Page 3 of 4
RE: What games are you eagerly anticipating?
Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:04 pm
by martok
Gah. I forgot to mention
Crusader Kings II. I'm looking forward to that one as well.
ORIGINAL: hgilmer3
I loved Shogun Total War, so I may take a look at Version 2.
The only reason I'd want to see a sequel to STW is get rid of units/agents that are either fantasy (like the Kensai and Battlefield Ninja) and/or overpowered (Geisha were way too frickin' lethal). Also, making the daimyos & generals less suicidal would be nice.
Otherwise, though, I'm still fine playing the original. The upcoming sequel offers very little that interests me, and much that I actually dislike (not the least of which is that it requires Steam). I'm pretty sure I'll be passing on this one.
ORIGINAL: hgilmer3
I remember there was a central province, maybe Shinano, that you could have a decent but small force there and the AI would outnumber you in surrounding. So, it would attack. And to attack, it had to march all the way across this valley and attack up a hill in a Cul De Sac valley. I'd have my high morale monks and heavy armor guys in the middle with light horse on the flanks and the AI would break on that force every time. I loved those battles.
Shinano is indeed easy to defend. The problem, however, is that every Daimyo and their grandmother wants that province and tries to take it!
When there are four clans (Hojo, Imagawa, Takeda, & Uesugi) who all covet Shinano, whoever actually owns the province at the time is going to have to constantly defend it from invasions. Even with its favorable terrain, I've often been hard-pressed to hold onto it long-term unless & until I have a truly massive advantage in troops. It is fun trying, though!
RE: What games are you eagerly anticipating?
Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:57 pm
by parusski
ORIGINAL: warspite1
Matrix World In Flames - although eagerly anticipating is probably not the correct description; try climbing the walls and salivating at the prospect [X(]
Matrix World In Flames
I could not have said it better. DITTO all the way.
RE: What games are you eagerly anticipating?
Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:40 pm
by Jeffrey H.
A rail boardgame called "Empire Builder" that I just bought....
RE: What games are you eagerly anticipating?
Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:26 pm
by a7v
For me its Rome Total War II also, still playing the first one with mods (Europa Barbarorum, RS2, RTR...)
Another would be a successor to WIR[:D]
with production.....
RE: What games are you eagerly anticipating?
Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:16 pm
by ilovestrategy
ORIGINAL: A7V_U
For me its Rome Total War II also, still playing the first one with mods (Europa Barbarorum, RS2, RTR...)
Another would be a successor to WIR[:D]
with production.....
I still play the first one too. I can't believe I still play that after all of these years.
RE: What games are you eagerly anticipating?
Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:57 pm
by a7v
I think it is still a great game. The strategy part with the creation of an empire is fun, also the battles. I mostly play the EB mod which has an excellent historical background.
Yes, the game has its faults, the AI is not the best, but the combination of strategy and tactical battles is still unmatched, at least for me.
Many people complain that the battles are too easy, that the game is not "challenging" enough and from their point of view they are right, but I use the game more as a roleplayer, I don´t "blizz" the AI and try to build my empire according to history with average armies not only made of pretorian cohorts.
For me the game is still fun and that is the most important thing I can imagine.
Best regards
Rainer
RE: What games are you eagerly anticipating?
Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:06 pm
by Obsolete
I avoided the Total-War series all this time due to shying away from the RTS genre, however, after seeing it promoed enough in those "Battle-of-....." TV shows, I'm starting to feel a little interest in the engine now.
I'm just not too keen on click-fests though.
RE: What games are you eagerly anticipating?
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:59 am
by Anthropoid
Crusader Kings 2 is about the only thing I can say I will buy without any hesitation. Everything else either involves an exclusive digital distribution service (TESV on Steam) that I don't care to join, would probably need me to update this 3year old rig, or just doesn't light my fire.
Really wish somebody would redo/update the Hired Guns/Jagged Edge/Jagged Alliance game, that would be an instybuy. An Oblivion/Fallout-style "Sid Meier's Pirates" type of thing ( but without the fantasy) would be an instybuy too.
