Page 1 of 1

Airstrike Bug - Kills Friendly Leader

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 7:02 am
by ddearing
A held over bug from earlier versions of PacWar. When making an airstrike against a base location with a friendly leader assigned, sometimes the friendly leader is killed. I have never, ever seen an airstrike against a base kill an enemy leader.
i.e. Allied airstrikes kill allied leaders and Japanese airstrikes kill Japanese leaders.
This happens both with human- and computer-controlled airstrikes. It does not matter which side owns the base location. It does not matter where the strike originates from.
In my latest game: Merrit, Woods and Sakurai (sp?) have all been killed by their own air forces, and it's still 1942!

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 8:09 am
by Rich Dionne
I'm sure it's not a bug. It was intentionally coded to reflect the possibilities of inflicting collateral damage on friendly troops, and boy can it be painful! During the Cobra Operation in Normandy, Lt. General Leslie J. McNair was killed by friendly fire from USAAF bombers.

I must admit, however, that sometimes it has seemed like the Pacwar air forces had a vendetta against the Army brass. It sounds like your luck has been particularly bad.

Regards,

Rich Dionne

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 1:01 pm
by ddearing
If there's some mistaken attacking going on with other effects, there needs to be some reporting to that effect. If not, my opinion is that this featurette should be removed. It is not consistent with the rest of the game, no other "friendly fire" effects occur anywhere.
Also, as I said, I have in over five years of playing PacWar never, ever seen an airstrike on a base location kill any leader except on the same side as the aircraft. I've seen enemy leaders killed by airstrikes on ships and submarine attacks on ships (don't recall whether I've seen leaders killed in surface actions). I suspect a reversed conditional in the leader-whacking code for airstrikes on land targets.

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 8:25 pm
by Rich Dionne
Yes, I believe that bombing your own leaders is the only "friendly fire" effect in the game. As you know, it's from the original game code; Michael Wood probably didn't have time to modify it.

I also have never seen bombing or bombardment kill an enemy leader (too bad).

I've never experimented with this, but I wonder if heavy bombers are more likely to do this than other aircraft?

Regards,

Rich Dionne

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2000 7:15 pm
by Supervisor
i.e. Allied airstrikes kill allied leaders and Japanese airstrikes kill Japanese leaders.
In my latest game: Merrit, Woods and Sakurai (sp?) have all been killed by their own air forces, and it's still 1942![/B]
strange in this game or the the last one, I have never seen this happen, in my game last night, I lost Howling Mad Smith, on Turk, with a night bomber raid of Betties

in fact I have never seen a AI leader killed except when he loses a base and kills himself (or as the Allies, surrenders)

HARD_Sarge




------------------
Semper Fi

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2000 9:00 pm
by mogami
I usally end up putting all the China area ac on training when I am trying to fight in China since they kill a leader every other week when I want them to fly I remove all leaders

------------------
I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a differant direction!

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2000 9:13 pm
by Drex
Last night I killed Admiral Hirose with a squadron of Beaufort II's when he invaded Kiriwina Is. They still took the island. Frankly I had never seen this before in the old game- just dumb luck I guess.

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2000 12:13 am
by Cmdrcain
Originally posted by ddearing:
A held over bug from earlier versions of PacWar. When making an airstrike against a base location with a friendly leader assigned, sometimes the friendly leader is killed. I have never, ever seen an airstrike against a base kill an enemy leader.
i.e. Allied airstrikes kill allied leaders and Japanese airstrikes kill Japanese leaders.
This happens both with human- and computer-controlled airstrikes. It does not matter which side owns the base location. It does not matter where the strike originates from.
In my latest game: Merrit, Woods and Sakurai (sp?) have all been killed by their own air forces, and it's still 1942!

Umm It's not a bug, and believe me, airstrikes can kill other sides,
theres in the code a chance that any leader , either side can be wounded or killed.

Recently In action, allied Wounded several Japanese in attacks, land and sea.

The Update seems to allow it to happen more often, not so much killing buT i've seen more wounding.


Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2000 12:17 am
by Cmdrcain
Originally posted by Rich Dionne:
Yes, I believe that bombing your own leaders is the only "friendly fire" effect in the game. As you know, it's from the original game code; Michael Wood probably didn't have time to modify it.

I also have never seen bombing or bombardment kill an enemy leader (too bad).

I've never experimented with this, but I wonder if heavy bombers are more likely to do this than other aircraft?

Regards,

Rich Dionne
I've seen bombing of bases where friendly forces are at have friendly as well as enemy leaders wounded or killed even in the old version.

Seen it with attacks on ships too.

Its just that its random and doesn't occur always..