Page 1 of 3
How Would You Like To See Us Release Games
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:34 pm
by David Heath
Hi Guys
This has been an on going debate for a while now. So I like to put it up to a vote and see how people feel. The Box edition here would be one that contains a printed manual as well. Also feel free to post any comments you may have as well.
David
RE: How Would You Like To See Us Release Games
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:50 pm
by junk2drive
DL first.
Battlefront's model seems good. DL with the option of boxed shipped later for x$, DL only, boxed only.
RE: How Would You Like To See Us Release Games
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:52 pm
by mjk428
I voted to release the download first under the assumption that to release simultaneously you would simply sit on the download version until the boxed was ready to ship.
I can't see any good reason why anyone that was waiting on the boxed version would want to hold back someone else that didn't need it.
From a sales standpoint, does Matrix have any reason to believe that releasing together would benefit the bottom line?
For some perspective, I was initially very wary of buying via digital download but now have no qualms about it. Although I'm still more likely to impulse buy a boxed version off the shelf. Still, that's less likely nowadays because I have so many games I've bought yet barely/never played.
RE: How Would You Like To See Us Release Games
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:13 pm
by rhondabrwn
I'm totally sold on digital download. Getting a printed manual really isn't that important to me as I print my own. Buying a decent photo printer today is less than $100. There really isn't any good excuse for someone to complain that they "don't have a printer" these days. I can do it myself cheaper than paying $9.99 for a manual (not that I don't think that is a fair price and will be very popular with some folks). I also have no interest in killing trees to produce a big cardboard game box that takes up room on my shelves. I keep my Matrix backup CD's in a disk case and manuals in binders. Sometimes I get fancy and print up a DVD case insert for especially treasured Matrix games (like WiTP). Mostly, nice boxes just leave me with the dilemma of what to do with them... they are too pretty to throw in the trash, so I end up lining shelves with all the old games that just gather dust.
You guys are doing great. [&o]
RE: How Would You Like To See Us Release Games
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:43 pm
by Peter Fisla
Download version first and then later boxed version. I like the current Matrix Games download system, it's easy and painless.
RE: How Would You Like To See Us Release Games
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:19 pm
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Download first.
Anyone that is impatient (like me) will want to download ASAP.
Boxed later is fine, heck it's not like boxed makes the game play better or something.
I should mention, the BiN manual I printed out here myself from the cd is better looking than any printed manual I have ever gotten in a box eh. Full colour, and nice 8.5x11 page size. Compare that with those small manuals with microscopic print size and I just don't see the attraction.
RE: How Would You Like To See Us Release Games
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:17 pm
by LitFuel
I will wait for the box and manual, and let you download guys work out the bugs for us. I always have enough games laying around to keep me busy until it's ready. But please no more whining about not getting manuals, you know the score so it's your choice if you get the download.
RE: How Would You Like To See Us Release Games
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:15 pm
by Hertston
As it is now with the download version first but with the option to pay the extra $10 then and get sent the box copy when available.
RE: How Would You Like To See Us Release Games
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:38 pm
by TheHellPatrol
[:D]Download first, i am very impatient. I don't mind buying a whole other copy at a later date, as i have on a few releases, just to have a manual (GGWAW being the 1st instance) and a nice little box[:)]. my next PC will burn DVD's as well, not just CD-RW's, but how was i to know.
Money is not an issue when it comes to Matrix, my Wife and kids etc... They all know where Daddy will be if they need me [my PC room]...not throwing some dollar bills or chasing a little white ball around all day[:D][:'(].
If it ain't broke don't fix it: @Matrix...you guys are doing the right thing making the game available as a dd right away...the addition of a printed manual is a HUGE plus and i am sure you will get many more sales for that decision.
RE: How Would You Like To See Us Release Games
Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:33 am
by JudgeDredd
As someone else stated, why would anyone who wants a manual want to make people who didn't want a manual wait?
I am of the same mind. I really, really want a printed manual....so my option would be
If the option for a digital downloader to be sent the boxed version when available cannot be presented, then I would rather leave it as it is. I see no reason to punish people who do not want a manual simply because I do. I simply won't buy digital download now, as I always have wanted and always will want a manual.
Rhonda
I've printed my manuals in the past, but as I've stated many, many times before, they are A4 clunky. I've tried sitting on the couch recently reading my massive Forge of Freedom and COTA manuals and I don't like it. They curl up at the edges, they get trashed...binders here there and everywhere. I cannot lie in my bed with a big folder, reading my latest game manual....just cannot do it.
Besides....I like the smell of a new manual! [:D]
RE: How Would You Like To See Us Release Games
Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:38 pm
by ravinhood
It shouldn't really be so much of what we might like, but, what is more benefical to all and the company as a whole. Due to the FoF fiasco, that scenario could happen again should something change after the digitial release. Not to mention the confusion of what digital + physical ordering means and has meant to some in the past. Plus then you only have to have TWO checkboxes on the order page. One for digital only and one for digital/physical.
Can't be any disgruntled people if the digitial and physical is released at same time really. You just make your announcements when they are both ready. I'm sure no one is going to die over having to wait 1 more week for both to be ready at the same time. This should just be common sense as a business, not a poll.

