Page 19 of 56

RE: a side show

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:41 am
by wobbly
Herb mate - I just don't feel the love anymore. There used to be trust, fellowship, even a comrade-like sort of respect. Now I feel you are thinking that I want you to take up these "kind thoughts" so I could exploit them in our game. It's sad - very sad.

Plans are definately on the up - be afraid - be very afraid.

Poor Hanamoto will have more than his fair share of action in the very near future. He will remember back to the halcion days when he sat on the Kaga's flight deck - instead of in a life raft - and wished they were still with him.

Evil Wobbly

RE: a side show

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:12 pm
by 1275psi
I tried to LRCAP pagan today -a inconclusive action followed.
9 seperate sub actions today all over the map - his subs return with a bang
Today cost 2 AKs, an AO, and a Tanker!!!

Im throwing snowballs at him.
For this game the sub routines seem to be working very well.

No real news anywhere- the zuiho repairs rapidly - the workers ignore Kaga and yammato and concentrate on the easy job[8|][8|][:@]

Squadrons are upgrading to the zero am3a at various places
Tomorrow or the next day production of the oscar2 finally starts -I wonder how many nate units progress straight from oscar2 to tonies -something useful - any way of finding out which ones do, so i can upgrade them 1st?

RE: a side show

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:18 pm
by 1275psi
30/11/42
3 seperate sub attacks today -one AK lost
Medium level bombing south of Akyab , and lautern is hit heavily today as well

Finally big news in the pacific

Finally

Area1
Now have 4 seperate fighter units in Burma again, but do not place much faith in them -too low in experience
BB Kirishima and Hiei are in the malacca straight - waiting for trouble

Area2
The DEI remain quiet
Lautern is a problem, but if I move fighters into there they might be hammered and trapped.
Enemy AKs at tenibar - supply run ?
I put some betties at babo island onto naval attack - only a little hopeful.
KB is at menando -fuelling.
So are the 3 counter divisions

Area3
3 enemy MSWs are sweeping mines in the hex south of Gilli, Gilli
HOW did they get there undetected!!!

I cannot believe this is anything else other than a trap or a suicidal probe
So a very controlled response
Around Woodlark I have 3 ASW groups , and a small minelayer group
I convert 1 into a surface action group -will try to intercept.
1 oscar squadron will provide LRCAP from woodlark -and 1 sq Sonias will go to naval attack
All other air units will remain possum -lets see what is up.

Area4
Gilberts are all but deserted, Siapan is solid, panope is building nicely

Area5
Convoys
Kaga and yammato repair is a joke - 5 days now and no repair - size 9 port- 5 AR ships, 50000 supplies
Ship repair needs a real look at it
Surely we can have what happens in real life - 30 system damage -survey -repairs will be completed in 70 days. plan for that, instead of the guessing game we have at the moment[8|][8|][8|]

China
Im feeling very depressed about china - no house rules next time!!!

Anyway , we await the tabpub assualt, I hope I play better in defence than I did in attack!

RE: a side show

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:32 am
by 1275psi
1/12/42

well, i saved 3500 political points today -thought i would buy the 54th division from home command - its been swallowed by the vanishing unit bug [:@][:@][:@][:@]

At least i did not buy it 1st

kaga actually repaired a point today[:'(]
another relatively quiet day, his MSWs boldly sail up the coast towards PM, and I lie doggo - Im not giving anything away.

In China - its a disaster -a huge chinese offensive against changsa and ichang is underway - I hope i can hold .

My strength is melting away through supply shortages.
A special Glenn recon of noumea takes place - and

TAAA, DAAAA!!!!! - lots of British CV a/c.
I still think its South west pacific thrust for sure..

RE: a side show

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:39 am
by 1275psi
2/12/42
read tabpub for the latest on China -i do not have a clue, except Im under a lot of pressure -just reacting to his moves.

Area1
Ordering some LRCAP over the hex south of mandalaby tomorrow
Enemy ships akyab -a convoy coming in
I still do not think he has cottoned onto the fact that the road is blocked by one of my units still.

Area2
Lautern is hammered again - so the CVE TF is ordered to wander over and LRCAP the place as a trap.

Area3
Im going for a big troop rotation, mainly AV regiments, nice and fresh if possible before the offensive

Area4
All quiet

area5
rotating troops all over the map
he naval bombarded the kuriles today -3 BBs involved
NO PANIC!!!!!
I can afford to lose Attu, he can have it.

