Game won't play with me

Pacific War is a free update of the old classic, available in our Downloads section.
Post Reply
nittany
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Shamokin, PA, USA
Contact:

Game won't play with me

Post by nittany »

Have installed game and 2.1 update. Double clicking of icon, plays Pearl Harbor announcement. Then, goes through all screens up to and including game credits. After this screen, it dumps to a fault window.
program has performed an illegal operation
fault line 0000:0297
interrupts in service none
What does this mean?
"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern" Heinz Guderian
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

Post by mogami »

Hi, try just going into c:\matrixgames\pacwar
folder and clicking on blue box pac.exe

------------------
I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a differant direction!
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
C3I2
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2000 10:00 am

Post by C3I2 »

I have a similar problem. Not the mememory errors reported above.

Clicking directly on the exe file dont work, neither does starting it directly in 'fake' DOS mode.

I get the illegal operations notise directly after the credits. I use Win 95, and have not been able to download a patch (I'm glad I managed to download 2.0 version, well I was untill I found out it do not work).
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

Post by mogami »

Hi, Sorry I can't help you. The only way I am able to get the result (blue crash box) is by clicking too many times on .exe file (trying to open game twice causes crash)

------------------
I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a differant direction!
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
nittany
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Shamokin, PA, USA
Contact:

Post by nittany »

Friends, Gamers, Fellow bug complaintants; lend me your ears. Check out the topic at the top of this board. It was started by rudbeck and has some ideas for bug fixes. However, I have not tried them, since deleted the game.
"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern" Heinz Guderian
C3I2
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2000 10:00 am

Post by C3I2 »

Well, I still have not got the game to run. Those tips are ok if you have memory problem.

This error is some kind of exception thingy or whatever, not a lack of free memory.

I have no clue really as what to do.
RickyB
Posts: 1151
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Denver, CO USA

Post by RickyB »

Originally posted by C3I2:
Well, I still have not got the game to run. Those tips are ok if you have memory problem.

This error is some kind of exception thingy or whatever, not a lack of free memory.

I have no clue really as what to do.
Everyone who has had a problem with the illegal operation message shortly after start up has had a memory problem, even though the message doesn't mention it. Most of those have been able to get by it through freeing up memory in the first 640k. Good luck.


------------------
Rick Bancroft
Semper Fi
Rick Bancroft
Semper Fi


Image

Bing
Posts: 1342
Joined: Sat May 20, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Gaylord, MI, USA

Post by Bing »

Originally posted by C3I2:
Well, I still have not got the game to run. Those tips are ok if you have memory problem.

This error is some kind of exception thingy or whatever, not a lack of free memory.

I have no clue really as what to do.
RickyB and the others have a very good point, C312. They are talking about free memory in DOS, not Windows. PW uses only the first 640K of DOS memory, if this is being gobbled up by DOS requirements - which is normal, BTW - then you will get weird results in PW.

Check out the other threads on this board, but first of all boot to the DOS command line, make sure you are in the root directory (C:\ for most of us) and type in the command - mem - exexute it and write down the free DOS memory and then go to work. There are a number of ways to increase free memory, but for this game it must be within the first 640K.

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website
Post Reply

Return to “Pacific War: The Matrix Edition”