Page 1 of 1

this game is definitely a lot of fun, possible solution to issue of time limits

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:20 pm
by leehunt27@bloomberg.net
First of all, Panzer Command is great. I am definitely enjoying the excitement, graphics & challenge, and the missions are realistic and thankfully replayable. Just because you know where the Russian T-34's and AT guns are lurking doesn't mean its any easier to blitzkrieg through or around them! I played CM but definitely like this much, much better for those of you considering the purchase.

Some players, including myself, were frustrated with the battle time limit (for example i had nearly cleared the map of Russians after 28 turns and taken two flags but lost the battle at the end of turn 28 as time lapsed).

Perhaps, instead of the defense timing out a victory after 25-30 turns or so, these possible solutions might work? What do you think?

1) in the campaign, the attacker receives less points next battle as a penalty, or the defender receives more to simulate reinforcements arriving after a slow attack
2) giving the player the option of time limits based on difficulty level
3) no time limit at all toggle for each battle (certain ones are more realistic with a limit etc than others)


Also,

Have designers considered:

1) minefields
2) larger map (allowing later reinforcements and or withdrawals)
3) more choice on map where to place units initially, especially if there are minefields etc
4) a supply truck

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

PS infantry IS very useful. you need them to clear the woods of AT guns etc and other narrow invasion paths

RE: this game is definitely a lot of fun, possible solution to issue of time limits

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:31 pm
by Mobius
[font=arial]
Yeah, I wish there was more time. 
I usually go through two artillery cycles to soften up the enemy before I move more than a few hundred meters from my starting point.    Then dueling from a stop with anything that shows up. That takes at least 10 turns.  
Because of the time from there I'm at the knife's edge between a Decisive victory or a marginal defeat.
[/font][/align]

RE: this game is definitely a lot of fun, possible solution to issue of time limits

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:30 pm
by Marc von Martial
As for "minefields", yep coming in the upcoming expansion set.



RE: this game is definitely a lot of fun, possible solution to issue of time limits

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:44 pm
by Erik Rutins
Hi leehunt27,
ORIGINAL: leehunt27@bloomberg.net
First of all, Panzer Command is great. I am definitely enjoying the excitement, graphics & challenge, and the missions are realistic and thankfully replayable. Just because you know where the Russian T-34's and AT guns are lurking doesn't mean its any easier to blitzkrieg through or around them! I played CM but definitely like this much, much better for those of you considering the purchase.

Very glad to hear it, thank you for the compliments!
Some players, including myself, were frustrated with the battle time limit (for example i had nearly cleared the map of Russians after 28 turns and taken two flags but lost the battle at the end of turn 28 as time lapsed).

For the first expansion, we decided to externalize these to the scenario XML file and we'll also likely ease up a bit on the default defender VP timing. It does keep things tight for the attacker, but perhaps constrains possible tactics a bit too much.
1) in the campaign, the attacker receives less points next battle as a penalty, or the defender receives more to simulate reinforcements arriving after a slow attack

Interesting idea, though playing with campaign balance can be tricky.
2) giving the player the option of time limits based on difficulty level
3) no time limit at all toggle for each battle (certain ones are more realistic with a limit etc than others)

#3 is the goal with the externalized victory conditions. #2 is effectively already in place to a degree since the changes to points available at each difficulty level is part of the victory equation.

1) minefields
2) larger map (allowing later reinforcements and or withdrawals)
3) more choice on map where to place units initially, especially if there are minefields etc
4) a supply truck

#1 and #3 are in the first expansion. #2 should be in the one after that, though reinforcements are already in the first expansion which is scheduled for release before Christmas. I'm not sure what you are suggesting with #4, could you elaborate please?
PS infantry IS very useful. you need them to clear the woods of AT guns etc and other narrow invasion paths

I agree, though they will be even more useful in the terrain in the Kharkov expansion. Folks have to keep in mind that Winterstorm just took place on great tank country and involved lots of tanks historically. In Kharkov, there will be hills, forests and town maps that will make you wish for even more infantry than you can buy.

Regards,

- Erik

RE: this game is definitely a lot of fun, possible solution to issue of time limits

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:41 am
by AlvinS
I do agree that this is an awsome game. Great job to all involved. I have started my first campaign (6th Army) and am having a great time. I pulled out a Marginal on the first scenario. I am very happy about that.

I agree that we need more flexibility in placing our units at the start. It would also be nice to pre-load infantry on their transports so placing them is easier. If I want to move them now, I have to move infantry and their transport separatly. That is just a minor issue. Mines will add alot to the game. If Wild Bill gets hold of the scenario editor we are in trouble. [:D] I still get jumpy when I play his scenarios in Steel Panthers.

Again great job on another keeper. [&o]


RE: this game is definitely a lot of fun, possible solution to issue of time limits

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:13 pm
by leehunt27@bloomberg.net
Erik & Marc, thanks for the updates!  I myself and i'm sure many others appreciate it when the game makers follow through on their design and continue to improve an already enjoyable experience...

RE: this game is definitely a lot of fun, possible solution to issue of time limits

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:02 pm
by dennisb55
ORIGINAL: AlvinS
If Wild Bill gets hold of the scenario editor we are in trouble. [:D] I still get jumpy when I play his scenarios in Steel Panthers.
Again great job on another keeper. [&o]

No kidding, one of the best uses of 155mm arty is mine detection! He picks some of the wierdest places to place a minefield. It really becomes ingrained in you to slow down or lay a carpet of shell holes to drive over, but even that doesn't always expose them.

RE: this game is definitely a lot of fun, possible solution to issue of time limits

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:22 am
by AlvinS
He picks some of the wierdest places to place a minefield. It really becomes ingrained in you to slow down or lay a carpet of shell holes to drive over, but even that doesn't always expose them.

Does he ever. My personal favorite is when you get 3 units through one spot, and the 4th unit....BLAM! He always keeps you guessing. Would be fun if he created scenarios for Panzer Command.