Page 2 of 9
RE: Win 10 free upgrade
Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:55 am
by aaatoysandmore
if your on a older pc with a older version like vista or xp, you need to buy mind you as that's not supported in the roll out...
That's not necessarily so. I am on VISTA and when windows 8 came out they had a free upgrade for it and it's still active though I never installed it. But, I've found I can install it if I want to and thus my VISTA OS will go all the way to Win 10 once I install the free Windows 8 OS and get to upgrade it for free to 8.1 and then onto Win10. [:D]
RE: Win 10 free upgrade
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:42 am
by milkweg
ORIGINAL: Agathosdaimon
are the system requirements for win 10 high? my laptop is from 2011 and with win 7 and still performs very well for me - i7 8gb ram and all that
If your PC can run Win7 fine then it can run Win8 and Win10 even better. Win8/10 are designed to run on both desktop and tablet PC so they are lighter on resources than Win7.
Win10 brings back the start menu and if on Win8.1 then you should get free ClassicShell to give you back the start menu.My Win8.1 functions no differently than Win7, unless I boot into Metro, which I rarely do.
http://www.classicshell.net/
RE: Win 10 free upgrade
Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:55 am
by Fred98
I agree that WIN 8 was awful! But WIN 8.1 is many times better. And it is better than WIN 7.
.
.
RE: Win 10 free upgrade
Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:38 am
by AbwehrX
Im still using Winxp on this desktop (for gaming) and use a 4GB flashdrive with Ubuntu Linux for surfing. All downloads & saves got to my 2TB Toshiba external. I dont get why people actually believe that changing their operating system so frequently qualifies as an actual upgrade considering theres more adware, kidware & spyware with each new edition?
RE: Win 10 free upgrade
Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:52 pm
by aaatoysandmore
ORIGINAL: AbwehrX
Im still using Winxp on this desktop (for gaming) and use a 4GB flashdrive with Ubuntu Linux for surfing. All downloads & saves got to my 2TB Toshiba external. I dont get why people actually believe that changing their operating system so frequently qualifies as an actual upgrade considering theres more adware, kidware & spyware with each new edition?
It's a human nature thing for some that they just gotta have the most recent and what they consider the best or highest quality and soon find out nothing works and go screaming on the forums about their graphics or the slowness or blah blah blah about their problems.
I get a kick out of it. I've always stayed right in the middle of the road on new stuff. Everything I have and use works just fine. I don't need the latest graphic card like those that gotta have the best (so they think) for my games to work and run well and at near top settings. Course I never have been into the graphics age so most games I have don't need the top end card like say for GTA V.
Just as an example my computer is 7 years old now with a PowerColor 5500 hd graphics card with 1gb of ram and 6gb memory installed and I haven't run into a single game that I play that won't work and work well. Using Vista 64 OS.
Some people just gotta spend that money though as it's burning their pockets. [:D]
RE: Win 10 free upgrade
Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:46 pm
by milkweg
If you play wargames and some other strategy type games you don't need a powerful PC but if you play some of the newer 3D games, such as Battlefield4 or The Witcher3 then you need a fairly beefy system. I can play pretty much any game well with i5 3570K, 16GB ram and GTX 780 but wouldn't mind having a GTX 980 instead.
RE: Win 10 free upgrade
Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:13 pm
by aaatoysandmore
Yeah I don't get into that shooter stuff or hack n slash games where a blood splotch splatters your screen. I could probably run them though anyways. I've tried demos of things and they still run well though at not peak settings.
RE: Win 10 free upgrade
Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:01 am
by Zap
Oh, crap1 I'm rethinking accepting Windows 10 free upgrade when I saw this. Free support will only be given for 2 years home users and 4 years for windows pro users . While having windows 8.1 guarantees free support and till 2020. now i'm seriously thinking about rejecting Windows 10, which I have pre-scheduled for my computer.
I think I have to send off a advisory to them or they will automatically update my computer or will they inform me before it happens so I can reject it?
Paying for support with Windows 10 in 2017 with my home version as opposed to free support windows 8.1 till 2020 seems to be a no-brainer to me.
RE: Win 10 free upgrade
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:01 am
by Gilmer
ORIGINAL: rosseau
Just wanted to thank all of you for posting on this. I will soon need to retire my 6-year-old Dell Win7 and take a maxed out Dell i7 8700 with free Win10 upgrade out of the box. I am dreading it of course. But for $802 delivered, I had to make the move.
One thing I will say is the customer support from Dell has gone completely down the tubes. They farmed it out to Somalia or so it seems. So hopefully won't need any tech support [;)]
I could tell you horror stories about Dell Computers from when I was working at my last job. The support for business computers is almost below zero.
RE: Win 10 free upgrade
Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:23 am
by zakblood
well who apart from me then is using it?

RE: Win 10 free upgrade
Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:18 am
by Aurelian
ORIGINAL: zakblood
well who apart from me then is using it?
Still waiting for them to let me know it's ready to be downloaded.
RE: Win 10 free upgrade
Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:48 am
by zakblood
fingers crossed then later[;)]
RE: Win 10 free upgrade
Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:04 pm
by Ranger33
Perfect timing, I just brought my gaming PC out of retirement (been using laptop) and was planning to wipe it clean anyway.
RE: Win 10 free upgrade
Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:41 pm
by Freyr Oakenshield
I will miss my good old Win8.1...

RE: Win 10 free upgrade
Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:09 pm
by Zap
Its loading today?
RE: Win 10 free upgrade
Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:10 pm
by IainMcNeil
We've been testing our games on Win 10 and so far found no issues but if anyone here has tried a game on Win 10 please post to confirm its working. We'd like to test teh entire line up but its a massive task. We think everything is fine but be good to confirm!
RE: Win 10 free upgrade
Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:43 pm
by zakblood
WITE and WITW works.
Order of Battle Pacific works.
Legions of Steel works.
Warhammer 40,000 Armageddon + dlc's works.
Star Hammer The Vanguard Prophecy works.
Brother against Brother The Drawing of the Sword works.
Sovereignty Crown of Kings works.
Vietnam ’65 works.
Frontline Series works.
Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm works.
Hell works.
Civil War II works.
Close Combat Gateway to Caen works.
in fact not had a game yet that didn't, all above have been installed and played / tested working fine, plus any beta i'm on also works...
if you want something testing boss, you know where i am, have the time, and don't mind doing it either[;)] i'm more than up for it...
RE: Win 10 free upgrade
Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:58 pm
by Freyr Oakenshield
It would be nice if Steel Panthers WaW worked too... [:'(]
RE: Win 10 free upgrade
Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:11 pm
by zakblood
well if it works in win xp / vista and win 7, 8, 8.1 then it should work in windows 10, just might need to alter the compatibility settings etc, DOS games work fine with it [:D][;)]
RE: Win 10 free upgrade
Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:17 pm
by Freyr Oakenshield
The problem is it doesn't work well in win 7, 8, and 8.1..., by all accounts.[:(]