Page 1 of 1

dialogue box problem

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:23 am
by martyran
Hi All
I am still having a problem with the writing and symbals on the left of the screen not fitting in the box tried 96 dpi font Using windows standard font ??
I have xphomesp2 upto date and a 17 inch fujitsu LCD monitor
I had a thought could it be something to do with the monitors auto screen adjustment ??

Marty



RE: dialogue box problem

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:43 am
by Arjuna
Marty,
 
What do you mean by the monitor's auto screen adjustment?

RE: dialogue box problem

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:02 am
by martyran
Me Again
the auto Adjustment is an auto feature on my monitor and has nothing to do with desk top size I must have been tired last night
But I disabled it any ways to rule out
I have run out of ideas
As i said every thing else works fine
I am at a loss
Marty




RE: dialogue box problem

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:18 am
by TheHellPatrol
I had the same problem, my LCD Widescreen Laptop goes up to 1900X1200[:D], so i changed my DPI to 96(was 120) and re-booted...that solved it for me. At the 1280 res. 96 is a little TOO small for me, 120 is much better but oh well...now it really is a "Laptop" LOL!

RE: dialogue box problem

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:00 am
by martyran
Thanks for the help TheHellPatrol
Unfortunatly the DPI is at 96 I was concidering making it smaller but i have to use the PC for work as well and I wouldnt be able to read any text
well except if i use a magnifying glass

I have left playing the game for a while now it just irritates me now hopfully the patch will fix it

RE: dialogue box problem

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:54 pm
by Arjuna
martyran,
 
What brand and model is your monitor?

RE: dialogue box problem

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:55 pm
by Arjuna
Hey Paul, do you have any suggestions?

RE: dialogue box problem

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:20 pm
by TheHellPatrol
ORIGINAL: martyran

Thanks for the help TheHellPatrol
Unfortunatly the DPI is at 96 I was concidering making it smaller but i have to use the PC for work as well and I wouldnt be able to read any text
well except if i use a magnifying glass

I have left playing the game for a while now it just irritates me now hopfully the patch will fix it
You're welcome, i agree the print is too small for my overused 44yr old gameaholic eyes. Hopefully they will come up with a "scalable" solution as i just got my PC reading glasses updated 8 months ago[:@][;)]. If it makes you feel any better i have had this issue with "some" websites" as well...could be ol' Billy Boy(Microsoft).

RE: dialogue box problem

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:42 pm
by Arjuna
TheHellPatrol,
 
The trouble with scaling fonts is that we would then need to be able to scale the graphical user interface elements containing them - eg on the Sidebar - or else accept truncation of text when the larger size overflows the text box they are in. Scaling a customiseable GUI as we use for the Sidebar is not a trivial undertaking. Further the Sidebar is already choc full as it is. While it would be possible to extend the width it is not possible to extend the height. So increasing the font size would mean a loss of data being displayed or some more complex method of expanding and collapsing displayed data.

RE: dialogue box problem

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:53 pm
by TheHellPatrol
[:D]Understood, i was merely daydreaming. It's hard to let go of things as age creeps in, at 44 i have achieved all(most) of my youthful ambitions and am still (i quote) "ruggedly handsome" at 6'7" 300 lbs still lifting weights/stairclimbing with vigor. On the other hand...my 20x20 vision does me no darn good with fine print and 20" LCD Monitors[8|][;)]. There's more, but i'll save that for my Doctor[:'(].

RE: dialogue box problem

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:34 am
by martyran
martyran,

What brand and model is your monitor?

_____________________________

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com


Its a Fujitu 17 inch LCD monitor


Humm Have also tried other dpi it doesnt seem to make any diference to the right dialogue box
There is something in the graphic display redraw
Even disabling all services so it becomes a windows 2000 looking machine makes no diference

Thanks all


RE: dialogue box problem

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:13 pm
by Arjuna
martyran,
 
Can you try running with another monitor?

RE: dialogue box problem

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:47 pm
by TheHellPatrol
ORIGINAL: martyran

martyran,

What brand and model is your monitor?
If your question was directed at me i installed COTA on my new Laptop:
XPS M1710 Intel Core Duo 2GHZ
17" Ultrasharp Truelife Wide-screen WUXGA LCD
2GB DDR2 SDRAM
512MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GTX

My desktop Philips Digital LCD 20"(18 viewable) i haven't had any problems with but of course it defaults to 96dpi and is an ease to read at 1024x768.

RE: dialogue box problem

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:42 am
by martyran



martyran,

Can you try running with another monitor?

_____________________________

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com


No sorry there isnt another monitor
so stuck there

nothing i do to change any windows setting effects the game
Maybe when the patch comes out it will shake out the curse of the non fitting dialogue box


But the game is rock solid its had no crashes i have not noticed the supply issues but that could be me ?? No blue screen of dreath just this little niggle of looks

What I am doing now is focusing on a minor glith and its detracting from the game
so i am not going to worry about it and try to enjoy the other 99.99% of it

Thanks Ajuna and TheHellpatrol for your replys and help
It makes a real difference to a game when you know there is someone out there who cares enough to try to help or at least listen
Thanks guys
Marty




RE: dialogue box problem

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:19 pm
by Arjuna
Marty,
 
Fair enough but I doubt whether anything we've done in the patch will fix this problem you are having. If you can take your machine to a mates or someway borrow a friends monitor - anything to try it with another monitor, then we can confirm whether its the monitor or some system configuration. That would help.

RE: dialogue box problem

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:53 am
by martyran
Ok I am back again
I loaded up HTTR the other day and noticed that the scenario selection and options screen was a different size depending on the resolution I selected but in COTA the size is the same (full screen) no matter what resolution I choose
Is this helpfull ????
Martin