Page 1 of 1
Running WitP as a Window
Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:54 pm
by DSwain
Hi
I want to run WitP ina window so I can have Word/Notepad open for writing up plans, strategies etc and checking my notes between turns. Any easy way of doing this? Hving some problems right now
cheers
RE: Running WitP as a Window
Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:18 pm
by niceguy2005
ORIGINAL: DSwain
Hi
I want to run WitP ina window so I can have Word/Notepad open for writing up plans, strategies etc and checking my notes between turns. Any easy way of doing this? Hving some problems right now
cheers
Yes, someone just posted the proceedure a couple of days ago. You need to enter the Windows mode switch to the WitP executable via the properties dialogue. YOu can probably find the previous Thread somewhere. I don't recall the exact proceedure.
Having tried it I went back to the standard setting. Running in windows mode I had way too much graphics corruption. It's easier just to alt-tab back and forth.
RE: Running WitP as a Window
Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:20 pm
by DSwain
many thanks for the tip
RE: Running WitP as a Window
Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:29 pm
by Akos Gergely
Click the properties of the start icon for your Witp and select the Target field and just type " -w" after the full path and press OK (note that there shoud be a space then the two characters). Thats all.
RE: Running WitP as a Window
Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:15 pm
by DSwain
cheers
RE: Running WitP as a Window
Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:16 am
by veji1
The target field in the executable is greyed out, ie, I can't access it and type the -w thing, while I can do it on a shortcut but it doesn't work...
Any idea ?
RE: Running WitP as a Window
Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:01 pm
by dtravel
Right-click on the shortcut, select "Properties", change the Target field to: "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific\War in the Pacific.exe -w" with the quotes.
If you installed the game to a different directory, then change the directory above accordingly.
The -w does NOT work when applied to the default shortcut that is created by the installation program. That shortcut starts a different, "launcher" program, not the actual game executable which is what the -w parameter must be applied to.
RE: Running WitP as a Window
Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:10 am
by 1EyedJacks
ORIGINAL: DSwain
Hi
I want to run WitP ina window so I can have Word/Notepad open for writing up plans, strategies etc and checking my notes between turns. Any easy way of doing this? Hving some problems right now
cheers
Virtual PC is now a free download - this might do the trick for you but you'll need a lot of memory...
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx
RE: Running WitP as a Window
Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:14 am
by MarcA
ORIGINAL: DSwain
I want to run WitP ina window so I can have Word/Notepad open for writing up plans, strategies etc and checking my notes between turns. Any easy way of doing this? Hving some problems right now
cheers
I do the same thing but instead of running in windows mode I just alt-tab between word, excel and witp. The is a probelm with screen refreshing when switching back to witp but by choosing another acreen, i.e. alt-a for the full map, it corrects itself.
RE: Running WitP as a Window
Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:47 am
by veji1
ORIGINAL: dtravel
Right-click on the shortcut, select "Properties", change the Target field to: "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific\War in the Pacific.exe -w" with the quotes.
If you installed the game to a different directory, then change the directory above accordingly.
The -w does NOT work when applied to the default shortcut that is created by the installation program. That shortcut starts a different, "launcher" program, not the actual game executable which is what the -w parameter must be applied to.
So I delete the shortcut I have on my desktop, create a new one from the executable, on my desktop, and then do the properties mod... Did I get it right ? I'll try that tonight...
Thanks.
RE: Running WitP as a Window
Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:50 pm
by dtravel
ORIGINAL: veji1
ORIGINAL: dtravel
Right-click on the shortcut, select "Properties", change the Target field to: "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific\War in the Pacific.exe -w" with the quotes.
If you installed the game to a different directory, then change the directory above accordingly.
The -w does NOT work when applied to the default shortcut that is created by the installation program. That shortcut starts a different, "launcher" program, not the actual game executable which is what the -w parameter must be applied to.
So I delete the shortcut I have on my desktop, create a new one from the executable, on my desktop, and then do the properties mod... Did I get it right ? I'll try that tonight...
Thanks.
Deleting the old shortcut isn't a requirement, just something that most of us "old-timers" do.
RE: Running WitP as a Window
Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:46 pm
by TOMLABEL
ORIGINAL: dtravel
Right-click on the shortcut, select "Properties", change the Target field to: "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific\War in the Pacific.exe -w" with the quotes.
If you installed the game to a different directory, then change the directory above accordingly.
The -w does NOT work when applied to the default shortcut that is created by the installation program. That shortcut starts a different, "launcher" program, not the actual game executable which is what the -w parameter must be applied to.
Just an FYI. I tried this last night, but could not get it to work. I then copied the War in the Pacific file as a shortcut to the desktop. I then edited the target field, BUT put the -w AFTER the quotes. "C:Matrix Games\War in the Pacific\War in the Pacific.exe" -w.
That's what finally worked for me.
TOMLABEL
RE: Running WitP as a Window
Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:02 pm
by dtravel
I will try to remember that. But since I don't play in windowed mode I probably won't. [;)]
RE: Running WitP as a Window
Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:25 am
by Hartley
Running in windows mode I had way too much graphics corruption.
Mouse scrolling is also a problem.
Too bad, since my LCD does not interpolate 1024x768 too well.