RE: Heroes and Leaders mod
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:57 pm
The PzKpfw II was an interim design ordered due to the delays in production of the PzKpfw III and IV. Designs for a stopgap tank were solicited from Krupp, MAN, Henschel, and Daimler-Benz. Although the vehicle had originally been designed as a stopgap while larger, more advanced tanks were developed, it nonetheless went on to play an important role in the early years of World War II, during the Polish and French campaigns. The Panzer II was the most numerous tank in the German Panzer divisions beginning with the invasion of France. It was used in both North Africa against the Western Allies and on the Eastern Front against the Soviet Union. It was used as a main battle tank in Poland, where 90% of the German tanks used were PzKpfw I and II. Some 1,200 Ausf A were built. 524 PzKpfw IIF were built. The new versions were up armored after the Polish campaign and are equivalent to the Ausf F.
Because of its relatively weak armament, from 1940 the PzKpfw II was used primarily for reconnaissance, with one platoon officially allotted for this purpose to each Pz. company (deleted in 1942), Pz. battalion, and Pz. regiment (the latter two being deleted in late 1943). The Panzer II was supplanted by the Panzer III and IV medium tanks by 1940/1941. By the end of 1942, it had been largely removed from front line service and it was used for training and on secondary fronts. Five PzKpfw II comprised a full-strength platoon.
Starting with the D model, the front armor was increased to 30 mm. The Model F had 35 mm front armor and 20 mm side armor. Most tank versions of the Panzer II were armed with a 2 cm KwK 30 L/55 auto-cannon. Some later versions used the similar 2 cm KwK 38 L/55. This auto-cannon was based on the 2 cm FlaK 30 anti-aircraft gun, and was capable of firing at a rate of 600 rounds per minute (280 rounds per minute sustained) from 10-round magazines. A total of 180 shells were carried. The Panzer II also had a 7.92 mm Maschinengewehr 34 machine gun mounted coaxially with the main gun. All production versions of the Panzer II were fitted with a 138 HP, gasoline-fuelled six-cylinder Maybach HL 62 TRM engine and ZF transmissions. Models A, B, and C had a top speed of 40 km/h. Models D and E had a torsion bar suspension and a better transmission, giving a top road speed of 55 km/h but the cross country speed was much lower than previous models, so the Model F reverted to the previous leaf spring type suspension. All versions had a range of 200 km. The Panzer II had a crew of three men. The driver sat in the forward left hull with the gearbox on the right. The commander sat in a seat in the turret, and was responsible for aiming and firing the cannon and co-axial machine gun, while a loader/radio operator sat on the floor of the tank behind the driver. He had a radio on the left and several 20mm ammunition storage bins. From March 1941 to December 1942, 524 were built; this was the final major tank version of the Panzer II series.

Because of its relatively weak armament, from 1940 the PzKpfw II was used primarily for reconnaissance, with one platoon officially allotted for this purpose to each Pz. company (deleted in 1942), Pz. battalion, and Pz. regiment (the latter two being deleted in late 1943). The Panzer II was supplanted by the Panzer III and IV medium tanks by 1940/1941. By the end of 1942, it had been largely removed from front line service and it was used for training and on secondary fronts. Five PzKpfw II comprised a full-strength platoon.
Starting with the D model, the front armor was increased to 30 mm. The Model F had 35 mm front armor and 20 mm side armor. Most tank versions of the Panzer II were armed with a 2 cm KwK 30 L/55 auto-cannon. Some later versions used the similar 2 cm KwK 38 L/55. This auto-cannon was based on the 2 cm FlaK 30 anti-aircraft gun, and was capable of firing at a rate of 600 rounds per minute (280 rounds per minute sustained) from 10-round magazines. A total of 180 shells were carried. The Panzer II also had a 7.92 mm Maschinengewehr 34 machine gun mounted coaxially with the main gun. All production versions of the Panzer II were fitted with a 138 HP, gasoline-fuelled six-cylinder Maybach HL 62 TRM engine and ZF transmissions. Models A, B, and C had a top speed of 40 km/h. Models D and E had a torsion bar suspension and a better transmission, giving a top road speed of 55 km/h but the cross country speed was much lower than previous models, so the Model F reverted to the previous leaf spring type suspension. All versions had a range of 200 km. The Panzer II had a crew of three men. The driver sat in the forward left hull with the gearbox on the right. The commander sat in a seat in the turret, and was responsible for aiming and firing the cannon and co-axial machine gun, while a loader/radio operator sat on the floor of the tank behind the driver. He had a radio on the left and several 20mm ammunition storage bins. From March 1941 to December 1942, 524 were built; this was the final major tank version of the Panzer II series.



















