Page 1 of 1

Save files for PBEM games

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2000 1:24 am
by Nightcrawler
If you are playing a PBEM game using the old method of e-mailing save, save.cd and save.md to your opponent (to avoid the routine convoy problem for PBEM in version 2.1), Do you have to e-mail the file named "report.cbt" too?

I see that file appears to be generated when you save a game.

[This message has been edited by Nightcrawler (edited December 04, 2000).]

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2000 2:56 am
by RickyB
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
If you are playing a PBEM game using the old method of e-mailing save, save.cd and save.md to your opponent (to avoid the routine convoy problem for PBEN in version 2.1), Do you have to e-mail the file named "report.cbt" too?

I see that file appears to be generated when you save a game.
That is the combat report that allows your opponent to review the combat from your turn. You should include it.


------------------
Rick Bancroft
Semper Fi

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2000 3:24 am
by LargeSlowTarget
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
If you are playing a PBEM game using the old method of e-mailing save, save.cd and save.md to your opponent (to avoid the routine convoy problem for PBEN in version 2.1), ...
Hello Nightcrawler,
How can you avoid the routine convoy bug in PBEM games? I always send save, save.cd and save.md to my opponent, yet I don't recieve routine supply (as Allied player). What is the old and the new method? Was there a posting which has eluded me?

LargeSlowTarget

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2000 9:27 pm
by Nightcrawler
Apparently my mistake LargeSlowTarget, sorry. I had assumed that the problem with supply was related to using the "Secure PBEM" button when you are starting a game. Therefore, I thought that if you just started a game under the "Both Human" setting it would work the same way as in the old PacWar.

I never did it, but apparently PBEM games were run regularly before the update was released without problems by using the "Both Human" button, though you have to trust your opponent not to cheat. I did just start a game that way, so I should find out soon if it works or not.

Thanks for the advice on the report file RickyB.

[This message has been edited by Nightcrawler (edited December 04, 2000).]

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2000 10:02 pm
by Nightcrawler
LargeSlow Target,

I just talked to my opponent in my PBEM game. He is playing the allies. He said that the routine supply phase appeared to run normally as far he could tell, so maybe it will work.

That was only the first week so we'll know better in a few turns.

RickyB, my opponent says he was able to review the combat under "battle", even though I didn't send him the report.cmt file. It couldn't have been an old report file because that was the first turn of out game and the info he saw was correct. Does the report file provide him with some other combat info other than that which is found under "battle"?

[This message has been edited by Nightcrawler (edited December 04, 2000).]

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2000 12:38 pm
by LargeSlowTarget
Thank you, Nightcrawler. I will suggest my PBEM partner to (re)start a "Both Human" game, since the convoy bug is really annoying and v2.2 seems to take some time. Have fun. Image

[This message has been edited by LargeSlowTarget (edited December 05, 2000).]