Oblivion is taking up plenty of time right now and I have yet to really get any further to finishing any of the major quests, thanks to a heavily modded build. Also bought FO3 GOTY and Morrowind GOTY and haven't even installed them yet. I'm not even feeling too interested in EU Divine Wind right at the moment.
So for me, unless something just sounds terrific and suits my tastes exactly, no new games for quite a while.
RE: What games are you eagerly anticipating?
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:53 am
by DampSquib
For me it's....
Men of War Vietnam & Assault Squad.
Shogun 2.
The next Elder Scrolls.
Matrix games...
Modern Wars Vol 1&2.
Flashpoint middle East.
Combat Command.
Wish list would be..another Carriers at War & GTR 3.
RE: What games are you eagerly anticipating?
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:47 am
by jomni
With WITE out, nothing is eagerly anticipated anymore.
Maybe Matrix World in Flames.
Campaign Series Modern Wars, Flaspiont Middle East, PzC Ostfront are maybe some of the juicy stuff from Matrix that interests me.
Shogun 2 also but I fear my system can't cope.
RE: What games are you eagerly anticipating?
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:57 am
by wworld7
ORIGINAL: jomni
With WITE out, nothing is eagerly anticipated anymore.Maybe Matrix World in Flames.
Campaign Series Modern Wars, Flaspiont Middle East, PzC Ostfront are maybe some of the juicy stuff from Matrix that interests me.
Shogun 2 also but I fear my system can't cope.
Then why did you answer? Was the thread title confusing????
RE: What games are you eagerly anticipating?
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:42 am
by ilovestrategy
ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish
ORIGINAL: jomni
With WITE out, nothing is eagerly anticipated anymore.Maybe Matrix World in Flames.
Campaign Series Modern Wars, Flaspiont Middle East, PzC Ostfront are maybe some of the juicy stuff from Matrix that interests me.
Shogun 2 also but I fear my system can't cope.
Then why did you answer? Was the thread title confusing????
He did answer. He said there is nothing that he eagerly anticipates. It was a clear, very short to the point answer.
RE: What games are you eagerly anticipating?
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:01 am
by wworld7
ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy
He did answer. He said there is nothing that he eagerly anticipates. It was a clear, very short to the point answer.
And then he rambled off-topic...
RE: What games are you eagerly anticipating?
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:07 am
by jomni
Not being defensive but there are also other posts in this thread with similar sentiments as mine.
But if you see it that way then just ignore my post.
RE: What games are you eagerly anticipating?
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:28 am
by diablo1
Fight Fight Fight!

RE: What games are you eagerly anticipating?
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:36 am
by jomni
Nah, lets not escalate things.
RE: What games are you eagerly anticipating?
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:14 am
by Sheytan
The new combat mission. Frankly aside from that I cant think of anything else that captivates me. OH! Yes indeed, Vainglory of Nations...or whatever its now titled.
RE: What games are you eagerly anticipating?
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:16 am
by Sheytan
Try the Warhammer mod for MTW2. It is most excellent, aside for the LOTR mod probably the two best mods made and really transform the base games into something extraordinary.
As a aside the fellows that made the Warhammer mod are working on a new version. Cannot wait. I bought MTW2 just to play those mods.
ORIGINAL: A7V_U
For me its Rome Total War II also, still playing the first one with mods (Europa Barbarorum, RS2, RTR...)
Another would be a successor to WIR[:D]
with production.....
RE: What games are you eagerly anticipating?
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:18 pm
by a7v
Thanks Sheytan, I already know the LOTR mod and its great. I´ll give the Warhammer mod a try.
Btw I also bought MTW2 only for the EB2 mod which is still years away. I always fear that the game is no more available when the mod comes out[;)]
RE: What games are you eagerly anticipating?
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:08 pm
by Jeffrey H.
ORIGINAL: A7V_U
For me its Rome Total War II also, still playing the first one with mods (Europa Barbarorum, RS2, RTR...)
Another would be a successor to WIR[:D]
with production.....
Hahaha...... so true.