Page 1 of 1
Game won't play with me
Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2000 7:30 am
by nittany
Have installed game and 2.1 update. Double clicking of icon, plays Pearl Harbor announcement. Then, goes through all screens up to and including game credits. After this screen, it dumps to a fault window.
program has performed an illegal operation
fault line 0000:0297
interrupts in service none
What does this mean?
Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2000 9:33 am
by mogami
Hi, try just going into c:\matrixgames\pacwar
folder and clicking on blue box pac.exe
------------------
I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a differant direction!
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2000 12:45 am
by C3I2
I have a similar problem. Not the mememory errors reported above.
Clicking directly on the exe file dont work, neither does starting it directly in 'fake' DOS mode.
I get the illegal operations notise directly after the credits. I use Win 95, and have not been able to download a patch (I'm glad I managed to download 2.0 version, well I was untill I found out it do not work).
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2000 2:13 am
by mogami
Hi, Sorry I can't help you. The only way I am able to get the result (blue crash box) is by clicking too many times on .exe file (trying to open game twice causes crash)
------------------
I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a differant direction!
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2000 4:04 am
by nittany
Friends, Gamers, Fellow bug complaintants; lend me your ears. Check out the topic at the top of this board. It was started by rudbeck and has some ideas for bug fixes. However, I have not tried them, since deleted the game.
Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2000 10:28 pm
by C3I2
Well, I still have not got the game to run. Those tips are ok if you have memory problem.
This error is some kind of exception thingy or whatever, not a lack of free memory.
I have no clue really as what to do.
Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2000 12:22 am
by RickyB
Originally posted by C3I2:
Well, I still have not got the game to run. Those tips are ok if you have memory problem.
This error is some kind of exception thingy or whatever, not a lack of free memory.
I have no clue really as what to do.
Everyone who has had a problem with the illegal operation message shortly after start up has had a memory problem, even though the message doesn't mention it. Most of those have been able to get by it through freeing up memory in the first 640k. Good luck.
------------------
Rick Bancroft
Semper Fi
Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2000 6:44 am
by Bing
Originally posted by C3I2:
Well, I still have not got the game to run. Those tips are ok if you have memory problem.
This error is some kind of exception thingy or whatever, not a lack of free memory.
I have no clue really as what to do.
RickyB and the others have a very good point, C312. They are talking about free memory in DOS, not Windows. PW uses only the first 640K of DOS memory, if this is being gobbled up by DOS requirements - which is normal, BTW - then you will get weird results in PW.
Check out the other threads on this board, but first of all boot to the DOS command line, make sure you are in the root directory (C:\ for most of us) and type in the command - mem - exexute it and write down the free DOS memory and then go to work. There are a number of ways to increase free memory, but for this game it must be within the first 640K.