RE: a side show

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:41 am
by 1275psi
3/12/42

about 6 sub attacks today, lost 2 AKs

the LRCAP in burma was inconclusive - no losses each side
we sink a sub in the coral sea, and little else happens

China -the enemy offensive looks huge - a massive thrust in the centre.
I brace myself as best as I can

RE: a side show

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:06 am
by 1275psi
4/12/42
22 P.38 sweep mandalaby, encounter 12 Tony on LRCAP - this unit full of rookies in the 50's - 8 tonies shot down for 2 shot down.
then 9 tony over pagan -these guys in the 70's- encounter 6 spits, 14 hurricanes and 24 vengence
, shot down 3 hurricanes, and 7 vengence

Lautern is hit again

The chinese assualt goes in at kaifeng -and bounces badly
Good!!

current operations are a convoy into adaman island, some squadrons on the move, and troop rotations.
Now have 5 BBs in japan in refit or under repair

RE: a side show

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:08 am
by 1275psi
5/12/42


maybe he is planning a Dec 7 revenge attack???????

cause its niggling raids at lautern, some in Burma, 3 sub attacks, and fighting at kaifeng for the entire war.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ[8|]

RE: a side show

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:21 am
by 1275psi
6/12/42
7 blenhiems night bomb rangoon -1 shot down
sub actions mallacca straight

And lots and lots of naval activity Noumea[:D]
lautern is bombed again -tomorrow I will get him[:@]
pagan is really pounded!


7/12/42
tabpub E mails me -he was planning a Dec 7 revenge!!!!
just fails to make it -but here he comes at last!!!!

many ships sighted enroute to Ndini!!!!
Bbs, LCMs!, ect, ect

Over lautern a single hudson on recon meets 43 CAP zeros -so that trap won't slam shut[:@]

Area1
2 BBs in a thuderstorm are trying to sneak into position for a bombardment on Akyab

Area2
will try another day of LRCAP lautern -though I think this is a bust

area3
how tempting to race south, but I will hold my powder yet - Ndindi is NOT vital.
And it could still be a ruse

Area4
siapan recieves supplies

Area5
Convoys, and still yammato wont repair, this is so frustrating.
Zuiho repairs every day, kaga not at all as well.
Grrrrrr

China has gone quiet, he pulls back a bit.
Not sure what the sneak is up to.
Several reinforcement squadrons are going to china soon for training and reinforcement.
I will never disband a squadron again!!!

Anyway, the war, finally, might be about to start.

RE: a side show

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:45 am
by 1275psi
herbiesans computer melts..............................

there will be a intermission

RE: a side show

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:05 am
by 1275psi
12/9/42
Once again we enter the breach

And its a terribly quiet day - the lull before the storm
more and more i think its the Gilberts -he's stopped reconning baker -and the invasion fleet vanished -not surprising since the gilberts are empty of planes

lets see what happens


10/12.42
lots of shipping in Akyab, a big enemy convoy goes in.
LRCAP oscars meet the enemy over the hex south of mandalaby, 4 lost for 12 enemy planes

The big decision was to unload the mini KB planes -and to re fill them and begin more training out of soerabaya.
If the gilberts are it -i have a little time to rebuild them ..

Not much happening, but i know it will be soon.

RE: a side show

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:21 pm
by 1275psi
lost a day somewhere - nothing happening really anyway!!

11/12/42

A tanker is hit off bataan today
BB fuso is spotted -retiring to join KB
training flights

34 hurricanes meet 7 tojo south of mandalaby - 5 hurricanes shot down
21 spits, 35 hurricanes , 40 mitchells,15 beuforts meet 11 tojo over pagan

7 tojo lost, 4 spit,14 hurricanes and 1 beu shot down

54 P 38 sweep PM on ground attack!

146 B 17 - the big boys come out to play -attack lunga
The 1st big effort by tabpub sees 4 lost, 31 damaged, 44 hits
he gets 30 replacements a month this non PDU game -so I can handle this
44 hits for lunga -nothing to catch on the ground .
This raid is covering a small "nibble" he is making down south - vanikolo -a dot south of Ndini is being occupied.

the glenn recons noumea again , the sub is ordered to check out this move.

Area1
orders are given - naval bombard Akyab!
Area2
training flights, a fair few zeros are in the pipeline now
area3
the solomons remain on alert
area4
gathering supplies in siapan
area5
the home command dispatches 2 cl, and BB hyuga south -all repaired and functional
Im on tenterhooks

RE: a side show

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:34 pm
by 1275psi
12/12/42
Area1
mines on the convoy route.
grrrrr
A small convoy approaches rangoon - no LRCAP for it -its a lure, while my surface ships (underLRCAP) creep into attack positions. Thunderstorms cover.
Air power is growing again, 3 tojo, 1 oscar, 1 tony unit now operating here, another oscar unit is about to join
8 betties were unable to find a target today, more are put onto alert

china, where the AVG hammers 15 nates over canton, is still quiet
25 hudsons hit Gilli, gilli, 10 rufe try to intercept
71 liberators, 47 B 17 also attack.

he is slowly getting into gear -but hardly a steam roller at the moment.


