Page 1 of 1

Legal Status of Carrier Strike

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2001 9:02 am
by andrewmv
Okay, now this is a question that has come up on the Pacwar mailing list. I have a copy of the expansion disk for Carrier Strike (which apparently is quite hard to find, I got my about 10 years ago direct from SSI). Now I would quite like to make this available, but I'm not sure on the legal status. I know all about abandonware, but I think this is still strictly speaking illegal. Does anybody know how I could go about making this available?

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2001 9:43 am
by sulup
Unforunately without breaking the law, there's no way to freely distribute that game. No matter how old it is, I think it would still be illegal to distribute it for free unless the software company specifically said so...

What DOES the expansion set of Carrier Strike contain anyway??

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2001 11:55 am
by Ed Cogburn
Originally posted by andrewmv:
Okay, now this is a question that has come up on the Pacwar mailing list. I have a copy of the expansion disk for Carrier Strike (which apparently is quite hard to find, I got my about 10 years ago direct from SSI). Now I would quite like to make this available, but I'm not sure on the legal status. I know all about abandonware, but I think this is still strictly speaking illegal. Does anybody know how I could go about making this available?

It is illegal, despite the wishful thinking of the abandonware people. I wouldn't do it myself, I'd find one of the abandonware site maintainers who's willing to put it up and let them take the risks.