Page 2 of 5

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:57 pm
by CharonJr
homes.highspeed3.de/CharonJr/GER_Sp40.zip
all of 3 tries with the zip-link above did work for me

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:19 am
by mavraamides
OK, it downloaded fine, 209 k but when I try to unzip it with winzip I get:
Extracting to "C:\Matrix Games\Gary Grigsby's World At War\dat\save\GER_Sp40\"
Use Path: yes Overlay Files: no
skipping: GER_Sp40.psv unsupported compression method 9
error: no files were found - nothing to do

So it can see the file name but can't extract it. What did you use to zip it? Maybe I can dowload
a tool.

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:25 am
by CharonJr
Hmm, just rightclicked on it and added it to archive, it was surely not WinZip, but I would guess some generic program with WindowsXP since I can not recall installing any special zip-program here.

I zip'd it again under "normal" compression, might work now.

In addition I tried to put it up as a normal .psv file again, will paste a link for this one again, too, maybe it will work now.

CharonJr

http://homes.highspeed3.de/CharonJr/GER_Sp40.psv - nope, even though I have no clue why, now it keeps showing up as 12.7MB. So the zip is my only hope.

Sadly I have to get up in 5 hours to head for work here, I hope it works now since I have to get some sleep here. But I will take a look again before heading out for work.

If it didn't work I will try to grab a freeware zip program and write where I got it, this should ensure you being able to unpack it. Or do you use any freeware zipper and got a link where I can download it ?

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:28 am
by mavraamides
Great news! It worked!

I'll play my turn and have it on its way shortly...

OK, just passed it on to Forwarn45@aol.com!

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:50 am
by Forwarn45
Hopefully we are off and running! I have finished my turns and emailed the game to the WA.

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:04 pm
by Barthheart
My turn has been forwarded. Made my first mistake already![:@] See if you can find.[;)]

Where is everybody from? I'm in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:16 pm
by mavraamides
ORIGINAL: Barthheart

My turn has been forwarded. Made my first mistake already![:@] See if you can find.[;)]

Where is everybody from? I'm in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

I made at least one dumb mistake too. Fortunately, I don't think anyone can see
it because of FOW!

I'm close! I'm from Minnesota which a lot of Americans consider southern Canada.

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:28 pm
by CharonJr
Hehe, I join the "mistake" crew, but to call it a mistake would be too much I think, I is more like a suboptimal strategy [;)]

And you can be sure that I WILL be looking for that mistake [:D]

I am from Berlin, Germany but living in Frankfurt here btw.

Will leave the office in about 1h ;)

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:55 pm
by CharonJr
Turn is up at

http://homes.highspeed3.de/CharonJr/GER_Su40.zip

Barthheart, does the mistake has something to do with transports ? [:D]

CharonJr

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:05 pm
by Barthheart
Only partially! [:D]

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:09 pm
by CharonJr
As you will see maybe more than you thought, but I have to admit that I was a bit surprised myself [X(]

Never had that one before (which is not THAT hard after all of 5 games) [;)]

CharonJr

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:24 pm
by mavraamides
OK, just sent my turn. Looks like we have all the PBEM send
issues resolved. This looks like an interesting game. I see the Spanish
Gambit is in play!

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:34 pm
by CharonJr
Is there really any other option for Germany unless you want to leave the Med to the Allies ? [;)]

CharonJr

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:29 pm
by Forwarn45
Finished my turns. It was a nice lunch break for me. Sacramento, California here.

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:07 pm
by Barthheart
Turn sent. Better this time.... I think... [:'(]

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:08 pm
by CharonJr
Sounds bad ;)

CharonJr

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:09 pm
by mavraamides
I have seen a seaborne invasion of Gibralter work. That allows sealing off the Med without taking out Spain.
But it only worked because I had stripped Gibralter to defend Scotland. Not sure how easy that would
be with a well defended Gibralter.

But I would agree that the current consensus seems to be that the Spanish Gambit is a valid move.

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:16 pm
by CharonJr

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:18 pm
by CharonJr
Hmm, with 4 transports this would be just 1 tank or 1 arty and 1 infantry, sounds like bad odds to me in a fortress on rough terrain even after some softening up by air.

CharonJr

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:34 pm
by mavraamides
On its way...