Page 1 of 1
Elasson Rearguard Multi AAR
Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:23 am
by barbarossa2
As requested, I would like to provide a brief AAR of my Elasson Rearguard game, online, against one of my favorite opponents.
A strong armored and infantry force attacks a New Zealand rearguard. Both sides must exit a force to the south.
As the Germans, I will have at my disposal about six maneuver units as a part of the second Panzer Division. That is, about six combined arms units which are capable of sustaining themselves on the battlefield...with a little help from assets from their parent organizations.
We are using historical forces and reinforcements and seasonal weather.

RE: Elasson Rearguard Multi AAR
Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:46 am
by barbarossa2
Victory conditions are as follows.
For the destruction of the enemy's forces, a total of 25 VPs is awarded.
For siezing and holding ALL THREE of the bridges at Magouri, Agoula, and Elasson, a total of 17 points are awarded.
For the control of Tirnavos 25 points are awarded.
For exiting units off the map, a total of 83 points can be awarded.
Upon consideration of these victory conditions, it appears that the AmMagEl bridge line MAY be a red herring, and worth bypassing for the German player.

RE: Elasson Rearguard Multi AAR
Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:10 am
by barbarossa2
By 1200 Hours, rcon has revealed the allies have dropped back to Elasson, and I have sent two maneuver units --the entirely of the 304th Regiment as well as attached II/3rd Panzer Bn-- to probe the defenses and attempt to seize the bridge intact. The map indicates it has been primed. Engineers from 304th HQ are sent in to improve the odds of taking it successfully. Growing resistance appears to show that allied units north east of the Elasson bridge have been pulled back to defend this position. It appears approximately 2 allied battalions are operating in the area.
Feeling the recon battalion is too fragile to deal with the heavy fighting which may develop in the area, I quickly send it west with a probe order in an attempt to seize and hold the bridge at Magoula. At this moment, I consider it a diversion. However, if there is little opposition I may just try to pick up the points for the AmMagEl bridge line. Of course, it is always possible it may be my opponents tactic to bait me in this way. Time will tell.

RE: Elasson Rearguard Multi AAR
Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:25 am
by barbarossa2
Situation> Day 1, 2000 hours
The bridge at Elasson seems to be a harder nut to crack than I had thought. Major running battles around it throughout the day seem to have brought my left flank to a halt. 5 Rec Bn in the west, however, has taken the town of Magoula unopposed, and I have just given it orders to move on to Dhomenikon and sieze the bridge in an attempt to make retreat for any elements of the allied army, that much more difficult.

RE: Elasson Rearguard Multi AAR
Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:40 am
by barbarossa2
Situation: Day 2, 0800 hours
The recon battalion has apparently taken Dhomenikon and its bridge by surprise, and is now surrounded in an action to hold it against all takers. Feeling these units fragile, I step up pressure at Elasson, deploying more divisional assets into the fray. A pleasant surprise arrives on the south end of the map in the form of a Geburgsjaeger Company. I earmark it for roadblocking efforts south of Tirnavos when the time comes.

RE: Elasson Rearguard Multi AAR
Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:52 am
by barbarossa2
Situation> Day 2, 1600 hours
The second Schuetzen Regiment has arrived and has been deployed against Elasson. I/2 being held in reserve as three maneuver groups hammer on the bridge crossing. The recon Bn is holding out well under tremendous pressure in the west. Yet towards the end of the day, I begin to get a little nervous about the losses they are taking--and fearing a collapse, I give orders to send the I/2 around the north to Magoula and then south in an effort to support the 5 Rec Bn.

RE: Elasson Rearguard Multi AAR
Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:07 am
by barbarossa2
Situation: Day 3, 0800 hours
My general woke up this morning and the II/304 was pouring across the intact bridge at Elasson! Seemingly, most of the resistance in the area has crumbled and I face what APPEARS to be the equivalent of 1 Bn of strength.
In the west, the I/2 has joined the beleaguered and battered Recon Bn in the defense of the bridge at Dhomenikon.

RE: Elasson Rearguard Multi AAR
Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:18 am
by barbarossa2
Situation: Day 3, 1500 hours
The Gebirgsjaeger Company in the south is fighting hard to hold the road blocking the New Zealanders from retreating to Larissa as the II/304 and II/3 are sent south to hit Tirnavos and exit south before the deadline on day 4 at 1800 hours.
Serious opposition in the west has declined, as perhaps the allies feel their chance to get away is slipping.
The bridges at Amouri and Magaoula are covered by divisional asssets.
Some New Zealanders offer resistance around the town of Elasson and I am forced to leave the II/2 behind to keep the concentrations of artillery and supply units safe.
But the race is on for Larissa.
Considering what has happened until now, I am wondering what might have happened had I tried to swing east of Elasson and use my bridging assets instead of knocking directly on their door.

RE: Elasson Rearguard Multi AAR
Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:59 am
by 06 Maestro
It looks like you have made very good progress, but will it be enough? This is a tough scenario-I, as the German side, have yet to beat the AI in this battle. You are taking what looks like the only rational way south. Going for the other btidges to the west is a waste of time, unless they are completely unprotected. Even then, those are just aside show.
Good luck.
BTW, your screen shots look very good. What photo editing program do you use?
RE: Elasson Rearguard Multi AAR
Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:08 am
by flintlock
ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro
BTW, your screen shots look very good. What photo editing program do you use?
He's using Adobe Photoshop CS2. Fantastic editing program, and definitely my favorite. CS3 is just around the corner too!
RE: Elasson Rearguard Multi AAR
Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:10 am
by Rooster
Nice AAR!
RE: Elasson Rearguard Multi AAR
Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:15 am
by barbarossa2
Photoediting program is CS2.
I am actually sitting on the outskirts of Tirnavon with about 24 hours to go in the game and need to change the last map to reflect that.
RE: Elasson Rearguard Multi AAR
Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:24 am
by barbarossa2
This is the situation as it stands with about 24 hours left to go in the scenario.
II/3 Pzr and II/304 Schützen are knocking at the door in Tirnavos. I usually combine these units into one (giving them the same orders), hoping that by doing this, the coding will allow for better support and combined arms work than I could provide if I were to "run" the battalions myself, seperately. However, I do take care to send the armored Bn around towns whenever possible...preferring to keep them out of stone's throw range from the outskirts unless necessary (stone's throw range: the approximate range of the primitive, but possibly effective, PIAT...probably the miserable anti tank weapon most of these New Zealander's are running around with).
Recon 5 Bn supporting the approach to the most important victory essential locations west of the town.
The GJ company is getting hammered, and I don't think they will be able to hold the road much longer.
My only serious concern at the moment is wondering what kind of effect leaving that allied battalion sitting on my supply line south of Elasson will have on my supply situation for the II/3 and II/304. The regimental supply base is still sitting just north of Elasson, and I don't trust myself to pack it up and move it south...just yet. However, that MAY have to be remedied...as well as advancing the II/2 on the allied Bn sitting SW of Elasson to get it out of the way.
Do I have enough force in the south to hammer my way through to Larissa before time expires?
Unfortunately, my partner had to break there...and this story will be continued within the next few days. Hopefully with an Axis victory.

RE: Elasson Rearguard Multi AAR
Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:59 pm
by Arjuna
Great AAR Chris. [:)]