13/12/42
his msws approach PM again -this time 14 Alf from there bomb -but miss.
I refuse to expose what I have, and where, until he crosses a pre detirmined line.
pagan pounded again

the rangoon convoy is attacked -1 Ak hit, the naval forces reach the launch points, thunderstorms still about

he is definately developing a dot south of Ndindi - as a low level response a few RO boats advance to the area.

A troop ship is hit enroute to holliandia

Kaga is still at 25
Zuiho at 15
yammato still at 18
Mushia is 7, kongo 7, haranua at 5, quite a fleet in home waters actually

he can nibble away at this rate forever as far as im concerned -its a long, long way to tokyo at this rate!

its hotting up

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:47 am
by 1275psi
14/12/42
the action in the south pacific begins to warm up

A dd enters PM harbour, and sinks a R boat
1CA,1CL and 3 dd also enter the harbour,, sink a single AK there

58 P38s sweep PM , and encounter 11 zeros, I knock down 8 for no loss
61 liberators then just brush the zeros aside, but score few hits
29 B17 give Lunga a ineffectual bombing.
and 13 Alf out of PM hit a enemy MSW twicem, only 30 KG bombs, but thats good enough

Area1
Burma weather is poor, tomorrow 3cl will hit akyab, a lot of enemy shipping reported lurking in the area, the 2 BBs will wait and see what happens

Area2
DEI
Mini KB is training from soerabaya

Area3
tomorrow we will have more LRCAP over PM
Ordered a convoy from rabual to PM
Dispatched a AV regiment from Truk to woodlark

Area4
scraping up supplies for siapan

Area5
home front, today bought the 53div, it will go to Burma
everything else is fairly quiet.

RE: its hotting up

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:59 am
by 1275psi
15/12/42

a busy day today
the 3 CL sweep into Akyab, sink 2 PTs for no loss (for a change!), bombard Akyab, destroy just 1 spitfire, but escape

Sub actions near kagoshima, java sea
In China I bomb Kunming for ten industry hits, moving these bombers west towards burma

Area1
36 tonies sweep toward Mandalby, the hex to the west, shoot down a solitary hurricane
58 liberators pound pagan, i will rotate some troops
the enmy has 3BB in react position now - nice and close, I bring 2 betty units to rangoon, and put a lot of fighters on escort -my surface ships retire -i hope to get a good naval strike in

Area2
Mini KB sails for the fleet

Area3
58 liberators,38 B17 hit PM, LRCAP of 7 tojo and 12 zero do OK
5 b17 s/d,1 tojo lost
30 B17 hit russel island -this was a shock -thought it safe so far, not many hits, but still, a shock.
78 b17 also hit lunga -6 hits
so its a big, big campaign going on.

In retaliation helens attack a MSW -but miss
Another RO boat sunk -at vanikolov -where he is definately trying to build an advance field
today 1 unit of betties moves to lunga -and 2 zero units go to escort as well, the field is still very, very usable

Everywhere else is quiet.

RE: its hotting up

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:06 am
by 1275psi
16/12/42
34 tony sweep in burma, no reply
48 p38 sweep pm, no action
light bombing china

pagan is pounded by lots of bombers.

13 betties and 44 zero hit Vanikolo - thats the place!, south of lunga
11 p38 on LRCAP
lost 5 zeros, 1 betty, for 2 lightings, and 2 AK torpedoed

30 tony, 37 tojo escort 9 betty to Akyab, meet 35 spit and 30 hurricane

Its a mess
27 tony and 17 tojo are lost for 15 enemy, and no shipping hits
I breal Burma air again - training and experience levels are now well below the usable level

Area1
back to capping, and training

Area2
Quiet

Area3
Set up a LRCAP trap over PM, evac lunga air -quick!

The bad news is at home, my industry seems to be stalling, not producing many planes, and ships are not repairing.
Got to sort this out[:@]

RE: its hotting up

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:23 am
by 1275psi
17/12/42
SS actuion south china sea
3 ASW actions off Milne bay - I am hunting a sub, I hit it, it sinks a MSW
Another SS on a convoy route in the phillipines
tonies sweep near mandalaby, no reaction
burma is still static enemy troop wise -a big convoy is in akyab -I am impotent at the moment to attack it

Heavy recon on the islands north of tenibar -this, and this alone is stopping me sailing to the solomons with KB, and Advance into the timor area is my greatest fear - balikapapan is really the hub of my resource and oil -it HAS TO BE DEFENDED.

