Page 5 of 9
RE: Schwerpunkt Games
Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:30 pm
by Bamilus
n/t - please delete
RE: Schwerpunkt Games
Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:38 pm
by Rosseau
I have a copy of the WW2e manual and was disappointed to learn the editor will not be included until all 102 scenarios are done - whenever that will be? Could be six months realistically.
I go back to when Ron would ship his first games in paper envelopes. But AGW was unplayable to me. And the WW2e tutorial is a wall of text in the manual. I simply refuse to work that hard to play any game. WitE was my limit.
RE: Schwerpunkt Games
Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:48 pm
by Bamilus
ORIGINAL: rosseau
I have a copy of the WW2e manual and was disappointed to learn the editor will not be included until all 102 scenarios are done - whenever that will be? Could be six months realistically.
I go back to when Ron would ship his first games in paper envelopes. But AGW was unplayable to me. And the WW2e tutorial is a wall of text in the manual. I simply refuse to work that hard to play any game. WitE was my limit.
I'll admit the WWIIe manual isn't the best but honestly it was written in a pretty no-nonsense approach. There's some stuff that is a bit confusing but I thought the game was actually pretty accessible. Just my opinion but I play WITP/WITE/WITW and this game is maybe 1/20th as complex as them. I'll grant that there are some things that are annoying because the interface isn't the best but I've definitely seen worse. I would say comparing this to AGW would be a mistake because many of the mechanics are similar but the interface is much more improved.
Your point about the 102 scenarios and editor is correct. To be fair the game is probably more of an early access type thing, but not in terms of bugs. The game is very stable, all the mechanics work, the only thing missing is half the scenarios, the editor, and a few tweaks like making HQ's more important. Still fully playable with great depth.
RE: Schwerpunkt Games
Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:04 am
by Templer_12

For a very first look, there is a YouTube video now:
->
Schwerpunkt's World War II Europe wargame Introduction
RE: Schwerpunkt Games
Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:59 am
by MrsWargamer
That video is one of the best game explanation videos I have seen in a long time. Excellently executed, a very advisable watch.
This will easily perform as well as any demo could hope to accomplish. If you still need a demo after watching this, then I doubt the demo would do you any good either

And no, if your machine won't run it, you might want to get rid of the machine eh.
RE: Schwerpunkt Games
Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:46 pm
by Ostwindflak
Curious if anyone knows how the other scenarios will be made available once they are completed. Are they sending them to people who own the game via postal service or through a download option which I do not see on their web page?
RE: Schwerpunkt Games
Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:13 pm
by oldspec4
Newly completed scenarios have been made available through download for those who have purchased the game. I believe that I have downloaded two new scenarios by this method, Uranus and Zitadelle.
RE: Schwerpunkt Games
Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:15 pm
by Ostwindflak
ORIGINAL: oldspec4
Newly completed scenarios have been made available through download for those who have purchased the game. I believe that I have downloaded two new scenarios by this method, Uranus and Zitadelle.
Thank you for the response.
RE: Schwerpunkt Games
Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:52 pm
by MrsWargamer
Truth be told, I have WANTED to like AGW for a long time (I have had it since it came out), but the UI always defeated me.
The video sure makes a difference, and might get me to get this one. I've always liked Ron's unapologetic 'make it look like a board game wargame' stance.
This is more the game I have wanted, than Gary's in a lot of ways. I am not saying Gary's is better or worse, it is just how I saw them matched against each other.
RE: Schwerpunkt Games
Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:30 pm
by Rosseau
Lots of hits on the Wargamer forum for this game. Waiting to get my download link now. Thank you Bamilus, for your opinions.
RE: Schwerpunkt Games
Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:02 pm
by baloo7777
Played 2 scenarios so far. The system works well with no lockups or CTD's. It feels like I'm playing an old boardgame too! You quickly get used to the interface, although I get little irritated with the scrolling, and I'm not too sure about the AI yet. But the amazing interactive response from Ron, and the fun factor, make me very glad I got WW2e.
RE: Schwerpunkt Games
Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:31 pm
by marcpennington
I've said this earlier in the thread, but bears repeating as it seems like a lot of people are jumping into the system at moment---- the auto-scrolling is hopeless, just disable it and save a lot of woe. Instead, zoom up one level, left click (easy to forget), and zoom down for long moves. Cursor keys for short moves. Also, there is now the control left click feature to move the lowest level map to that hex which helps a lot. And also, again, experiment with turning off cursor assisted moves, which was a huge improvement for me.
As far as the distribution of new scenarios asked about above as well, they are from Drop Box (so save your initial link.) It also appears that each time Ron releases a patch, he re-compiles the initial download file with all the latest scenarios---- which is actually a lot more convenient to download then all the modified/ new scenarios individually.
RE: Schwerpunkt Games
Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:19 am
by Templer_12
ORIGINAL: Bamilus
I'll admit the WWIIe manual isn't the best but honestly it was written in a pretty no-nonsense approach...
It must be noted, that the attached tutorial in the game is very short, quick to read, easy to understand, and that, after playing through the tutorial, you can immediately join the game!
The intricacies then you learn during playing the game step by step.
The game is easy to step in, but more demanding than the Panzer General series and clones.
RE: Schwerpunkt Games
Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:28 pm
by Ostwindflak
I watched the video you linked Templer and I was impressed with what I saw. Similar to many of the board games I have. Would almost be like playing one of them via Vassal with someone.
For those of you who have this game, are any of you playing PBEM and if so how is it going?
RE: Schwerpunkt Games
Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:07 pm
by gwgardner
I've played the game PBEM as a playtester. The system works fine, with simple exchange of the save file.
RE: Schwerpunkt Games
Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:28 pm
by warspite1
A few questions please:
- What is drop box exactly?
- How soon after payment is the game available for downloading?
Thanks
RE: Schwerpunkt Games
Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:34 pm
by Barthheart
ORIGINAL: warspite1
A few questions please:
- What is drop box exactly?
- How soon after payment is the game available for downloading?
Thanks
DropBox is a commercial file sharing service. You don't need to have a dropbox. Schwerpunkt will send you a link to theirs so you can download the setup file.
https://www.dropbox.com/
Mr. Dockal works during the day so it can take up to a day to get your download link.
RE: Schwerpunkt Games
Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:49 pm
by Ostwindflak
Just finished reading the entire forum thread for this game over at The Wargamer. I like the support Ron is giving it and is very open to ideas from his community.
RE: Schwerpunkt Games
Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:27 pm
by warspite1
ORIGINAL: Barthheart
ORIGINAL: warspite1
A few questions please:
- What is drop box exactly?
- How soon after payment is the game available for downloading?
Thanks
DropBox is a commercial file sharing service. You don't need to have a dropbox. Schwerpunkt will send you a link to theirs so you can download the setup file.
https://www.dropbox.com/
Mr. Dockal works during the day so it can take up to a day to get your download link.
warspite1
Thank-you
RE: Schwerpunkt Games
Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:32 pm
by Templer_12
ORIGINAL: Barthheart
...Schwerpunkt will send you a link to theirs so you can download the setup file...
You can't mention enough that you have to keep this link!
From this link you download all further modifications and bug fixes to the game!