Page 2 of 2
Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:22 am
by dpstafford
Originally posted by Blunderbuss
Most of my strategy gaming up till now has been with real time games.
Oxymoron of the decade: Real Time Strategy
Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:24 am
by Losqualo
Originally posted by Blunderbuss
I must admit to total ignorance of Matrix Games until I stumbled on this website by accident. Most of my strategy gaming up till now has been with real time games. Can somebody please recommend one of Matrix Games products that would make a good introduction to turn-based strategy? I'll keep an eye out for any recommendations, assuming they are on sale in the UK.
The best game would probably be "Steel Panthers WaW". You can find it in the download section of this site, and it's free! Though the original game wasn't by Matrix, they made the game much more exciting and added many new features to the original.
Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:26 am
by Blunderbuss
Thanks for pointing out the download, but I'm only using a 56k modem (439 mb = approx. 29 hours download). It's a shame, but my kit just isn't up to the job.
Re. RTS games. I've enjoyed playing them since I got Command and Conquer for the Playstation in 1997. I've found that a fast, easy to use control interface is the main ingredient in a good RTS. My personal favourite is Red Alert 2.
Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:47 am
by Fallschirmjager
Originally posted by Blunderbuss
Thanks for pointing out the download, but I'm only using a 56k modem (439 mb = approx. 29 hours download). It's a shame, but my kit just isn't up to the job.
Re. RTS games. I've enjoyed playing them since I got Command and Conquer for the Playstation in 1997. I've found that a fast, easy to use control interface is the main ingredient in a good RTS. My personal favourite is Red Alert 2.
Go to the SpWaW forum and ask if someone will mail you a cd with the game on it
We have lots of UK players and they would be glad to mail it to you
Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:50 am
by The MSG
Originally posted by U2
Does this mean I can now kick your behind in UV?:D
As soon as I got the package, wich would be friday hopefully.
Maybe I should learn the interface some first as well...
However, challenge noted and documented, and accepted!

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:52 am
by The MSG
Originally posted by Blunderbuss
I must admit to total ignorance of Matrix Games until I stumbled on this website by accident. Most of my strategy gaming up till now has been with real time games. Can somebody please recommend one of Matrix Games products that would make a good introduction to turn-based strategy? I'll keep an eye out for any recommendations, assuming they are on sale in the UK.
The last TBS I played properly was probably Laser Squad on the Amiga 500 about twelve years ago.
Do you have SPWAW wich is freely distributed on this site?
Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:53 am
by The MSG
Originally posted by dpstafford
Oxymoron of the decade: Real Time Strategy
Well, Harpoon is rather good.. :p

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:22 pm
by Paul Wykes
Blunderbuss-
I live in the UK, I`d be happy to send you a copy of SPWAW. I originally downloaded the game on a 56k modem, It can be done but its definately not for the faint hearted
Let me know if you are interested in a copy.
Of course, you could wait for the new mega campaign. As I`m sure once you`ve tried it, you will definately want more. The MC offer so much more.
Paul
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:34 am
by Blunderbuss
Thanks for the offer of a CD, but there's no need to go to any trouble. I'll wait and see if I can find this new Mega Campaign package, or any of the other games. I HAVE seen an Airborne Assault game on sale in GAME. Is that an earlier game in the series or completely unrelated? I can't remember it's full title.
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:46 am
by Blunderbuss
Checked at gamefaqs, it's called Airborne Assault: Red Devils Over Arnhem, by Panther Games. Good review/rating. It's on sale nationwide, then.
Close Assault sounds like it's going to be interesting as well.
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:48 pm
by Paul Wykes
Blunderbuss-have you checked out the Airbourne assault: Highway the the Reich forum. This, I believe, will be an improved/enchanced version of AA:red devils over arnhem.
It is also developed by panther games.
May be worth waiting for this, its hopefully out in august.
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:31 pm
by Blunderbuss
Yes, I've had a look at it. If 'Red Devils' gets discounted I'll give it a go. If it turns out to be enjoyable I can get the follow-up game.