Page 2 of 2
RE: Wild Bill the Legend, when's the next shipment of goods due in?
Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:27 pm
by SAMWolf
ORIGINAL: Wild Bill
Thanks, Gentlemen, for asking. I am giving some thought to something in North Africa. There has not bee a lot of late on the matter. Kasserine would make a good series or even a campaign. I need to do more research on the subject.
If any of you have any good web sites on this theme, would you post them here. I'm not good at finding things on the internet.
A campaign from the German side with Herr Rommel in the lead might produce an interesting little campaign on the this last offensive thrust of the Germans in Tunisia.
Thoughts? ... And web sites?
WB
Here's a good article on the Battle of Sidi Bou Zid.
Ambushed by the Afrika Korps:
Battle at Sidi Bou Zid
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-vet ... 0819/posts
RE: Wild Bill the Legend, when's the next shipment of goods due in?
Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:14 am
by Wild Bill
Thanks Sam. That is a good one.
The Stug 42 was a tough anti-infantry weapon and probably did have as much appearance as I have given it in some of these battles. Alby. I do use it as a strong piece of armor against infantry attacks.
I'm delighted you are working your way through the long, long campaign. It seems to be a favorite of many. Thank you!
WB
RE: Wild Bill the Legend, when's the next shipment of goods due in?
Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:01 am
by PimpYourAFV
Wild Dude, I'm looking forward to your Rommel campaign. Should be good fun.
As for the 88 Panzergranite, they are nasty in the Long Long Road to Death. I lost 2 tanks in the last turn of the Bocage fight to those pests the first time I did that campaign. And the payback satisfaction from killing them is marginal given their minor value versus a tank. Now I'm doing the campaign for the 2nd time as the British and will of course keep some troops around my tanks to keep the pests away. Wild Bill will punish you for not constantly using combined arms, although I did fight on fairly effectively with only infantry after losing my platoon of tanks in several missions.
RE: Wild Bill the Legend, when's the next shipment of goods due in?
Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:38 pm
by Alby
Actually I think the weapon slot used by Bill used to be the PZfst 100
but it has been moved around so much since Long Long road came out.
I think the 88mm PZ Granate just ended up there in some version.
RE: Wild Bill the Legend, when's the next shipment of goods due in?
Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 2:47 am
by Conqueror
Hey Colonel. 2 excellant books
Kasserine Pass by Martin Blumenson
The Bloody Road to Tunis By David Rolf
There you go, a geat reason to hit your faforite bookstore.[:D][:D]
RE: Wild Bill the Legend, when's the next shipment of goods due in?
Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:59 am
by Randy
Wild Bill, how about a "what if" scenario of the Germans trying to capture the UK base at Gibralter to shut off the Med? That might have been a tough nut for the Germans to crack!
RE: Wild Bill the Legend, when's the next shipment of goods due in?
Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:17 am
by forgorin
That would be nice. With some Spanish "help"!
RE: Wild Bill the Legend, when's the next shipment of goods due in?
Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:18 am
by Randy
Now that I think about it, would Franco allow German troops to have access to Spanish territory? Would Franco send Spanish troops to help Hitler in Russia? This could be an interesting campaign.
RE: Wild Bill the Legend, when's the next shipment of goods due in?
Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:53 am
by forgorin
I enjoy doing things a little odd as in playing the Spanish in the German campaign. I just pretend that they got bored and wondered over to lend a hand. Also the canadian or indians to help the british teach the Japanese a lesson in maners!
RE: Wild Bill the Legend, when's the next shipment of goods due in?
Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:13 pm
by PimpYourAFV
The Spanish are weak cause they didn't do any fighting after the civil war. They should have helped the Germans so they would have ended the war with a decent army to show for it.
RE: Wild Bill the Legend, when's the next shipment of goods due in?
Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:58 pm
by Alby
actually there are some decent units in the Nationalist Spain OOB.
RE: Wild Bill the Legend, when's the next shipment of goods due in?
Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:14 pm
by Korpraali V
ORIGINAL: Randy
Now that I think about it, would Franco allow German troops to have access to Spanish territory? Would Franco send Spanish troops to help Hitler in Russia? This could be an interesting campaign.
Hi Randy!
Check for example
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Division
RE: Wild Bill the Legend, when's the next shipment of goods due in?
Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:22 pm
by junk2drive
Steven Thomas' website
http://www.balagan.org.uk/war/iberia/1939/index.htm
He is a minis gamer but has a wealth of info for computer gamers in SCW, AIW, and others.
RE: Wild Bill the Legend, when's the next shipment of goods due in?
Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:08 am
by Randy
Some very interesting sites about a little known unit. Thanks for that info. I think this would make a good study for a mini-campaign or "what if" sceario. Thanks guys.
RE: Wild Bill the Legend, when's the next shipment of goods due in?
Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:51 pm
by forgorin
Interesting Korpraali.