Page 1 of 1

So what next

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:13 pm
by JudgeDredd
I'm currently playing as union and building up my forces...especially over in the West.

But what now? I've spent a load of resources on various things. I have a big enough army over in the West (several smaller ones) to move in and take insignificant provinces and I did this with one province...but as soon as I did it, his army in the East attacks mine and it's considerably smaller...in fact his army in the West grows much more than mine.

So I don't know what to do now. I'm at a bit of a dead end. If I attack anywhere, he will wipe out my army in the West. If I don't attack, he just gets stronger each turn more than I do...so advice would be appreciated.

Thx

RE: So what next

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:23 pm
by Drex
Numbers don't mean squat without quality. Try adding attributes to your brigades, change commanders for better ones, improve the weapons, get more tactics research going. If you can get hasty entrenchment, this will definietly help in detailed battles.

RE: So what next

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:48 pm
by BigJ62
ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I'm currently playing as union and building up my forces...especially over in the West.

But what now? I've spent a load of resources on various things. I have a big enough army over in the West (several smaller ones) to move in and take insignificant provinces and I did this with one province...but as soon as I did it, his army in the East attacks mine and it's considerably smaller...in fact his army in the West grows much more than mine.

So I don't know what to do now. I'm at a bit of a dead end. If I attack anywhere, he will wipe out my army in the West. If I don't attack, he just gets stronger each turn more than I do...so advice would be appreciated.

Thx


Surrender. [:'(]


I just got the game and am still reading the manual.

RE: So what next

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:17 pm
by JudgeDredd
ORIGINAL: BigJ62
Surrender. [:'(]
Wise words....remind me to take you up on a PBEM, eh? [;)]

RE: So what next

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:05 pm
by BigJ62
Ok, give me some time to figure this thing out.

RE: So what next

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:32 am
by dthornburg
Well, if your game goes similar to mine as the Union so far...You might as well surrender. Sorry, I think I am being pessimistic. FoF seems like it is way to easy to loose as the Union. I fought my way to the Atlantic (via North/South Carolina) and reach the ocean in middle 1865. Even then I couldn't hold the territory and ended up losing the game. 

RE: So what next

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:03 am
by General Quarters
By following some of the advice here and elsewhere on this forum, you can start winning battles. I still found it necessary to go to Union +2, with Faster Sieges. Otherwise, even if won every battle, it just took too long to move through enough provinces to get a win.

RE: So what next

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:04 am
by dthornburg
ORIGINAL: General Quarters

By following some of the advice here and elsewhere on this forum, you can start winning battles. I still found it necessary to go to Union +2, with Faster Sieges. Otherwise, even if won every battle, it just took too long to move through enough provinces to get a win.

GQ, I would concur with that assessment. Time was more a factor than winning battles. I would win eventually, that was not really in question. It was just how long would it take me. Maybe 1866 or so possibly.

RE: So what next

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:11 pm
by General Quarters
Yes, and then that horrible minus-1 VP every month kicks in. Time should count against the Union, but that is a killer!

RE: So what next

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:53 pm
by bubbak
Attack, die fighting

RE: So what next

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:53 pm
by ABridgeTooFar
The North can get very strong and I do not have too difficult a time against the South.  I play at one of the middle to high difficulty settings with no bonuses.  You just have to be patient, build quality armies, build siege armies with four siege artillery and try to get the South to attack you in a province that you defend.  By late 1863, the AOP should be able to handle the ANV and the Mississippi should be almost entirely in your hands.

RE: So what next

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:41 am
by christof139
The North can get very strong and I do not have too difficult a time against the South. I play at one of the middle to high difficulty settings with no bonuses. You just have to be patient, build quality armies, build siege armies with four siege artillery and try to get the South to attack you in a province that you defend. By late 1863, the AOP should be able to handle the ANV and the Mississippi should be almost entirely in your hands.

4-Siege Arty. in a Union Army!??! [X(] Yipes!! I am lucky to get 1 or 2 with the South.

Using the Counterfitting Technology upgrade if you're the South seems to certainly mess-up the union economy to some good degree though, causing 50% deduction in income or something like that.

Chris

RE: So what next

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:58 am
by tiredoftryingnames
"So I don't know what to do now. I'm at a bit of a dead end. If I attack anywhere, he will wipe out my army in the West. If I don't attack, he just gets stronger each turn more than I do...so advice would be appreciated."
 
Research Land Ironclads and Wagonborne Infantry. Form up a Mobile Corps and strike south at the industrial heartland.

RE: So what next

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:15 am
by Jeff Norton
ORIGINAL: tiredoftryingnames

"So I don't know what to do now. I'm at a bit of a dead end. If I attack anywhere, he will wipe out my army in the West. If I don't attack, he just gets stronger each turn more than I do...so advice would be appreciated."

Research Land Ironclads and Wagonborne Infantry. Form up a Mobile Corps and strike south at the industrial heartland.
Heh... led by Gen. Roscoe Efram Rommel?

halten Sie die Zügel lose, y'all....[:D]

RE: So what next

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:04 am
by christof139
Heh... led by Gen. Roscoe Efram Rommel?

halten Sie die Zügel lose, y'all....

_____________________________

-Jeff
Veritas Vos Liberabit
"Hate America - love their movies" -Foos Babaganoosh - Anchor - Jihad Tonite

Where'd the sniper kitty come from?? Seems they're all like that the curious, mischevious, evil little beasts.

Chris

RE: So what next

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:02 pm
by Jeff Norton
ORIGINAL: christof139

Where'd the sniper kitty come from?? Seems they're all like that the curious, mischevious, evil little beasts.

Chris


I got him before he got me.... 450m with a 3" drop.... [:D]

RE: So what next

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:06 pm
by christof139
I got him before he got me.... 450m with a 3" drop....

Them animules is always a'doin 3" drops like AB do-do all over my floor. Evil, stinky beasts. Simply atrocious indeedlee do!!

Chris

RE: So what next

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:36 pm
by Jeff Norton
Quite true. That's why I like dogs - cheap security, faithful, and good for seeking out terminators....[;)]

Cats tend to look upon their owners as *servants*....

RE: So what next

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:53 pm
by christof139
Quite true. That's why I like dogs - cheap security, faithful, and good for seeking out terminators....

Cats tend to look upon their owners as *servants*....

_____________________________

-Jeff
Veritas Vos Liberabit
"Hate America - love their movies" -Foos Babaganoosh - Anchor - Jihad Tonite

Ha ha ha!! Yuo, you are so rught. The wandering neighborhood mooch has me trained very well. So, did the last one. They are something else an I laugh like heck at their antics, very funy. dogs can be just as goofy, and having 2 large about 65 pound German Short-haired Pointers and 2 THE CATS is really something to experience. They will gang-up on you and at 4 to 1 odds it can be a losing battle. [&:]

Not as bad as wild boars and thieves and other criminal types though.

Chris