Page 1 of 4

Screenshots

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:35 pm
by simovitch
Here are some samples of the mapping of the Ardennes battlefield. Graphics are beta and do not necessarily represent the final product.

Image

RE: Screenshots

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:36 pm
by simovitch
more:

Image

RE: Screenshots

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:37 pm
by simovitch
and more

Image

RE: Screenshots

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:38 pm
by simovitch
more still

Image

RE: Screenshots

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:39 pm
by simovitch
and more

Image

RE: Screenshots

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:40 pm
by simovitch
and more

Image

RE: Screenshots

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:28 pm
by Banquet
Looks great simovitch. The maps look lovely!

Is the same colour set as COTA being used? There seems to be some more green.. but the hills look a bit deserty.

RE: Screenshots

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:55 pm
by Bil H
Banquet, those are old graphics.  I have only just started to work on the BFTB graphics, rest assured they will be theater specific, just like COTAs were.

Bil

RE: Screenshots

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:02 pm
by Banquet
Sounds good Bil.

Slightly OT (but I'll take any chance I can get to ask about map making at the moment! [:)]) What is the perceived wisdom of drawing tracks and roads over towns and villages? I have checked some of the COTA maps and it seems some do and some don't. I would have thought that highways and maybe roads could be drawn over built up area's, but minor roads and tracks, to my mind, would be encompassed by what would be in the town anyway (I.e, a town has roads)




RE: Screenshots

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:17 pm
by Arjuna
Banquet,
 
I agree with you on the issue of roads in towns and tend to avoid overlaying a town with a great spagetti bowl of roads. What's more you need to remember that the presence of a road on a 100m movement and terrain grid has the effect of negating the urban terrain under it, so it's best to use them sparingly. Avoid having multiple roads side by side, effectively making a giant football field.

RE: Screenshots

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:10 pm
by simovitch
Dave,

I'll clean up the towns that have more than primary roads going through. More than the other mapmakers, I tended to put more roads in the towns than were probably necessary (like St. Vith).

RE: Screenshots

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:39 pm
by Fred98
Its nice to see some work coming along.
 
I notice the difference in the colours is quite subtle.  As a result it is hard to see the change in countours.
 
 

RE: Screenshots

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:14 am
by Arjuna
Yes I agree Joe, we need more contrast between the hight layers. We'll get to this soon.

RE: Screenshots

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:35 am
by Adam Parker
I see differences in maps alternatively with browns and greens on them - does this simulate mud scenarios? Well done if so.
 
Also are you planning an opaque white snow overlay?

RE: Screenshots

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:39 am
by Arjuna
Adam,
 
If we get time we are going to try to change the map patterns as the ground condition changes. So then we can have a different look for clear, mud, snow and ice. The usual caveat applies though, so don't hold me to it.

RE: Screenshots

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:26 am
by Adam Parker
Ah let the grognards worry about it. I know they will [:D]
 
I remember when I saw my first copy of Bulge '81 - it had the coolest graphics I'd ever seen up till then, with a white map!
 
It was the first war game I ever lay-byed. I still love it.

RE: Screenshots

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:52 am
by CriticalMass
IIRC, didn't Fire Brigade have a map that showed the changing environmental conditions?

RE: Screenshots

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:14 am
by Adam Parker
Quite a few games do too - beginning with the old AH/Atomic Stalingrad game IIRC.
 
Dave, your maps are vectors aren't they? I really applaud this if so.

RE: Screenshots

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:13 am
by Arjuna
Yes they are vectors.

RE: Screenshots

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:54 pm
by simovitch
I'll try to get some action shots posted over the next few weeks. Here's one where the AI played both sides of the "Schnee Eifel" scenario using the playtest debug tools.

I was pleased to see the German pincer attack by the 18th VG effectively bottle up the 2 regiments of the 106th by the night of the second day:


Image