Page 5 of 9

RE: Win 10 free upgrade

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:10 pm
by Gilmer
ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

Before you get all excited about Windows 10, take your time and wait until all the bugs and concerns have been worked out. I just read from Yahoo Tech: "Windows 10 may share your Wi-Fi password with facebook".

That's OK. I don't "do" facebook.

RE: Win 10 free upgrade

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:39 pm
by Aurelian
ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

Before you get all excited about Windows 10, take your time and wait until all the bugs and concerns have been worked out. I just read from Yahoo Tech: "Windows 10 may share your Wi-Fi password with facebook".

That's OK. I don't "do" facebook.

Me either. I didn't even get the option to disable this Wi-fi Sense. (Don't do wi-fi either.)

RE: Win 10 free upgrade

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:06 pm
by zakblood
2 second job tbh, like all other features many don't want, just need to find them and turn them off, it takes 2 seconds to ask it where is what etc, then another 2 secs to open and turn off

Code: Select all

http://www.techinsider.io/how-to-turn-off-windows-10-wi-fi-sense-2015-7

RE: Win 10 free upgrade

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:10 pm
by british exil
I am still waiting for my download link. Feel like the 29 July was weeks ago.

Maybe Microsoft has forgotten me! [&:]

Mat

RE: Win 10 free upgrade

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:22 pm
by Jeff Norton
MadDogDriveThru..... Now, that is a name I've not heard in a long time... /Obi Wan moment


RE: Win 10 free upgrade

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:23 pm
by Jeff Norton
ORIGINAL: british exil

I am still waiting for my download link. Feel like the 29 July was weeks ago.

Maybe Microsoft has forgotten me! [&:]

Mat
Run Windows Update - it 'should' show there...

RE: Win 10 free upgrade

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:23 pm
by Aurelian
ORIGINAL: british exil

I am still waiting for my download link. Feel like the 29 July was weeks ago.

Maybe Microsoft has forgotten me! [&:]

Mat

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/31/90779 ... w-to-guide

I got tired of waitng, so I used the link in that post.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software ... /windows10 This one.

RE: Win 10 free upgrade

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:44 pm
by Gilmer
ORIGINAL: british exil

I am still waiting for my download link. Feel like the 29 July was weeks ago.

Maybe Microsoft has forgotten me! [&:]

Mat

I kept playing around with it because I never got a notice that asked me to reserve a copy, so I ran window update.

Then I kept playing around with it and pulling up the window that said "reserve your copy", and eventually there was a window that I clicked up and it said, "Begin installation now?"

RE: Win 10 free upgrade

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:26 pm
by rhondabrwn
I used the tool to do a direct download. Ran it most of yesterday and got to 63% completed when I ran out of battery power (we're in our monsoon season right now and it's a record one so I'm really short of power) and the computer shut off.

This morning I rebooted and tried to run the tool again, but it wouldn't run. Then I noticed that I was downloading something big with no programs running, so I assume that it was my Win X download continuing which is great. Could have really used some kind of message or indicator that this was going on though.

Now it's quit downloading and something called wicainventorv.exe is running. I assume things are getting set up but still no message or indication of what is going on. I had expected to get a message asking me to confirm that I wanted to install Win X but it looks like it may be doing it automatically because I selected the "install" option off the download tool (other option was to download an ISO file to "install on another computer"). Not a problem, I'm wanting to install it, but feeling really puzzled right now about what is going on. Microsoft needs to add a bit of informational hand holding IMHO.

Hoping for the best....

Oh, and Windows Task Manager shows nothing running, but CPU usage is running at close to 50%, nothing in "Processes" to account for it and Resource Monitor won't run at all... assuming Microsoft doesn't want anyone to know what their install program is doing in the background.

My recommendation is to start things running and then just go away and spare yourwself the angst of wondering what is happening [:D]

RE: Win 10 free upgrade

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:36 pm
by rhondabrwn
4 1/2 hours and I'm still watching the PC churning away with nothing running according to Windows Task Manager. CPU running at 40%, memory close to maxed out, and nothing showing up in "Processes" but normal little 1% miscellaneous programs running.

How long do I let this run? Sun is setting and power is going to be a problem soon [&:]

RE: Win 10 free upgrade

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:52 am
by Zap
Ronda if your power went out it may mean your install was corrupted and it may not install at all. That is what I've experienced when something I was downloading was interrupted.

RE: Win 10 free upgrade

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:48 am
by zakblood
Windows 10 is an unusual release for Microsoft: if you have a licensed version of Windows 7 or 8/8.1, it will very easily upgrade to Windows 10 - you don't even need to enter a licence key. Clean installations, however, are a bit trickier: you do need to enter a licence key, and your Windows 7/8 key probably won't work.

Fortunately, if you're running Windows 7 or 8, and you really want to use your free Windows 10 licence key to perform a clean installation rather than upgrade, there is a solution. It's pretty convoluted, but it works.

First, you need to do an in-place upgrade to Windows 10. You can do this via Windows Update, or if Windows Update isn't playing ball you can use the direct download tool: English/German/French/Italian/Dutch. If you use the download tool, make sure you select "Upgrade this PC now." It goes without saying that, before you install any new operating system, you should back up any important data beforehand.

Once the upgrade has completed, make sure you've been activated by Microsoft. Open up the new Settings app, then head to Update & Security, Activation. It will say on the right whether you're activated or not (see image). Also note down what version of Windows 10 you have (Home, Pro).

If you haven't yet been activated, you can try forcing it via command prompt: run cmd.exe as an administrator, then type slmgr.vbs /ato. You may need to try a few times, as the activation servers were being hit quite hard.

