutting fools is a sad reflection of what football used to be.
Last year my 6 Y.O. son watched the beginning of MNF with me. He was unusually transfixed to something he had previously scarcely paid attention to. Having replaced Hank Williams Junior, Shania Twain was strutting around in tight leather pants. At the end of the introduction, my son turned to me and said, "I really liked that song." Yup.
It's no better or worse than having those first stirrings watching Emma Peal of "The Avengers" when I was about his age. Don't remember why, but I *really* enjoyed watching that particular show. [X(]
RE: OT: Opening Day
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:30 pm
by Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth
Some good news for everyone though. Joe Morgan is not longer with ESPN. Finally we will be able to watch Sunday Night Baseball without the worst annonce to ever sit in fron of a microphone (well, OK, John Sterling's worse).
I've heard good things about Tampa too. Don't know much about Totonto.
Agree with you about Morgan. I liked watching him play, but what a self-satisfied, ego-driven jerk!
I'm partial to our local Twins announcers, with the color man being Bert Blyleven. He was just this year finally, finally elected to the HOF. I've learned more about the inside game of pitching listening to him than in all my years as a fan put together.
Bert doesn't do a thing for me. Too much of a homer. Same with his animatronic colleague. For old school announcers, Vin Scully is where it's at. Everyone else pales by comparsion.
RE: OT: Opening Day
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:30 pm
by sprior
The cricket season starts soon too.
RE: OT: Opening Day
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:32 pm
by Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: sprior
The cricket season starts soon too.
Feh.
How goes the so-called "Cricket peace drive" in the subcontinent?
RE: OT: Opening Day
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:32 pm
by Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: Schanilec
Listening to the Twins on the radio heading home in snow with more on the way, just seems so wrong.
So it is 'Go Fighting Sioux!' Frozen Four in St. Paul next week. NCAA Div I Hockey championship. Time to hoist Banner number 8.
Until it starts greening up around here, no baseball. When I hit that first tee-off then its spring. Looking at maybe May.[:(]
Twins home opener in about a week. It'll be in the low-50s here this weekend. Certainly no worse than NYC yesterday.
I don't follow hockey, but I saw something in the Strib about a new college hockey power conference being formed? I mean a really big change/deal, on a par with the merger of the NFL and AFL. I think the Strib made a thing of it because the Gopher already signed in? (That's the extent of my understanding. I dont' get hockey. Never fully understood the difference between icing and off-sides, and then a fight broke out while I was reading the rule book.[:)])
RE: OT: Opening Day
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:36 pm
by Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
It's no better or worse than having those first stirrings watching Emma Peal of "The Avengers" when I was about his age. Don't remember why, but I *really* enjoyed watching that particular show. [X(]
My dad always watched "Hee Haw", and not for the music. Those porch skits with the Daisy Maes in the background always resulted in him ordering me to go get him a cup of coffee. [:)]
Emma was fine, and then you had Batgirl (rrrow), and Mary Ann. Might have been in B&W, but I knew there was big, wide world out there waiting for me to learn to drive.
RE: OT: Opening Day
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:38 pm
by sprior
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: sprior
The cricket season starts soon too.
Feh.
How goes the so-called "Cricket peace drive" in the subcontinent?
Even Pakistan and India played a game against each other and no-one was killed. For the record, India won and are playing Sri Lanka tomorrow in the finals.
RE: OT: Opening Day
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:38 pm
by Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
Bert doesn't do a thing for me. Too much of a homer. Same with his animatronic colleague. For old school announcers, Vin Scully is where it's at. Everyone else pales by comparsion.
Bert is from Angels-land!!![:)] California Math ya know, ya betcha. I just like him, what can I say.
Vin was always too polyester for my taste, too "inside with management." Bert won World Series games. I'll listen to his views on pitching.
RE: OT: Opening Day
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:49 pm
by Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
I just like him, what can I say.
About three years ago, he got caught in an 'open mike' slip and suspended for dropping the F-bomb repeatedly whilest broadcasting. Immediately after he returned, I went to a Twins game and brought a posterboard saying, "Hey Bert-circle this f****ing sign!"
It didn't make it on the broadcast for some reason...[:'(]
RE: OT: Opening Day
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:50 pm
by Schanilec
Starting the Big 10 conference like in basketball and football. It just kills the big schools gettiing beat by small schools like Colorado College, Mankato State, University of North Dakota, etc. Especailly when the Gopher's lost to Holy Cross in overtime in the regionals here in Grand Forks a few years back. They still haven't lived that down. And sorry to say the U of M fans are the worst I've ever seen. They tend to be like three year olds when something does'nt go thier way. Even UND and U of Wisconsin fans get along. But not the Gopher's. And I guess one of the reasons for a new conference.
Anyway hockey is huge here and with Manitoba so near. And every Saturday is Hockey Night in Canada. And Coaches Corner with Don Cherry after the first period. Great stuff.
That is my take anyway.
Another winter strom this weekend so maybe I will be watching the home opener after all.
RE: OT: Opening Day
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:55 pm
by Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
I just like him, what can I say.
About three years ago, he got caught in an 'open mike' slip and suspended for dropping the F-bomb repeatedly whilest broadcasting. Immediately after he returned, I went to a Twins game and brought a posterboard saying, "Hey Bert-circle this f****ing sign!"
It didn't make it on the broadcast for some reason...[:'(]
That I like.[:)]
And, I'd bet that if it was up to Bert he'd have shown (and circled) it.
RE: OT: Opening Day
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:00 pm
by Schanilec
Can do another drinking game every time Bert says '...at the major league level'[:D]
RE: OT: Opening Day
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:01 pm
by Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: Schanilec
Can do another drinking game every time Bert says '...at the major league level'[:D]
Not until they're cloning livers.[8D]
RE: OT: Opening Day
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:02 pm
by Schanilec
[:D]
RE: OT: Opening Day
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:08 pm
by jeffk3510
ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
By the way, baseball was the source of one of my favorite quotes of all time.
In commenting on Braves catcher Bruce Benedict, who was unusually slow even for a catcher, Tommy Lasorda, the not-so-loveable but oh-so-quotable manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers, said: 'In a race with a pregnant woman he'd come in third."
I think it was Earl Weaver who said: Our third basemen is 20 years old, and let me tell you in 10 years he has a good chance of being 30"
RE: OT: Opening Day
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:24 pm
by RUPD3658
It is snowing here. There is no snowing in baseball!!!!!
Go Phillies!