Ships ENROUTE towards Thursday island!!!!
8 Alf from PM hit the msw again
This si shaping up to be a UV game type battle all over again.
I can hack that.
59 B17 hit Lunga - nobody home tabpub!!!
Alfs attack the shipping south of thursday island -its a AK - i read this as an invasion

Area1
At last a oscar 1 unit upgrades to oscar2
I retire tonies for training

Area2
Mini KB is dodging subs

area3
I send Betties to various places
Holliandia has 1 bettie unit, and 1 zero unit
wewak - the same
madang - 2 bettie, 1 zero
lea - 1 helen, 1 tojo
gassmatta, 1 bettie, 1 zero
all on max range of 11, zeros max escort
If he approaches thursday island it should hurt him

In the solomons, 3 zero units are enroute, one from truk, one from soerabaya training, one from japan - a returned unit.
3 betty units are in reserve at Truk
Also 3 CL and 5 DD are ordered at high speed towards woodlark - a AO is enroute -this will be tha 1st naval reaction Tabpub will see - not a major force -in case the CVs are about -these are still I believe at Noumea

Area4
Supplies are the thing

Area5
Im trying to work out where industry is falling over, I suspect some port does not have oil or resources or something dumb like that

China
I am planning an offensive

Overall -if he lands at Thursday island -i intend to take it back.

RE: its hotting up

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:53 pm
by 1275psi
18/12/42
I am trying to give the illusion of great strength in Burma - all the units there are very poorly trained now -in the mid 50's, so I must try to avoid battle, yet give the illusion that if he attacks it will be expensive
His fighters are far too well trained for my guys.
So -I send 91 tojo on a sweep west of mandalaby - no enemy contact
35 Tony sweep as well -no contact
In the meantime the remnants of a Tony unit scurry back to Singa's for re training

Pagan recieves another pounding
I have checked the troops carefully there -they are doing very well -fort 9 must be helping

In the DEI - he continues to recon various places north of tenibar - I move a betty unit in, and some zeros -enroute to the solomons stop

In the solomons -a big anti climax -the thursday ships vanish

56 lightings sweep PM, meet 11 zeros on LRCAP - i lose 3, he loses 6
But the pilots were lost[:@]

68 liberators,37 B17 then encounter the 10 zero.
I lost 1 zero
54 B17 hit Lunga -as the seas are green down south

At home, amazement - yammato repaired a point -zuiho also did, an fact all the big ships did.

I am waiting for the nibble too far now, i am still more concerned about an advance into the Timor area.This has the piority.

RE: its hotting up

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:11 pm
by 1275psi
19/12/42
3 sub attacks today -1 AK lost

pagan is pounded today -again - yet the troops are still ok -but the supplies are dropping now.
3 kate destroyed on the ground - I need to get 1 and the pilots out!

We both recon heavily -I am trying to find out what is in darwin -he all of PNG
57 liberators, 38 B17 attacked PM, 9 oscar, 12 zero and 7 tojo on LRCAP -which is working well from Lea intercept
6 liberators shot down -but more telling, the B17s have a moral failure and do not press the attack.
I lose 8 fighters, attrition warfare that i cannot sustain, but I do not have any illusions that by mid 43 i will have many good pilots left.

44 B17 hit Lunga

I am sending all Lillies on map south, I think they will have a better chance down there than in burma.

RE: its hotting up

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:25 pm
by 1275psi
20/12/42
Area1

A unusual event today
10 blenhiem conducted a night naval attack - (good, I had forgotten if we were allowed to do this under house rules -lots of betties will change to that tomorrow) on some AKs south of rangoon
They attack SS Growler 1st -but miss -drat!!![:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(]
They also miss the AK
dawn, and the growler does hit a AK, and then another one in malacca straight also scores one
pagan is hit three times, heavies, mediums, dive bombers.

I have 2 kate left at pagan, and 10 crack pilots
Every fighter I have is to LRCAP the place tomorrow.

The fleet creeps to off Adaman island again
A new division begins to load in japan -it will go to Victoria point -a reserve div.

Area2
Kai island reconned -again
a SC TF of 6 Dd ordered to hit tenibar, and quite a few betties now in the area

Area3
A SS attack on a tanker at truk -misses
A SS sinks a minelayer near lunga
Thursday island reconned -again
PM -reconned
A small convoy for PM rounds the GG corner -it has a escort of 3CL and DDs.
Also 3 ASW groups sail around with it -and GG Rufes provide LRCAP
Woodlark recieves a big convoy

Area4
Palua needs supplies

Area5
a SS of Shangia -missed
The SS problem is now growing alarmingly
kaga is 24, yamato is 15, zuiho 11, Mushia is 6, Kongo is 4, haranua is 5
I gather 4 DD and send them to hiroshima -they will escort 3 of these BBs back south, plus a heavy CA.
another strike force
I am very tempted to send them with zuiho to the kuriles, but think this
OK -they intercept the enemy BBs there
At best they exchange damage - but attu is still lost

Send them south - they may just destroy a convoy- without getting damaged.
So they go south.