Page 1 of 5
What is your favorite infantry rifle?
Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:13 am
by morvwilson
For me, it is the M-14, hands down. Good range, good rate of fire, knock down power and no jamming!
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:55 am
by Zap
For me anything in the Bazooka caliber. Aiming is not so important with one of those!
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:50 am
by old man of the sea
hmmm, gotta be the M4
I love shooting them. Never had a jam either, but I clean it better than my 2 year old daughter. She likes to play in the dirt.
Two to the body, one to the head.
E
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:49 am
by Mike Wood
Hello...
Loved the Springfield M1A1 (M-14). Did not like switching to the Armalite Rifle, Model 15 (M-16). The .223 is a varmit round.
Bye...
Michael Wood
ORIGINAL: morvwilson
For me, it is the M-14, hands down. Good range, good rate of fire, knock down power and no jamming!
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:23 pm
by Marc von Martial
G-3, best inf rifle on the planet. You can swim with it, drag it through mud, beat stuff to trash with it and it still works. Remove four simply steel bolts an it is ready to disassemble. Easy to fix and clean.
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:57 pm
by sapper_astro
Having only used F88 AusSteyr's and Armalites (I am a combat engineer, so we don't really use a lot of 'that' kind of hardware), Its a case of devil or the deep blue sea.[:D]
Both of them jam till they drop, hate mud, and generally give plenty of annoyance. They have done the job though, so I guess they are ok.
My sentimental favourite has to be the Lee Enfield .303 SMLE.
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:01 pm
by DuckofTindalos
ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck
G-3, best inf rifle on the planet. You can swim with it, drag it through mud, beat stuff to trash with it and it still works. Remove four simply steel bolts an it is ready to disassemble. Easy to fix and clean.
Gotta agree with that one. The M-16 (or C-7, in our case) is just so flimsy...
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:15 pm
by morvwilson
My memory on the G-3 is a little fuzzy. Did it fire 7.62mm or 5.56mm? (personally I prefer the 7.62mm aka .308 out here)
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:29 pm
by Marc von Martial
ORIGINAL: morvwilson
My memory on the G-3 is a little fuzzy. Did it fire 7.62mm or 5.56mm? (personally I prefer the 7.62mm aka .308 out here)
7.62
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:27 am
by rhondabrwn
Stumbled across this one:
G11
Case-less ammunition... what an idea!
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:37 am
by Big B
Original post - M-14 rifle hands down.
I've fired (or owned) all of those mentioned and quite a few more. I was issued the M-16A1.
The G-3 (or H&K 91 as it's known in the States) just dosen't have the sighting-in accuracy with iron sights. M-16 (or any 5.56/.223) lacks the stopping power and range.
The Russian SVT-40 is a close second, never cared much for the AK-47s overall.
I want to try a Dragunov...
The M-1 Garand is wonderful, but I would take the M-14 for magazine capacity...and feel.
B
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:47 am
by DuckofTindalos
Speaking of H&K (and sorry for the thread high-jack), they finally decided to manufacture a successor to the MG3. Only took them 60 years![:D]

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:55 am
by Big B
ORIGINAL: Terminus
Speaking of H&K (and sorry for the thread high-jack), they finally decided to manufacture a successor to the MG3. Only took them 60 years![:D]
Ya'but, ..ya'but isn't still a .223?[X(]
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:05 am
by Big B
One last comment on modern assault rifles like the 'sweet 16';
One day in the field I witnissed a 'disagreement' break out between two members of my platoon.
Soldier 'A' decided to settle the argument in gentlemanly fashion by butt-stroking soldier 'B' with his M-16. Whereupon soldier 'B' blocked it with his arm, and proceeded to punch soldier 'A' in the kisser...this did settle the difference of opinion.
My point is that had they been carrying a rifle of wood and steel, the butt-stroke would have sufficed in the first instance.
My father, in Korea, had to engage in hand to hand combat on several occasions - so I am satisfied that the need for a sturdy rifle is as important as it ever was.
B
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:54 am
by DuckofTindalos
ORIGINAL: Big B
ORIGINAL: Terminus
Speaking of H&K (and sorry for the thread high-jack), they finally decided to manufacture a successor to the MG3. Only took them 60 years![:D]
Ya'but, ..ya'but isn't still a .223?[X(]
Yup... It's basically a G36 SAW...
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:15 am
by m10bob
'03 Springfield and 98k Mauser
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:19 am
by Big B
ORIGINAL: m10bob
'03 Springfield and 98k Mauser
hehe...I've got both of those [:D]
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:44 am
by m10bob
ORIGINAL: Big B
ORIGINAL: m10bob
'03 Springfield and 98k Mauser
hehe...I've got both of those [:D]
You dawg!!!!![:D]
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:19 am
by Tankerace
I'll post the only one I own: US Rifle Musket Model of 1861, Springfield Armory Manufacture [:D]
Ok a replica but still... Mine can throw a .575cal Minie Ball pretty far down range, and accurately to boot (except that it pulls upward).
Barring that, I'd settle for my second favorite I want to get, a 1903 Springfield (though either a Mk I or A1, not an 03-A3.
BTW my Springfield is a EuroArms that has been defarbed by the guys at James River Armory.
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:12 am
by Sarge
DeWALT Armory/M4/Weekend Warrior Mod