How many people are not going to buy your games just because you decided to release digital and physical at the same time? Only the childish would throw temper tantrums....but, judging from some of the posts I've read you do have several of those here. hahaha
Also, how tamper proof is this poll? How easy is it for someone say with 100 accounts to sway the vote to their side? I do know of a few people on here that have more than one Matrixgames forum account. Not me of course, but, the thought just occured to me that someone with a lot of time on their hands and didn't want to see change could certainly sway an unsecure poll.

RE: How Would You Like To See Us Release Games
Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:11 pm
by JudgeDredd
ravinhood
I fail to see why releasing a game as a digital download 1 week/2 weeks/ 4 weeks priior to physical shipment can cost a company money!
It makes absolute sense to sell the game immediately if a download format is available for the people that want such an option. To wait would simply "punish" those who do not want a physical copy...and why would any company want that?
For what it's worth, I have been a die hard download fan. I like getting the game when it's ready. However, on the basis on what happened with the manual in Forge of Freedom (and I'm not using this as a pop), I will not buy digital download now as I would like a manual with my games. But that doesn't mean to say everyone else should wait.
To take your statement...
what is more benefical to all and the company as a whole
...it makes complete sense for Matrix to be flexible. The way to do that is provide as many options as they can for the user to select.
As an example, I love having a manual with my game. Until now, this has not been possible with Matrix and we've had people who don't want manuals shouting about not wanting to pay extra for something they don't want. SO...Matrix have been as flexible as they can and now provide
* Digital Download $30 - keeps the people that want the game immediately happy
[*] Digital Download + Physical Shipment $40 - keeps the people happy who want to play it now and get the physical box sent to them
[*] Digital Download + Physical Shipment + Manual $50 - keeps me happy
So what's the problem. They are providing for 3 different types of people there...I think that's pretty flexible and good business sense.
They took some
unfair flak because of
how it was done, not becuase they released a game as a digital download and provided physical shipment later...those options have been in place for donkeys years. Had Matrix NOT released the manual option for FoF, then no-one would have been bitching about it. It's only because they DID release a manual option AFTER people had bought the digital download that some people felt a little perplexed.
RE: How Would You Like To See Us Release Games
Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:57 pm
by Marc von Martial
ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
...Matrix have been as flexible as they can and now provide
* Digital Download $30 - keeps the people that want the game immediately happy
[*] Digital Download + Physical Shipment $40 - keeps the people happy who want to play it now and get the physical box sent to them
[*] Digital Download + Physical Shipment + Manual $50 - keeps me happy
I think you got that part wrong [;)]
It will be like this:
[*] Digital Download - 39.99$
[*] Boxed Version (incl. Box CD and manual) - 49.98 $
[*] Digital Download + Boxed Version (incl. Box CD and manual) - 49.98$
The base price of 39.99 serves as example. The boxed version is additional 9.99$ to the base price.
RE: How Would You Like To See Us Release Games
Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:16 pm
by JudgeDredd
I stand corrected...even better customer service.
RE: How Would You Like To See Us Release Games
Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:28 pm
by jimi3
I would go with the digital download + boxed version (CD and manual) everytime. Great idea !!!
RE: How Would You Like To See Us Release Games
Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:21 pm
by Terl
I too am totally sold on digital downloads. I burn my download as my backup and I am good to go. I also like the downloaded versions as there is no cd to shove in the drive to play [:)]. As for the manuals, I just go to Office Max and have them printed if I really need a printed copy.
RE: How Would You Like To See Us Release Games
Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:29 pm
by Trigger Happy
The quickness of DD also has won me over. I can act on instant compulsion... before I think of what I just did with my 50$. The instant gratification that it gives makes me disarms my conscience before it can react. Less physical traces at home also means less guilty feelings and chance of regrets. Everyone's happier.
RE: How Would You Like To See Us Release Games
Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:35 am
by jchastain
Digital downloads can be made available sooner and should be.
Those choosing the box and manual should be allowed to buy and still download the game as soon as the DL is available - they shouldn't have to wait for the box to arrive to be able to play. I shouldn't have to choose between getting it immediately or getting a manual. That is a false choice. I know it takes time to print and manufacture the physical pieces, but let me but and download the DD when available and let me specify I also want the box and manual and just ship it to me whenever it is available but don't make me wait till then to play.
Everyone buys what they want. Everyone gets access to what is available when it is available.
RE: How Would You Like To See Us Release Games
Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:48 pm
by DuckofTindalos
Downloads all the way. I'd never have been able to afford WitP if I'd had to pay P&P as well...
RE: How Would You Like To See Us Release Games
Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:13 am
by ravinhood
I still stand behind my convictions, everyone and I mean everyone should have the choice of how they want to get the game AT THE SAME TIME. Digital AND physical (with overnight shipping if they wish to pay it). No one should get the benefit or advantage over another because they have DSL/Cable while another only has dialup. Every other game out there in mainstream tries to do it this way even on worldwide releases. They attempt to make ALL their customers happy for their own particular needs and reasons so no one is shouting unfair. It appears that only these sideboard publishers don't follow suit and countries like Russia gets TOW before the rest of us; a Battlefront title. Matrixgames releases digital download only, a week prior to physical release. HPS I'm not sure of, do they even offer a digital download feature? Shrapnel Games I don't think they have digital download either..not sure.
All I see is the digital downloaders don't like it when things are on the opposite side of the fence. It just goes to show everyone wants their cake an eat it too.
