Page 1 of 2

Who is the best WiTP player?

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:56 am
by Jagdfluger
I am trying to find out who everything thinks is the best player out there.

I put this thread here because I hope to challenge whoever emerges as the consensus favorite. I am 13-1 in e-mail games, losing only my first game as the Allies. I play more as the Japanese than the Allies, but I am willing to play either side with almost any house rules. I prefer CHS extended, but will defer to my opponent.

Thanks for your responses...


RE: Who is the best WiTP player?

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:33 am
by AU Tiger_MatrixForum

RE: Who is the best WiTP player?

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:10 pm
by stldiver
For your score of 13-1 there are many variables, as to why the games ended and what you consider a victory. It would be very hard to play that many to completion and thus what constitutes a victory? A classic example would be PZB's AAR which the first few opponents were soundly thrashed, and anyone quiting in that time frame would have declared the Japanese the victor, on the other hand with time and Andy Mac the worm has turned and victory is back up in the air. Both mentioned players are highly skilled and know the race is a long one. There are also many players that play in the background and are not noticed by most of the board, thus unknown as to their skill level.

My point is there are very many quaility players and it is hard to asses the skill level. I currently have 2 PBEM's going, and have had 2 players quit on me, Should I declare those two victories, probably not, the time spent playing them brought some enjoyment, but the lost hours could have been better spent with a longer term player. Thus find someone who will fight the long fight not the quick and dirty.

RE: Who is the best WiTP player?

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:28 pm
by Jagdfluger
You are right.  My longest game was until late June 1942 playing as the Japanese with Kergulen almost two years ago (he is the one that beat me when I played as the Allies).  All others have surrendered before that time.  I would love to play a long game into 1943 or beyond.  The past 4 or 5 of my games as Japan I have included a provision that autovictory would not count and I would play on, but no takers so far.
 
 

RE: Who is the best WiTP player?

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:48 am
by Captain Cruft
Hi Jagd.

I am probably not the best player, but I do understand how the game works and will not quit.

If you would like a game please send me a PM. The only condition would be that Andrew Brown's map is used. It can be a stock scenario or CHS. I have version 1.804.

Cruft


RE: Who is the best WiTP player?

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:31 am
by Luskan
13-1? *sniff* [8|]
 
Knock up 20 "victories" and then drop me a line so I can "educate" you [:D]
 
On a more realistic note, I'd love to challenge you to a stock scn 15, but I've got far too many games going at the moment to do so.  Will need to polish off a few opponents before I can go hunting for new scalps. 
 
Nice to hear someone who is a competant player actually lost as the allies! Gives me a bit more faith in the game [8D]

RE: Who is the best WiTP player?

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:11 pm
by Cap Mandrake
OK..who looked at this thread to see if anyone mentioned them? Come on, fess up.

RE: Who is the best WiTP player?

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:52 pm
by Sonny
ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

OK..who looked at this thread to see if anyone mentioned them? Come on, fess up.

Not me! I just looked to see if you were mentioned.[:D]

RE: Who is the best WiTP player?

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:44 pm
by Cap Mandrake
ORIGINAL: Sonny
ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

OK..who looked at this thread to see if anyone mentioned them? Come on, fess up.

Not me! I just looked to see if you were mentioned.[:D]

Bwahahaha. Oh, that's rich. I just lost Singapore before the end of Januray [:)]

RE: Who is the best WiTP player?

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:06 pm
by Sonny
ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake
ORIGINAL: Sonny
ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

OK..who looked at this thread to see if anyone mentioned them? Come on, fess up.

Not me! I just looked to see if you were mentioned.[:D]

Bwahahaha. Oh, that's rich. I just lost Singapore before the end of Januray [:)]

Ooooh I need you as an opponent!

RE: Who is the best WiTP player?

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:00 pm
by GaryChildress
I recommend VSWG for CHS. As Allies he sports a tenacious defense of DEI and has anticipated most of my moves so far. Between 4Es, MTBs and mines he'll give you headaches.

Of course there's the possibility that I just suck. [:D]

RE: Who is the best WiTP player?

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:08 pm
by GaryChildress
ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

OK..who looked at this thread to see if anyone mentioned them? Come on, fess up.

OK, I did. [:D]

RE: Who is the best WiTP player?

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:11 am
by Jagdfluger
My loss as the Allies came after I did a War Plan Orange type move with the un-attacked Pacific Fleet battleships from Pearl. I sent 2 TFs with 4 BBs each to Truk to pre-empt a gathering force readying for an invasion of Rabaul.

Unfortunately, the bulk of the Japanese battleship fleet was guarding the port, plus plenty of cruisers and detroyers sporting Long Lance torps.

I timed my appraoch wrong and attacked at night.

So, major damage to the US fleet and Bettys and Nells finished all by 1 BB off.

After that, I lost my carriers defending Efate/Luganville and an easy autovictory was a certainty for Kerugulen.

RE: Who is the best WiTP player?

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:00 am
by mogami
HI Kerugulen is a good player. I am about to enter 1944 in game as Japan against him.  He does nothing silly. 

RE: Who is the best WiTP player?

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:59 am
by Przemcio231
Well it depends what do you mean by Good Player[;)] the one who is a good tactican or the one who knows how to exploit game weakness[;)]

RE: Who is the best WiTP player?

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:12 am
by denisonh
Enforcer

RE: Who is the best WiTP player?

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:57 am
by Sonny
ORIGINAL: Mogami

HI Kerugulen is a good player. I am about to enter 1944 in game as Japan against him. He does nothing silly.

Then why play him???



[:D][:D]

RE: Who is the best WiTP player?

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:28 pm
by Mike Scholl
ORIGINAL: Gary Childress
Of course there's the possibility that I just suck. [:D]


It takes a BIG MAN to admit the possibility that we all fear deap down..., that someone else has figured out how this darned code works while we're still trying.

RE: Who is the best WiTP player?

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:29 pm
by denisonh
How do you rate on the silliness scale Sonny?
ORIGINAL: Sonny
ORIGINAL: Mogami

HI Kerugulen is a good player. I am about to enter 1944 in game as Japan against him. He does nothing silly.

Then why play him???



[:D][:D]

RE: Who is the best WiTP player?

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:10 pm
by castor troy
ORIGINAL: Jagdfluger

You are right.  My longest game was until late June 1942 playing as the Japanese with Kergulen almost two years ago (he is the one that beat me when I played as the Allies).  All others have surrendered before that time.  I would love to play a long game into 1943 or beyond.  The past 4 or 5 of my games as Japan I have included a provision that autovictory would not count and I would play on, but no takers so far.



June ´42? [8D] As the lenght of your PBEMs probably doesn´t say much about your skill, but June ´42 is still funny for me. I´ve got 2 PBEMs in late 43, one in 11/42 and two in mid 42.