Page 1 of 2

Just saw "Letters from Iwo Jima"

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:44 am
by Ketza
Awesome movie. It now has a spot in my top 10 war flicks of all time. It really made me feel for those front line average joe Japanese soldiers who had a mighty high standard to meet on the battlefield.

I dont know why it doesnt have more theatres showing it. There was only one in the whole Washington DC/Baltimore area.

The theatre was sold out when I went.

RE: Just saw "Letters from Iwo Jima"

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:19 am
by scott64
I saw Flag of Our Fathers ths past summer, is this the other side?

RE: Just saw "Letters from Iwo Jima"

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:42 am
by Apollo11
Hi all,

ORIGINAL: scott1964

I saw Flag of Our Fathers ths past summer, is this the other side?

The "Flag of Our Fathers" is USA point of view while "Letters from Iwo Jima" is Japanese point of view.

I think those two would only be vailable as DVDs here...

RE: Just saw "Letters from Iwo Jima"

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:26 pm
by castor troy
ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

ORIGINAL: scott1964

I saw Flag of Our Fathers ths past summer, is this the other side?

The "Flag of Our Fathers" is USA point of view while "Letters from Iwo Jima" is Japanese point of view.

I think those two would only be vailable as DVDs here...

Apollo,

both films start here in Austria within the next two weeks. Are you sure they won´t play them in Croatia?

RE: Just saw "Letters from Iwo Jima"

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:51 pm
by invernomuto
ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

ORIGINAL: scott1964

I saw Flag of Our Fathers ths past summer, is this the other side?

The "Flag of Our Fathers" is USA point of view while "Letters from Iwo Jima" is Japanese point of view.

I think those two would only be vailable as DVDs here...

I saw Flag of Our Fathers (great film) some month ago here in Italy. It would be absurd that they do not play it in Croatia...



RE: Just saw "Letters from Iwo Jima"

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:50 pm
by castor troy
ORIGINAL: invernomuto

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

ORIGINAL: scott1964

I saw Flag of Our Fathers ths past summer, is this the other side?

The "Flag of Our Fathers" is USA point of view while "Letters from Iwo Jima" is Japanese point of view.

I think those two would only be vailable as DVDs here...

I saw Flag of Our Fathers (great film) some month ago here in Italy. It would be absurd that they do not play it in Croatia...



It´s absurd enough that they played Flags of our fathers in Italy months ago in Italy and here in Austria it hasn´t even started yet! [;)]

RE: Just saw "Letters from Iwo Jima"

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:15 pm
by BossGnome
I thought flags of our fathers was good, but nothing great. I really am looking forward to Letters from Iwo Jima though, but here in the Atlantic Provinces of Canada nowhere is really showing it. Its a real pain!

RE: Just saw "Letters from Iwo Jima"

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:18 pm
by spence
but here in the Atlantic Provinces of Canada nowhere is really showing it. Its a real pain!

You guys have to wait til they translate into French anyway right?

RE: Just saw "Letters from Iwo Jima"

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:38 pm
by Timmeh
ORIGINAL: spence
but here in the Atlantic Provinces of Canada nowhere is really showing it. Its a real pain!

You guys have to wait til they translate into French anyway right?

yes, but its 'Canadian' french and they seem to have a different word for everything! [;)]

RE: Just saw "Letters from Iwo Jima"

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:52 pm
by Apollo11
Hi all,
ORIGINAL: castor troy

both films start here in Austria within the next two weeks. Are you sure they won´t play them in Croatia?

Both of those films are not commercial public wise and I seriously doubt they would be shown in movie theaters here at all (but then again I might be wrong and can get surprized at some odd hour in some multiplex cinema theather)...


Leo "Apollo11"

RE: Just saw "Letters from Iwo Jima"

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:18 pm
by DuckofTindalos
"Letters" just won Clint a Golden Globe...

RE: Just saw "Letters from Iwo Jima"

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:27 pm
by Nikademus
really want to see this one.

RE: Just saw "Letters from Iwo Jima"

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:31 pm
by Speedysteve
I missed FooF[:@] will try my best to see LFIJ

RE: Just saw "Letters from Iwo Jima"

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:42 pm
by Nikademus
DVD's rock!


RE: Just saw "Letters from Iwo Jima"

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:48 pm
by Speedysteve
They will do or rather the room will do when I get FooF

RE: Just saw "Letters from Iwo Jima"

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:49 pm
by DuckofTindalos
Yip... I think I'll be leaving Flags in the "if I get around to it" pile, and jump straight on Letters. Doesn't look like it'll be premiering in my local theatre, though...[:(]

RE: Just saw "Letters from Iwo Jima"

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:51 pm
by Nikademus
DVD's are a requirement in my household due to GF unit hearing issues in theatres. Still i'd like to see LFIJ on the big screen since it's subtitled.


RE: Just saw "Letters from Iwo Jima"

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:53 pm
by DuckofTindalos
You mean it won't be dubbed in Fleattle theatres?[:'(]

RE: Just saw "Letters from Iwo Jima"

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:04 pm
by Nikademus
wouldn't matter if it was. As i said...GF unit can't hear well enough in the theatres to enjoy and dubbing combined with subtitles makes her teeth itch (because she reads lips and they are never in sync)


RE: Just saw "Letters from Iwo Jima"

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:48 pm
by CaptDave
I saw LFIJ yesterday and found it to be very powerful.  In a way, I'm glad I don't have a lot of time to play wargames (not for another 2 years until I finish the MBA).  I would find it very hard to "play war" for fun for a while after seeing this particular movie.  This was the first time I can recall everyone in the theater just sitting in their seats without saying a word after the movie ended.  Must say, though, excellent film!