RE: Being Buffaloed
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:04 pm
double post, sorry!!!!
ORIGINAL: dr.hal
I think you need to consider the situation from a more global perspective. Britain was still fighting for its life against the U-boats and surface raiders, and only had reinforcement from Commonwealth countries and European states taken by the Nazis (e.g. Poland). Aviation fuel would have been precious, as would all modern aircraft. Consequently, India was left with little in the way of war training goods - especially AVGAS. And because you are correct that the Japanese were underestimated by the Allies, no one felt urgency to improve the situation in the Far East.ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
A more dynamic commander might have hectored for more stuff, but I am not sure Churchill could have obliged. The Mediterranean and North Africa must have seemed much more urgent and important.
ORIGINAL: dr.hal
ORIGINAL: dr.hal
I think you need to consider the situation from a more global perspective. Britain was still fighting for its life against the U-boats and surface raiders, and only had reinforcement from Commonwealth countries and European states taken by the Nazis (e.g. Poland). Aviation fuel would have been precious, as would all modern aircraft. Consequently, India was left with little in the way of war training goods - especially AVGAS. And because you are correct that the Japanese were underestimated by the Allies, no one felt urgency to improve the situation in the Far East.ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
A more dynamic commander might have hectored for more stuff, but I am not sure Churchill could have obliged. The Mediterranean and North Africa must have seemed much more urgent and important.
Yes BBfanboy, that's what the clip in my OP argues and I agree with it (thus the desire to start this thread). The Far East was certainly considered a low priority as the home island was struggling for its very survival. And this distribution of priorities was exacerbated by the mistaken perception that the Japanese could be easily defeated by second tier equipment and in many cases relatively green troops.
Finnish pilots achieved considerable success, but flew the Brewster 239 before it gained weight and was redesignated the Brewster 339 as flown in Malaya.ORIGINAL: dr.hal
One of the things I have lamented when playing the Allies, was the fact that none of the Allied powers seemed to have an effective fighter aircraft on the outbreak of the Pacific War. Take the Brewster Buffalo for example. Often it's pegged as one of the worst aircraft of the war. HOWEVER I ran across this YouTube clip that I found very informative. I thought many of you might find it of interest as well. Would it have made a difference in the opening days of the war if the US/UK and other Allied powers had frontline aircraft deployed on 7 December 1941 in the Pacific theater? I look forward to your thoughts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOLIVGvv6yY
Would it have made a difference in the opening days of the war if the US/UK and other Allied powers had frontline aircraft deployed on 7 December 1941 in the Pacific theater? I look forward to your thoughts.
ORIGINAL: JeffroK
Would it have made a difference in the opening days of the war if the US/UK and other Allied powers had frontline aircraft deployed on 7 December 1941 in the Pacific theater? I look forward to your thoughts.
The bigger question, what frontline aircraft did the Allies have available.
The British could offer either the Spitfire V or Hurricane II. But in addition to Home Defence/Offence into France the RAF had to defend Malta, The Western Desert and provide aid to the USSR. US imports of the P40 Tomahawk were available for the Western Desert, Kittyhawk variants only available in early 1942. The RAF had received 100+ Airacobra I deemed unsuitable for NW Europe, these would be equivalent to the P-400.
The USAAF didnt even have the ability to supply anything better than the P40C & P40E which were stationed in The Philippines and Hawaiian Islands. F4F-3's were the best available as a Carrier fighter.
It could be that a better fight was possible if better trained pilots were available, better support facilities, RADAR, AA support,etc etc etc was available. If the RAF had 100 Spitfire V half of them would still be destroyed on the ground.
The Allies had to survive 1942, 1943 would see the arrival of Corsairs, Thunderbolts, Lightnings, Mustangs, Spitfires, Kittyhawks & Warhawks in ever increasing numbers, plus the infrastructure to use them efficiently.
This was a great watch, dr. hal. It reminded me of a quote from an RAF pilot in Bloody Shambles. Something like, "The Buffalo could not turn with a zero or out climb it, but it could out dive it. The Hurricane could do none of these."ORIGINAL: dr.hal
One of the things I have lamented when playing the Allies, was the fact that none of the Allied powers seemed to have an effective fighter aircraft on the outbreak of the Pacific War. Take the Brewster Buffalo for example. Often it's pegged as one of the worst aircraft of the war. HOWEVER I ran across this YouTube clip that I found very informative. I thought many of you might find it of interest as well. Would it have made a difference in the opening days of the war if the US/UK and other Allied powers had frontline aircraft deployed on 7 December 1941 in the Pacific theater? I look forward to your thoughts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOLIVGvv6yY