Page 2 of 2
RE: WP2 Update
Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:37 pm
by AlvaroSousa
This is absolutely added
Need sea control of dynamic area to invade/disembark
Interception along the way
Auto-retreat for transport fleets.
One of the issues with WP1 was that I couldn't figure out how to create such a system without the end of turns taking forever.
With WP2 I found an easy way to do it because I am a much better coder now.
RE: WP2 Update
Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:43 pm
by boldairade
One thing that was undeniably a factor in the corps level in wwII was logistical/supply length.
We see it particularly in the desert and then more so on the eastern front.
Offensives simply wore themselves out and outran their fuel/ammo/replacements/repair.
Warplan gets the ‘feel’ of things so right.
But I’m not sure this is modeled quite right.
I know effectiveness wears down. And that IS one of my favorite things in any wargame. No other game simulates it half as well IMO.
But it’s not exactly the same thing.
Note: I’m attempting to make an observation. This is not a criticism.
RE: WP2 Update
Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:31 pm
by MagicMissile
Really looking forward to it. If help is needed I hope I can assist somehow.
Big thing to look at I feel is the economy and production. Going to be really hard to get that right for sure. Also still hoping for some weather changes to make eastern front winter fighting a thing.
/MM
RE: WP2 Update
Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:09 am
by AlvaroSousa
Balancing takes time. I think production is about right. It is hard to model the Russian front when the players have hindsight.
RE: WP2 Update
Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:59 am
by CHINCHIN
It would be good to keep in mind that there may be clear weather, but snowy or muddy terrain, or intense cold. In Russia especially, since its dirt roads suffer from rain or thaw like nowhere else
RE: WP2 Update
Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:40 am
by stjeand
I think cold weather needs to have more of an effect.
In reading a lot of Russian WW2 docs it would seem that rain then cold was HORRIBLE for equipment as is sank in the mud due to rain and then it got so cold so quickly that they had to wait until spring to get it out.
I think cold should have a movement effect at least on armor/mech/truck as well as an effect on combat. Especially for the Germans. AT the moment it is basically a clear turn in the middle of the winter for the Axis. Yet it was below zero and they did not have adequate equipment for that.
Would be nice to be able to know if the turn before was rain to have this have correct effect. Cold after 3 turns of snow is expected...cold after 2 turns of rain is a huge issue.
The change does not have to be major...but cold should be close to snow movement wise but less so for combat.
Re: RE: WP2 Update
Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:01 pm
by scout1
stjeand wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:40 am
I think cold weather needs to have more of an effect.
In reading a lot of Russian WW2 docs it would seem that rain then cold was HORRIBLE for equipment as is sank in the mud due to rain and then it got so cold so quickly that they had to wait until spring to get it out.
I think cold should have a movement effect at least on armor/mech/truck as well as an effect on combat. Especially for the Germans. AT the moment it is basically a clear turn in the middle of the winter for the Axis. Yet it was below zero and they did not have adequate equipment for that.
Would be nice to be able to know if the turn before was rain to have this have correct effect. Cold after 3 turns of snow is expected...cold after 2 turns of rain is a huge issue.
The change does not have to be major...but cold should be close to snow movement wise but less so for combat.
Though I understand the intent if this, guessing a "look back" weather wise for impact to current turn might quickly become a coding quagmire. Perhaps a two tiered weather pattern approach, one that deals with temperature (summer like, fall/spring like, cold, damn cold, Russian cold) and another that deals with precipitation, clear, cloudy for ex. Different regions could be set up to favor one end of the scale or another .... Temperature patterns would be slower to change than weather ..... The combination of the the two tiered approach then factors into its influence on movement, combat, etc .... and could be different for different regions say North Africa vs the northern portion northern portion of the eastern front ....
