Page 3 of 12

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 8:47 pm
by Easy8
Yeah, I saw that movie in the theatre when I was a kid. Definately one of my faves.

The History Channel has a very good documentary about making "The Longest Day" on their History vs Hollywood series. Check it out if you get the chance.

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 8:54 pm
by campekenobi
Here's my one vote, though I'm sure that many of these are based on the AGE of the person... for instance, it's difficult to give older, 'classic' war movies a chance when you've grown up on more recent things like "Platoon" or "Private Ryan". When I think war movie, my vote is Private Ryan because I was EMOTIONALLY affected for days after it. Very powerful experience.

I'm 33 ys. old.

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 9:45 pm
by Bing
Nest time you watch TLD pay particular attention to the scene from the cockpit of the 109 that is strafing the beach. Zanuck ran out of money: Rommel's asparagus extended ONLY as far as the area where the LC's actually come ashore. In Hollywood's world, they could have gone less than a mile down the beach - and no obstacles.

Minor item. Still can't beat the cast. Red Buttons hanging from the chruch tower in St. Mere Eglise - "Ding, dong ... ding, dong." The wonderful Frenchwoman describng the descent of the paratroopers into her backyard. And so on...

Bing

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 9:56 pm
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
I remember Midway fondly.

Only film me and my dad ever watched in a theatre together as just ''the guys".

Seen a lot of films in my life. But I would rather have water torture now than try live through watching a film with him.

He's to old now and gets antsy after 15 minutes in one spot.

Needless to say visits to my parents means watching a film with mother and assuming dad is just somewhere heheh.

Tough choice, but...

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 10:29 pm
by KG Erwin
For the best at portraying the comradeship, the horror, the tension, the humor and the downright boredom when you're not in actual combat, my first pick would be the director's cut of "Das Boot". Ask me again next week and my answer could be completely different, though.

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 11:00 pm
by ananias
I guess my vote would go to either "Talvisota"(winter war) or the older version of "Tuntematon Sotilas"( The unknown soldier). However, Talvisota has some stupid mistakes, that somehow ruin the whole movie (Besides, I like the longer tv-version of the movie better, and I guess that doesn´t count, then).

So, my vote goes for "Tuntematon Sotilas". Great scenes, great acting and big emotions (Besides, you can´t beat the scene where sgt. Rokka wipes out 30 russkies with suomi smg ;).

Best movie..

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 12:52 am
by wulfir
Image

Tuntematon Sotilas

No question about it.

If you can’t get your hands on the movie, try the book. It’s easy the best book I have ever read dealing with WWII. Hell, it’s the best book I’ve ever read any category.

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:38 am
by rbrunsman
Has no one seen "They were expendable?" I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned. I think it was about the Battle of the Bulge. One squad was left to keep back a whole company(?) of Germans. I thought it was very good for a B/W movie. Bob Newhart was in it to offer his unique brand of humor in an otherwise very tense situation. (Then again, I could be misremembering the name of the movie, it's been a while since I saw it.)

[Edit]
Sorry, it was called "Hell is for Heros" (1962). Like I said, it has been awhile since I saw it.

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 5:11 am
by ZeroAntipop
Stalingrad is an incredible movie. True it does not show the massive Russian casualties, but that was not the purpose. It really gave you a lot of sympathy for the Germans, you no longer thought of them as "nazis," but as men.

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 5:52 am
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
I have a film called They Were Expendable

It is a good film too.

John Wayne pic with him in control of an early war South Pacific Fleet. It gets shot up a good bit.

Definitely not Battle of the Bulge though.

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 6:12 am
by rickh
Originally posted by Easy8
Lots of great choices here!

...but "The Longest Day" gets my vote. The scene where the French commandos assault the hotel is my personal favorite. One continuous uncut take for several minutes that starts with a birds' eye view and slowly zooms down to street level...amazing cinemaphotogrophy.
Fetchez la^Char!:D
Bridge on the river Kwai, for best WW2 film

Best war movie

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 4:19 pm
by Brutto-Bob
GETTYSBURG

Ciao.

Cross of Iron

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 6:58 pm
by Grenadier
My absolute favorite, flaws and all, followed by the first five minutes of "The Eagle Has Landed"

Re: Cross of Iron

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:39 pm
by Kanon Fodder
Originally posted by Brent
My absolute favorite, flaws and all, followed by the first five minutes of "The Eagle Has Landed"
I finally got a 'real' version of "Cross of Iron" to replace my taped-from-latenight-TV version last year.

"The Eagle Has Landed" has to be the most disappointing film I have ever seen. I had read the book just a few months prior to the release in 1977. The casting killed it.

Michael Caine is one of my favourite actors, but as a German with a London accent ???

And Donald Sutherland as a wiry, five foot Irishman ???

Maybe someone will remake it someday ...

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 9:24 pm
by DaveConn
I can't believe it, but I don't think anyone has mentioned "Zulu" yet I haven't seen a war movie to compare to it.

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 9:34 pm
by Kanon Fodder
Originally posted by DaveConn
I can't believe it, but I don't think anyone has mentioned "Zulu" yet I haven't seen a war movie to compare to it.
Definitely one of my faves. Michael Caine's first major role.

It's really hard to get down to one title.

I own most of the films mentioned in this list.

Others deserving mention:

Gallipoli and The Wild Geese

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 10:18 pm
by troopie
The Wild Geese , best movie about mercs in Africa ever made. It benefitted from the presence of its technical advisor, Maj. Mike "Mad Mike" Hoare, retired mercenary commander 5 Codo.

The battle scenes from Platoon . I know Vietnam vets who had flashbacks because of that flick. It brought flashes to me, and I've never been within two thousand kays of Vietnam.

troopie

Had to edit my entry to many people dislike it

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 10:39 pm
by Gary Tatro
By the way I think it would be nice of someone to compile a list of all the movies submited so that I could put them on my to purchase video list.

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 10:50 pm
by JJKettunen
I´ve made my choise:

Image

Red Dawn

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 11:07 pm
by Easy8
I was seriously considering "Red Dawn" for my "crappiest war movie" vote:D

(not intended as a flame)

Different strokes for different folks and so on and so on...