Page 1 of 1

The lowly MTB

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2000 7:51 am
by Drex
I'm being run over so badly as the allies that i look for any anything to rave about. A BB-led bombardment group suprised Attu with only 9 MTBs. Lo and behold one of those MTB's hit a cruiser with a torp and hurt it badly. that's never happened to me before. How many of you have had MTB's that fought courageously to the death?

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2000 9:38 am
by sethwrkr
Yup it happened.


Seth

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2000 1:47 am
by moore4807
Yep, 12 MTBs were sent to bougainville (with an oiler) from SF. at beginning of 41' campaign. about 3 mos later they mixed it up with transports coming to Green Is. (sunk two transports (liners too Hooray!) this prompted IJN to send surface fleet to area(1CL, 2DD) who promptly sank my "bathtub fleet". But in measure of revenge I got the CL and crippled 1 DD with NI airstrike from Esprito Santo! (of course IJN promptly overran everything else in area- nearly took Espirito Santo too, (I think I pissed AI off a little too much) I did this as an experiment, since nearly ALL BB's and CA's were damaged/destroyed at PH in "historical" 1st turn...

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2000 4:44 am
by Bing
There is always one solution to the PC/MTB dilemma: Edit them into in effect what were "patrol craft" close to DE's such as the IJN owned and operated.

I give them lots of AA, operate them in packs of 20 or 30 and believe me, Allied air leaves them alone.


Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2000 7:01 am
by Dean Robb
One of the best uses I've found for MTBs is as anti-invasion forces. Just by being in the base hex, they keep unescorted transport fleets away and they cause the AI to expend large quantities of air power for little gain.

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2000 4:21 am
by Sapphire
This is particularly handy if you've got some fighters around. Then they can kill some Betty's every time they attack.

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2000 8:44 am
by sethwrkr
Drex Puffed a IJN BC in a bombardment task force. He massed a bunch of them and lost a lot (maybe 10) but he got a couple of torpedo hits on the BC. The TF tuned back before it bombarded. Pretty expensive in MTB, but what the heck else are they good for.

Seth