Page 2 of 2

RE: Thoughts after first full game

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:44 pm
by morvael
I like these counters best, even after so many years:

Image

RE: Thoughts after first full game

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:06 pm
by kosmoface
ORIGINAL: Webizen

Guess it is good to have a choice of counter types.


Absolutely. I think NATO counters and stylized counters should always be offered.

RE: Thoughts after first full game

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:39 am
by AstroCat
Although I am using the NATO counters I wish the stylized counters would account for the different unit types like the NATO counters do.

RE: Thoughts after first full game

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:49 am
by etsadler
Just goes to show how different people can be. If I see what I would call a "fancy" map my thought is, "Why did they waste their time on that? Spend your time on the important things!"

A recreation of an actual WWII map that the actual generals would have used is my gold standard.

RE: Thoughts after first full game

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:58 am
by etsadler
ORIGINAL: Webizen

Guess it is good to have a choice of counter types. I know that when Advanced Tactics Gold was first released in 2011 that there was a very vocal crowd that decried not having NATO counters in the game.
ORIGINAL: kosmoface
PS: Oh and I am thankful that I don't have to play with NATO counters. The reason I like the DC series since the beginning. I wonder how many people dismiss hardcore wargames, because there is nothing to chose from, besides NATO counters.
I will not by a WWII or later period game that doesn't have NATO (or the WWII German symbols) counters, they are a must. I don't expect to find them in historical games as much, but the essentials of the NATO system go back to WWI and somewhat similar symbols were used in the Napoleonic wars.

RE: Thoughts after first full game

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:18 am
by ChuckBerger
Hey Morvael, are those counters from V4V? Maybe the Velike Luki battle? Or Stalingrad?

Man, takes me back. Use to play Utah Beach, the original, on a black and white 1st gen Mac laptop!

RE: Thoughts after first full game

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:36 am
by lancer
Hi ChuckBerger,

The Soviet activation levels are something that's been tweaked up and down an awful lot during Beta testing.

Where it is at present is probably an overly generous representation of the situation on the day however it's a good balance for the default difficulty level as a Soviet Player new to the game can struggle in this area.

With the next update I'll be adjusting it to a more realistic level for higher difficulty levels but leaving it as is for Normal.

Cheers,
Cameron

RE: Thoughts after first full game

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:14 am
by morvael
ORIGINAL: ChuckBerger

Hey Morvael, are those counters from V4V? Maybe the Velike Luki battle? Or Stalingrad?

Man, takes me back. Use to play Utah Beach, the original, on a black and white 1st gen Mac laptop!

Yeah, V4V Velikiye Luki. Map graphics looks a little outdated, but it's functional. However, I love these counters to this day (as can be seen in my avatar).

My first contact with the series was Market Garden. I think I got it on Children's Day in 1993 or 1994. Already on PC and in color. But I think I had to upgrade my video card from 512kB to 1MB to be able to play [:)]

I spent so much time with the game, I was able to write scenario editor for it (though only 90% things were editable, as some were hardcoded like scenario variants, and some were left undeciphered like advanced weather parameters).