Re: WP2 Update
Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:03 pm
by generalfdog
Snow does still have a negative effect on Germany they lose effectiveness and the Russians don't. wait a few turns for winter to wear the Germans down then attack, gain Russian experience and keep reducing German effectiveness by February especially with the new Siberian rule Russia should be able to push back in one or 2 key areas, quit attacking around april and rebuild your forces by the time Germany is ready for a spring offensive the Russian front is stable and now instead of 30% experience units they are 40-50+ Germany will push in 42 but if you do that and keep from having big encirclements you should survive and be pushing back in 43
Re: WP2 Update
Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:57 pm
by stjeand
My issue was not really the point of saying you have to code to have rain then cold and make that an issue...
Quite simply...COLD was an issue.
Frostbite was brutal.
Equipment froze completely.
All I am saying is cold should not be a clear turn for the Axis.
Re: WP2 Update
Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:06 pm
by AlvaroSousa
stjeand wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:57 pm
My issue was not really the point of saying you have to code to have rain then cold and make that an issue...
Quite simply...COLD was an issue.
Frostbite was brutal.
Equipment froze completely.
All I am saying is cold should not be a clear turn for the Axis.
I am thinking about this. I might remove the clear weather turn from these months all together.
From a balancing point of view having clear weather turns in the winter drastically offsets the effectiveness penalty of the Axis. Thus increasing variance in the game.
If you have zero clear turns that's means zero variance.
If you have 1 clear turn perhaps not much effect
If you have 2 clear turns it could mean the game for the Russians.
If you have 3 clear turns it should be the death of Russia.
The only variable will be blizzard turns.
I'll have to test some Barbarossa A.I. vs A.I. to see what the impact is of no clear weather turns during the winter months.
Re: WP2 Update
Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:14 pm
by stjeand
I like the variance but as you said to many is a problem.
That was why I thought cold should have an effect...perhaps.
10% less for combat
5% loss in effectiveness.
25% less movement
Something not as bad as rain / snow...but allows them to advance some at a higher cost.
OR just reduce the chance of it happening to 5% or less...
Re: WP2 Update
Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:23 pm
by sveint
Just a minor idea for WP2, why not have 3 levels of winter?
Blizzard
Snow
"Light snow" or something, where air can fly but ground troops are still affected
Re: WP2 Update
Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:15 pm
by toddtreadway
I’d be fine if you actually went to a higher scale for everything!
How about more than two players? At one point, you said that was a WP2 thing.
Re: WP2 Update
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:24 pm
by toddtreadway
To include the ability to have separate players for each of the Allies and Axis. I’d like to be able to play just Italy or just Germany, etc.
Re: WP2 Update
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:58 pm
by AlvaroSousa
That is not possible in WP1 engine. WP2 it will be as well as being able to use Allied units on your turn.
Re: WP2 Update
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:47 pm
by stjeand
Can there be a view only mode for PBEM?
Not sure it is possible but would be really cool to allow either player to look at the games last save.
Would be nicer it you could have other players see the saved games though not sure how you could do that.
Re: WP2 Update
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:40 pm
by AlvaroSousa
The last turn can be sent back but if your opponent does his last turn then resigns the game.... I can't do anything about that.
Re: WP2 Update
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:58 pm
by toddtreadway
That’s great news! I had a few questions jumbled in there, so will we be able to have multiplayer with more than two players?
It seems like they have expanded the PBEM+ service and now you can have more than two player games, such as FOG Empires.
Re: WP2 Update
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:13 pm
by Nirosi
toddtreadway wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:58 pm
That’s great news! I had a few questions jumbled in there, so will we be able to have multiplayer with more than two players?
It seems like they have expanded the PBEM+ service and now you can have more than two player games, such as FOG Empires.
That could be very fun to have two allied players (Soviet vs Western Allies) in some kind of race to Berlin...
Re: WP2 Update
Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:18 pm
by AlvaroSousa
If the Multiplayer feature supports it. I was told it would in the new PBEM3.
So WP2 and hopefully my fantasy wargame will have that feature.