Page 1 of 1

What am I doing wrong?

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:52 pm
by tiredoftryingnames
I looked at the directories in the game folder and checked out the data files so I could do some modifications to tie me over until the patch comes out. I noticed that the standard scenario loads all it's values from the Data directory. The July 1861 scenario merely is a folder in the scenarios folder that has a few files with modified values with the different units, start positions and such and I'm assuming these files override the standard files in the data directory to create a varied scenario. Made sense.

So I created my own scenario folder copied over the July 1861 files and made some changes. The scenario showed up and my changes were there. Easy way to keep the original and make a new scenario I thought. So I decided to take it further. Figuring that instead of modifying files in the data directory I could just move anything I wanted to change to the scenario's folder and that would preserve the original values for the standard scenario. But when I moved the Blds.txt file and made changes they don't show up. It's still the original file in the data directory. Is it hardcoded that only those values dealing with the start values can be overriden from the scenario directory and the other data files are only read from the data directory?

RE: What am I doing wrong?

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:09 am
by rook749
I think what we need is a listing of files that can be placed into one of the scenario folders and loaded so we know what we can or can't mod.

Rook

RE: What am I doing wrong?

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:37 am
by ericbabe
If you look in other scenario folders, those show which files the game looks for in the Scenarios area.  Things like Bldgs.txt are always searched for in the data area.

I have considered having a separate mod-folder area that would basically be a copy of the Data area.  Let me look into this further and see how hard it would be to implement.

RE: What am I doing wrong?

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:40 am
by rook749
ORIGINAL: ericbabe

If you look in other scenario folders, those show which files the game looks for in the Scenarios area.  Things like Bldgs.txt are always searched for in the data area.

I have considered having a separate mod-folder area that would basically be a copy of the Data area.  Let me look into this further and see how hard it would be to implement.

Thanks Eric for the prompt reply.

Rook

RE: What am I doing wrong?

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:50 am
by tiredoftryingnames
Yeah thanks for the response.