Page 1 of 1
Forming TFs
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:41 pm
by tocaff
I'm playing V 2.42 as the Japanese in SC #12. When I try to form a transport TF and pick my ships as APs and various escorts after loading the troops that I want I check the screen to see that the game has added APDs to the TF. What gives? Anybody elase notice this problem? If it happens again I'll ship a save file for inspection. Why so many bugs?
RE: Forming TFs
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:45 pm
by tanjman
tocaff,
IRC when loading troops on a TF if the game doesn't think there is enough capicty it will automaticlly add transports (APDs, LSTs, APs etc..) to the TF from the port.
My work around was to always create a temporary TF to hold all of the unused transports in, then load the LCU on the proper TF.
RE: Forming TFs
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:49 pm
by tocaff
Thanks sounds like a good idea to me. I wonder why I didn't think of that? There was more than enough of carry capacity involved for the load requirements.
RE: Forming TFs
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:32 pm
by btaft
Tocaff,
I am relatively new to the game as well and have been playing scn 16. I read on an FAQ somewhere a very good way to load up troops for an invasion or transfer. I form seprate mini TFs for each unit and assign them a rendezvous hex and set for patrol/do not retire. For example an INF unit which typically takes a little over 4K to load up would use a TF with either a 2K + 3K AP or 3 1.5K APs. This way the AI does not make bizare choices on which troops to put in which APs (i.e. using a 3K AP for a 600 Engineer Unit). Once they all reach the rendezvous place I combine all of the task forces into one and add escorts.
It has really reduced the frustration for me. I can't take credit for the idea, someone else posted it (Leo, I think)
Best of luck
RE: Forming TFs
Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:22 pm
by tocaff
This is great to hear. When I played against the AI in the past these isuues never reared their heads. Now if my damned bombardment force would only obey orders and hit the target more than once.......
RE: Forming TFs
Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:53 pm
by btaft
ORIGINAL: tocaff
This is great to hear. When I played against the AI in the past these isuues never reared their heads. Now if my damned bombardment force would only obey orders and hit the target more than once.......
I haven't found this to be too hard to pull off. I usually just set the TF to patrol/do not retire and re-order to bombard each night. In my opinion it actually works better to allow them to steam away and then re-issue the bombard command. This way they are usually out of LBA range. Usually bombaring more than a couple of times seems to be a wasted effort.
RE: Forming TFs
Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:52 pm
by tocaff
I had the bombardment for set to:
1 follow a transport TF
2 patrol
The fleet commander bugged out against orders after hitting the target. The was plenty of air cover although the Allies never tried to hit the force with anything other than subs and shore batteries. I want the Allies to try and hit me while I'm still strong enough to fight back.
RE: Forming TFs
Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:45 pm
by btaft
You might be able to do this by changing the destination from follow the transport TF to ultimate destination hex of the transport TF and set it on patrol/do not retire. It will switch back to surface comabt after bombarding but it should remain in the hex. I would do this when the transport TF looks to be about a day away from the landing. You can then tell it to bombard again.
Having it steam away in the morning is not that bad since you know it can make it to the ex for another night bombardment run each day, unless you wanted it to stay in the hex as surface support.
Just trying to help out
RE: Forming TFs
Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:12 pm
by tocaff
Thanks, sounds like a good idea, but I wanted it to stay for support as I had plenty of CAP.