Page 15 of 50

RE: Sicily to Brenner Pass Revised

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:52 pm
by larryfulkerson
Here's the T2 positions. The Germans reacted to my landing on their beach finally and they are coming out of the woodwork like bugs.
They are all over the place. I'm going to need some more troops.

Image

RE: Sicily to Brenner Pass Revised

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:03 pm
by larryfulkerson
And what's worse is that many of the aircraft are out on strike. Or down for maint. or the pilots came to work drunk or whatever the
reason lots of my planes are in reorg. Just at a time when I needed them too.

Image

RE: Sicily to Brenner Pass Revised

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:09 pm
by larryfulkerson
I was moving some armored engineers just now and it got interdicted. So I opened the air war display to see how many planes are
shot down so far. Here's what the story is:

Image

RE: Sicily to Brenner Pass Revised

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:15 pm
by larryfulkerson
I had this brilliant idea to move the shorter-range ( range 65 ) planes to Sicily and the Germans moved some arty up to a sacrificial
position really, to pound my planes. I've got to get rid of him pronto before I don't have any planes left at the field.

Image

RE: Sicily to Brenner Pass Revised

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:06 pm
by larryfulkerson
I thought I could enlarge the zoom out a little bit so we could see the entire battlefield clearly but clearly isn't what it is. I'll have to do a
separate post for each side I guess. Anyway this is the positions after I've moved everybody.

Image

RE: Sicily to Brenner Pass Revised

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:12 pm
by larryfulkerson
Here's a zoom in of the above picture. I've backed up the front lines w/ what arty I had available and the HQ's are moved into range
and the planes are set on CS and AS and a couple of INT and I think I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Image

RE: Sicily to Brenner Pass Revised

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:10 pm
by larryfulkerson
Here's the T3 front lines. All three squadrons at the nearest airfield to the German arty unit evaporated during German T2 D'oh. Live
and learn. I lost about 60 planes. That's gonna leave a mark.

Image

RE: Sicily to Brenner Pass Revised

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:29 pm
by larryfulkerson
Here's a situation going on on the far West side. The needs of the service have the cooks, dishwashers, ditch diggers, etc. out to hold
a rifle on the front lines. Nobody else is handy right now.

Image

RE: Sicily to Brenner Pass Revised

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:58 pm
by larryfulkerson
OK. I've moved some more units and the picture has changed. This is my moves on the far East side. I'm pressing north and wrapping
around the Axis units that constitute the resistance down south. The idea was to move north along the coast road and have some
other formation move north ( on the left flank of the first formation ) to cover each other and support each other. That plan is falling
apart. But rapid speed may be important in this thrust. I'd like to get to Messina ASAP to cut off the flow of Germans to Italy. Messina
is the only port on the entire island.

Image

RE: Sicily to Brenner Pass Revised

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:41 am
by larryfulkerson
It's T4 and the T5 expected reinforcements are on the other side of the island. Is that a bug?

Image

RE: Sicily to Brenner Pass Revised

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:24 am
by larryfulkerson
Here's my T4 moves. I'm trying to outflank all the Germans or at least cut them off from some of their supply if possible. I'm rapidly
spreading myself too thin on the ground. Don't try this at home.

Image

RE: Sicily to Brenner Pass Revised

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:39 am
by larryfulkerson
Here's T5's front lines. I'm just getting into more and more trouble. It's just getting worse and worse. I can't wait to see what
happens next turn.

Image

RE: Sicily to Brenner Pass Revised

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:30 pm
by sPzAbt653
It's T4 and the T5 expected reinforcements are on the other side of the island. Is that a bug?


The US 9th Inf Div landed at Palermo in August to reinforce the US 2nd Arm Div. You really can't reach there by turn 5, but you can get there earlier than August.

RE: Sicily to Brenner Pass Revised

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:22 pm
by JeffroK
Have you made sure you have synchronised the game speed (time scale) withe the map scale.

Otherwise you end with time flying by with half week turns but the game going at the same pace as the daily turns.

RE: Sicily to Brenner Pass Revised

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:35 pm
by larryfulkerson
ORIGINAL: JeffK
Have you made sure you have synchronised the game speed (time scale) withe the map scale.

Otherwise you end with time flying by with half week turns but the game going at the same pace as the daily turns.
I would be glad to know the answer to that myself. I suppose that's part of the playtest, to see if it's syncronized.
I'm not sure how one can tell whether or not it is in such a state. I'm supposing that you could see what events
happened in history and whether or not something similar happens in the game. Other than that it would be
hard to tell.

RE: Sicily to Brenner Pass Revised

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:39 pm
by larryfulkerson
Here's the T6 front lines. I've even got a recon element headed to Palermo to activate the expected reinforcements. He may not get
there though. We'll see.



Image

RE: Sicily to Brenner Pass Revised

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:33 pm
by larryfulkerson
Here's a close up of the West side in T7. I've succeeded in driving recon elements around the rear of the German positions and so I
have reason to believe that I've cut off the German units from their supply. That will make it easier to defeat them.


Image

RE: Sicily to Brenner Pass Revised

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:37 pm
by larryfulkerson
Here's a closeup of the east side in T7; I'm pressing north and I've got recon units out driving around converting hexes and clearing
the roads.

Image

RE: Sicily to Brenner Pass Revised

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:06 pm
by larryfulkerson
West side in T8: I'm mopping up in the middle and pressing west on the West side. I'm running out of Germans to kill.

Image

RE: Sicily to Brenner Pass Revised

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:19 pm
by larryfulkerson
Here's the East side in T8: I'm sneaking up on Messina. And notice that finally the left flank guard formations are moving north.

Image