Page 1 of 1

Transporting aircraft by MCS......

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2001 10:34 am
by dmeans
Somebody must know the answer to this question. If I have an airgroup of say 30 F4F Wildcats that I want to move by MCS how do I figure out how many ships I need in the MCS group to carry all the aircraft?
I can't find anything in the manual about this.

Regards,
PacWarrior

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2001 8:01 pm
by Rich Dionne
Pacwarrior,

Here are the transport (MCS loading) costs for aircraft (according to the PWHints11 document):

fighter..................20
fighter bomber ..........20
dive bomber .............20
torp bomber .............20
tac bomber...............30
heavy bomber ............40
transport................40
patrol...................20

Regards,

Rich

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2001 5:14 am
by dmeans
Hi Rich,

Thanx for the info. I didn't have a
copy of pwhints but I do now.

Thanx again,
PacWarrior

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2001 7:05 am
by Ranger-75
Expanding of the original question... If you have any damaged aircraft (say 28 operational and 2 damaged F4Fs) will the damaged ones get loaded onto the ships or will they "go into the pool" ...

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2001 7:48 am
by Rich Dionne
Originally posted by Mike Santos:
Expanding of the original question... If you have any damaged aircraft (say 28 operational and 2 damaged F4Fs) will the damaged ones get loaded onto the ships or will they "go into the pool" ...
They get loaded on the ship.

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2001 10:51 pm
by Warpup
Don't forget to use the CS types to transfer air groups. Their capacity translates directly into the number of fighters and dive bombers and torpedoe bombers that they can carry (15 for the speed 17 USN CS). The planes are not damaged on loading and unloading, so you can send a couple of CS with a marine fighter groups with an invasion force to land in case you get the airfield. The speed 17 just barely allows the CS to get from SF to Hawaii in one week, but it seems the same group ends up one hex from SF on the way back. Oh well, still shaves a week off the round trip when you are shuttling out the large number of marine air groups that arrive later on... :rolleyes:

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2001 10:56 pm
by Warpup
Also note the many CVE groups that arrive for the allies without air groups of their own work well for transporting air groups. They are a little faster than the MCS, but obviously they aren't available early on. The capacity seems to be double the CVE capacity when transporting, and again the planes aren't damaged. One of the problems with CVEs is that you can't get a statement of the "pasenger" on a CVE. :rolleyes:

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2001 11:24 pm
by Rich Dionne
Well, I've been playing this game a long time, but it still goes to show there's always something new to learn. Thanks for the observation Warpup, I have never used empty CVE's to transport aircraft.

Regards,

Rich