This first step will convert your current Windows 7/8 key into a Windows 10 key.

Now you need to install Windows 10 again! Grab the Windows 10 download tool and run it. This time, select "Create installation media for another PC." Select the appropriate version (Home, Pro) and the tool will generate an ISO for you. Let the tool help you burn the ISO to a DVD or USB memory stick.

Now, proceed with a clean installation of Windows 10 (select "Custom: Install Windows only" when prompted.) When it asks you for a product key, click Skip. If it asks you multiple times, just keep hitting Skip.

Once you've installed Windows 10, it should activate normally. Again, you might need to manually slam the servers using slmgr.vbs /ato. VoilĂ : a clean installation of Windows 10.

In theory, you should be able to reinstall Windows 10 again in the future on the same PC, but if you make significant hardware changes you might need to use the manual telephone activation process. Currently, it isn't clear if you can take your freebie Windows 10 licence key and use it to install Windows 10 on another machine (but will confirm this once known, as it's a bit vague atm)

download links,

Code: Select all

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

auto update fix / blocker...

Code: Select all

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

also expect Service Release 1 (SR1) to be sometime next month or so

RE: Win 10 free upgrade

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:06 am
by rhondabrwn
Thanks for the tips :) I finally just gave up. 4 gig of my monthly data cap used up and nothing to show for it. Guess I'll wait till nextra month and try again. I've been having trouble with my Steam downloads too. Slow downloads with 300 kB being good :( Damn satellite Internet! It gets worse every month.

RE: Win 10 free upgrade

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:11 am
by zakblood
hope you get it sorted and don't have to re install because of power cut :(

RE: Win 10 free upgrade

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:18 am
by Tac2i
I've upgraded my desktop PC and my Surface Pro 3 to Windows 10. Both operations went smoothly. I'm liking Windows 10!

RE: Win 10 free upgrade

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:36 am
by Toby42
I don't care for Edge (went back to Chrome), and my Microsoft Money stopped working! Other than that, I like it...

RE: Win 10 free upgrade

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:36 pm
by KISSMEUFOOL!
Why would you allow this piece of crap onto your machine without even knowing what it was designed for?? [8|]

Microsoft’s Windows 10 has permission to watch your every move
http://www.techworm.net/2014/10/microso ... -move.html

RE: Win 10 free upgrade

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:11 pm
by zakblood
so i'm guessing you use something completely different as a O/S then?

EULA / Privacy Policy / Terms and Conditions are in all, even Apple, and all spy on you to a degree.

first you need to understand what does and doesn't happen with a O/S.

as it's a platform for other apps, depending on what platform you choose, depends on the level of protection it offers, minus the apps and program you install and use, so on the best platform with the worst programs and apps installed, it's like a house door with the key left it, remove the problem apps and programs and you close some and only some of the draft from the door's.

install 3rd party stuff to fix the leaks and you're half way there, windows 10 has been and is more open than most before it about what it does do and can do and what can and can't be turned on or off atm, saying any different is wrong and poor information i'm sorry to have to say, was on the beta of this for a long time.

every time you install anything, go online, use a mobile phone or send any sort of electronic message, or plain snail mail for that matter, some one has the chance to read it, no matter what you do, or what ever method you use, unless you're saying we go back to writing on slates i can't see the point of repeating the same old scaremongering and poorly misinformed posts, as nothing in the thread has mentioned anything new that hasn't been in all O/S since they first started making them, now at least they are telling you in advance and letting you make a more informed choice, does it keep dates / work and will use it?, is the same as cookies and sites that keep them, who cares?

nobody is forcing anyone to sell there soul to M/S for free with a offer that is going to bite them and steal all their non precious data, what do you do for a living? nuclear rocket research for nasa? or some dodgy stuff that you would like to keep hidden?

my point is, one person's cr@p is another dream tool, a car is a mass killer with the amount of deaths it has caused, planes keep falling out the sky, be we all still use them, cancer kills some, but people still smoke knowing it may, it's choice and informed choice.

a firewall is only as good as the idiot who installs a poor or bad programs onto a computer, a virus program is only as good as a surfer habits and updates for it and the O/S in use.

you show me a better one, and i'll give you a list longer for it's weaknesses?

show me a better designed one? as Apple are very worried, so what else is left to choose, open source?

it has to date the biggest single day and weekly gross installations than all other O/S todate put together, add up the numbers, in 2013 500 million computers were running windows xp world wide, if windows 10 is already outpacing this with installations, by a year or 2, it will be over the XP numbers, so for a cr@p O/S it's doing very well, and i wish i had invented it.

a few days ago M/S released this http://www.windowscentral.com/report-wi ... illion-pcs

so what's the number now?
Even more interesting is the claim that Microsoft hit a max bandwidth of 15 Tb/s, topping the previous record of Apple's 8 Tb/s during their last OS push. Microsoft has reportedly reserved up to 40Tb/s "from all of the third-party CDNs combined".
Their goal is to hit a billion over the next two to three years, so they have plenty of time.

so either way cr@p or not 67 million people disagree with the links comments :)

with maybe a billion over the next two to three years, so as this post will be here then anyway, if i'm wrong, please feel free to come back and tell me, i won't mind either, i will be here same as the info and post...

RE: Win 10 free upgrade

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:03 pm
by Toby42
If you wear your tinfoil hat while you're installing it you'll be OK!

RE: Win 10 free upgrade

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:30 pm
by zakblood
only if your earthed as well [:D][;)]