Page 4 of 18
RE: General Goofy Does Barbarossa
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:20 pm
by zakblood
ORIGINAL: warspite1
Does anyone know if I can play other cards at this time e.g. Posture - and whether there is any benefit or detriment in so doing?
blitzkrieg large attacking bonus but drinks fuel
sustained minor attack bonus plus less fuel used
defensive = defensive bonus + very little few used
it's a choice, i put Fin's and Huns on defence, all units except tank heavy ones on sustained, so only your Panzer force stays on blitzkrieg unless resting, then choice to alter or not, then again some never alter it so what do i know[8|][:D][;)]
RE: General Goofy Does Barbarossa
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:49 pm
by warspite1
ORIGINAL: Barthheart
Each army group can have a focus and an artillery assignment not just one.
It's ok to give the focus to an Infantry division. But you can hold on to the focus if you think you can improve your relations with the Group commander quickly.
Be careful with changing postures and Rest and Refit cards. Each will lock the formation in place while things are sorted out. Usually 1 or 2 turns.
All your units start the game in Blitzkrieg posture. This is good for a while as it give a big bonus to attacking. But your armour and mech units will burn a lot of fuel while in this posture and your infantry units will gain a lot of fatigue.
Picking the right moment to switch postures is part of the fun! [;)]
warspite1
Okay thanks again [:)]. I will leave it at two cards for the moment.
RE: General Goofy Does Barbarossa
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:51 pm
by warspite1
ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14
Hey Warspite! Glad to see you doing this AAR! If only you had performed Fall Gelb, then this could have been a '40 Barb[;)]
warspite1
That depends on the weather and dice throws, and the naval searches and the.... oh wait that a different game isn't it? [;)]
RE: General Goofy Does Barbarossa
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:52 pm
by warspite1
ORIGINAL: zakblood
ORIGINAL: warspite1
Does anyone know if I can play other cards at this time e.g. Posture - and whether there is any benefit or detriment in so doing?
blitzkrieg large attacking bonus but drinks fuel
sustained minor attack bonus plus less fuel used
defensive = defensive bonus + very little few used
it's a choice, i put Fin's and Huns on defence, all units except tank heavy ones on sustained, so only your Panzer force stays on blitzkrieg unless resting, then choice to alter or not, then again some never alter it
so what do i know[8|][:D][;)]
warspite1
A sentiment I know well [;)][:(]
RE: General Goofy Does Barbarossa
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:59 pm
by Jagdtiger14
I'm thinking that a good time to "rest" and move the FSB's would be foul weather...which, according to reports can happen in July (rain/mud).
RE: General Goofy Does Barbarossa
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:00 pm
by warspite1
Okay then, so onto the reports.
Firstly the Luftwaffe. To hell with what von Brauchitsch says, he's just a vain and cowardly nicompoop (according to the Fuhrer) so I second that emotion naturally. I am going to go for maintaining the air offensive, but only for 4 more days. No idea whether that is a good option but hey, I've got to start somewhere.

RE: General Goofy Does Barbarossa
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:11 pm
by warspite1
So onto the other reports.
Oil! I am going to save the political points here. I would not trust von Brauchitsch to win any argument with Hitler, and Hitler's donkey will no doubt stick the boot in too. Let's hope its a quick campaign.
This next option seems a bit of a nuisance. Anti-partisan and policing or mopping up remnant Soviet troops? I will take a half-way house approach and leave the Rear Area Army in place mopping up - but only for another fortnight at a cost of 6PP (AGC) and 4PP (AGS).
RE: General Goofy Does Barbarossa
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:12 pm
by Jagdtiger14
I wonder what benefit doing the extremes gives you (air offensive)?...other than PP expenditure?...could it be relationships, and/or is there an actual military effect on the fronts? I hope the latter is included in such decisions.
RE: General Goofy Does Barbarossa
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:16 pm
by warspite1
ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14
I wonder what benefit doing the extremes gives you (air offensive)?...other than PP expenditure?...could it be relationships, and/or is there an actual military effect on the fronts? I hope the latter is included in such decisions.
warspite1
No I think its military too. So continuing the air offensive means less mobile artillery for the army but there is a knock on effect for the Soviets in terms of their ability to move and fight.
RE: General Goofy Does Barbarossa
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:17 pm
by Jagdtiger14
Not sure how accurate partisan activity is modeled in this game, but my initial reaction would be to not worry about partisans in the Baltics, White Russia, and Ukraine. Mopping up would probably be good since you will probably encircle these Soviet units close to the front.
I think you also avoid problems with your generals?...maybe even get bonus'?
Good to hear the air offensive reflects battlefield conditions.
RE: General Goofy Does Barbarossa
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:26 pm
by warspite1
Question: Is there no Undo button after making a dumbarse move?
RE: General Goofy Does Barbarossa
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:29 pm
by Aurelian
ORIGINAL: warspite1
Question: Is there no Undo button after making a dumbarse move?
Nope.
RE: General Goofy Does Barbarossa
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:39 pm
by warspite1
ORIGINAL: Aurelian
ORIGINAL: warspite1
Question: Is there no Undo button after making a dumbarse move?
Nope.
warspite1
Oh.....
RE: General Goofy Does Barbarossa
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:40 pm
by Jagdtiger14
Ha, ha!!![:D][&o]
RE: General Goofy Does Barbarossa
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:43 pm
by Tac2i
Reload the autosave which should be the end of your last turn and before the AI has taken its turn.
RE: General Goofy Does Barbarossa
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:49 pm
by warspite1
ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14
Ha, ha!!![:D][&o]
warspite1
What? I was enquiring for the Soviets... obviously. No way would I ahem... make a total horlicks of moving my units.
[;)]
Question: Is there a defined order for moving
and then attacking or can you mix these 'phases' up? i.e. move, attack, move, move, attack. I assume you can mix it up - I did a search of the manual but could see nothing to say these are distinct phases.
RE: General Goofy Does Barbarossa
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:17 pm
by ernieschwitz
You can move, attack, attack, move etc...
RE: General Goofy Does Barbarossa
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:19 pm
by warspite1
ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz
You can move, attack, attack, move etc...
warspite1
Thank you [:)]
Or in my case I can: move, move, get stuck, send an HQ the wrong way, move, launch a rubbish attack and then start again [:D]
RE: General Goofy Does Barbarossa
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:25 pm
by warspite1
The manual (under German Quick Start) says I can assign Command Focus to any of the Panzer Gruppe as I have marginally positive relations with all three Army Group commanders. However that is not true of von Leeb. Have I missed something or is the manual wrong?
RE: General Goofy Does Barbarossa
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:15 pm
by baloo7777
ORIGINAL: warspite1
ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz
You can move, attack, attack, move etc...
warspite1
Thank you [:)]
Or in my case I can: move, move, get stuck, send an HQ the wrong way, move, launch a rubbish attack and then start again [:D]
warspite1
I am laughing with you, not at you...[:D]
But seriously, thank you for doing this AAR! [&o]