Page 1 of 1

Newbie needs help (am i called a Groglet?)

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2000 3:22 am
by Takiharo
Okay, I really like the historical topics, and I like even more the strategic command armies, however, I am a bit overwhelmed trying to get into a wargame (demos mainly(someday i'll D/L SPWaW)) I find it damn near impossible because of all the little things that i dont understand, does anyone know of a good Groglet tutorial or a easy wargame for me to get started on? ***please send all replies to my e-mail***

Thank ya'
Takiharo

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2000 10:42 am
by Grok
Originally posted by Takiharo:
Okay, I really like the historical topics, and I like even more the strategic command armies, however, I am a bit overwhelmed trying to get into a wargame (demos mainly(someday i'll D/L SPWaW)) I find it damn near impossible because of all the little things that i dont understand, does anyone know of a good Groglet tutorial or a easy wargame for me to get started on? ***please send all replies to my e-mail***

Thank ya'
Takiharo
Some of the earlier games were realitively easy, compared to some of todays games. And good graphics does not mean a good game. I'd recommend Panzer General to get started with. Its fairly easy and can be had at www.theunderdogs.org along with a manual. I'm sure once you get the hang of that, it will make it easier to play other games. Its DOS based, but should not be too difficult to configure for.




------------------
Don't underestimate the power of the mindless
Grok

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2000 2:55 am
by waynef
Panzer General II .. Its in Windows 95, there's also upgrades on the net for equipment (Zerster).

Age of Rifles is a good game (1800's warfare)

------------------
Thanks
Wayne

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2000 1:36 am
by Billy Yank
You might also want to get a small reference book on the period you're playing in. You can pick up pocket guides that cover subjects like "Armor in WWII" for 6-7 USD. Leave the big encyclopedia type books for later. Then, when you're playing the game and you come across something you don't recognize, look it up in the book.


------------------
Billy Yank
I don't define "my own" the way you want me to.

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2000 5:18 am
by Pack Rat
"Groglet" ROFLMAO. I want to be one too Image

------------------

Good hunting,
Pack Rat

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2000 9:24 am
by maxevan
I have to second the idea on Panzer General 2 for afaik Underdogs is gone....
I started out with PG1 and it helped me understand the basics of WW2 warfare; artillery, combined arms, etc. Also helped with the different types of untis. Even thought it is not exactly difficult it does get these ideas across. Also reading on the subject fueled my understanding. I highly recommend the Stephen Ambrose bboks and the Martin Gilbert Book on WW2

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2000 3:12 am
by nittany
Try HPS' Panzer Campaign: Smolensk.
Your are not a Groglet, but, a slimy pollywog. I can barely stand to speak to you, being a trusty Shellback.