Page 1 of 2
OT- Military Advice neeeded
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:55 am
by marky
hey guys, ill try and keep this short and sweet
ive beeen thinkin about the army and navy again, and a buddy of mine told me that i could get in the army but maybe not the navy
heres the problem, i have a back injury, a history of taking ritalin and was diagnosed adhd 15 years ago
will this be a problem lol
i know u have to tell ur recruiter this, but id like sum advice from experienced or knowledgable people
if army im thinking intel analyst, diver, or signals analyst
if navy, well i got a few things in mind
any advice? words of wisdom and such?
fear me after ive gone to intel school lol!
RE: OT- Military Advice neeeded
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:19 pm
by m10bob
I was an Intel analyst in the army(Rangers)..If you try out for this, you will go thru all kinds of security screening prior to enlistment.I saw guys wash out in the middle of AIT..It is not easy.. Those guys went right to the front line..If you prefer not to be at the front, and can handle the screening, I would advise ASA instead..
In my army, having a history of any kind of "emotion altering" drug was not going to help you in any of the highter expectation/risk jobs.
I suggest you try the Navy or USAF..
RE: OT- Military Advice neeeded
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:27 pm
by marky
hmm
thankyz
wats ASA though lol
RE: OT- Military Advice neeeded
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:36 pm
by siRkid
I'm a retired Senior Chief and I don't think the Ritalin and adhd should be a problem, hell the doctors are stamping our kids with that left and right. Some of the higher security Rates might not take you, but the Navy has lots of jobs. Ask the recruiter for a list of rates that are at a critically low level and see if any of them fit the bill. Now your back problem could be a different story if its not 100% fixed. The Navy is big on health and will not take on people with existing problems that could prevent them for doing their job.
RE: OT- Military Advice neeeded
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:37 pm
by marky
hmm, yah i just had an epidural and working on getting it fixed
thankyz
this helps alot guys
keeep it comin if ya can
RE: OT- Military Advice neeeded
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:38 pm
by m10bob
ORIGINAL: marky
hmm
thankyz
wats ASA though lol
Army Security Agency..They sit in pup tents on the top of a mountain in outer Mongolia and monitor radio traffic, whilst eating cold, day old pizza..They don't get their haircut, wear regulation uniforms, nor do they bear any semblance of being in an organized military force.
They are placed in ASA for their minds, not their "bodies".
Imagine "Hawkeye Pierce" with a set of headphones....
RE: OT- Military Advice neeeded
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:43 pm
by marky
heh
imagine klinger too[:D]
RE: OT- Military Advice neeeded
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:18 pm
by Japanese_Spirit
This is indeed an interesting question that I would like to ask myself. However, I live in Britain. I did recall speaking to an officer but he said that even to be a chef, your literally a soldier and if you have health problems, it will be difficult.
I unfortunetly suffer with obsessive compulsive disorder myself and have depression. Is there any British members that could advise me on any military options, choices or careers that could possibly be open to someone like myself?
RE: OT- Military Advice neeeded
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:28 pm
by Nikademus
I couldn't even get into the Naval Reserve due to impaired hearing.
Guess it depends on the specific health condition.
RE: OT- Military Advice neeeded
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:55 pm
by marky
ORIGINAL: Nikademus
I couldn't even get into the Naval Reserve due to impaired hearing.
Guess it depends on the specific health condition.
say what?
sorry bad joke
just for imparied hearing? strange i think
but hell after boot camp ur deaf anyway
LOLZ!
RE: OT- Military Advice neeeded
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:33 pm
by Dixie
ORIGINAL: Japanese_Spirit
This is indeed an interesting question that I would like to ask myself. However, I live in Britain. I did recall speaking to an officer but he said that even to be a chef, your literally a soldier and if you have health problems, it will be difficult.
I unfortunetly suffer with obsessive compulsive disorder myself and have depression. Is there any British members that could advise me on any military options, choices or careers that could possibly be open to someone like myself?
Although I'm not 100% sure, I think the biggest stumbling block would be the depression, I guess the OCD would depend on how in manifests itself and how bad it is. The officer is right, especially in the army everyone is a solider before anything else. Have you tried your local CIO? They will either have the info right away, or will be easily able to get hold of it.
Anyone who
wants to be in the army has bigger problems than OCD though [;)][:D][:'(]
RE: OT- Military Advice neeeded
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:35 pm
by niceguy2005
Marky, just curious why not the AF? Many excellent carrers including space.
RE: OT- Military Advice neeeded
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:45 pm
by marky
o i couldnt find an MOS i really liked, maybe i didnt look hard enuff
plus i also heard that the air force is REALLY selective
RE: OT- Military Advice neeeded
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:21 pm
by wolffpack
I'm a US Army 1SG, the ritalin might be a problem. When I was a DI they took all civilian proscribed meds away from Soldiers in training at reception and did'nt redo their perscriptions. I had a couple Soldiers that did'nt do well coming off meds like that. They became a dicipline problem and were sent home. One of the first questions I asked my trainees is if anyone was a ritalin baby. Between smoke sessions that is. Easiest way to get a solid answer is talk to a recruiter. If theres a way to get you in the Army they will find it. They'll do just anything to make mission. After that its up to you.
RE: OT- Military Advice neeeded
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:26 pm
by marky
~S~ pleased to meeet u 1SG
i shoulda phrased that better lol
wat i meant was that i was a ritalin baby, like 15-17 years ago wen i was like 7 or 8
im not on nething right now except this thing that helps with OCD so i can finally beat it and get over it
RE: OT- Military Advice neeeded
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:33 pm
by wolffpack
The ritalin should'nt be a problem then. If your healthy and if your back is up for the punishment go for it. If your back is iffy I would choose a non combat arms mos. Like said before best place to get a good answer is your recruiter.
RE: OT- Military Advice neeeded
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:41 pm
by niceguy2005
ORIGINAL: marky
o i couldnt find an MOS i really liked, maybe i didnt look hard enuff
plus i also heard that the air force is REALLY selective
Not sure what MOS are available. Certainly the AF will have a lot of sig intel stuff, lots of satellite work. I assume you are looking at enlisting though, not goint through OTS?
Yes the Air Force is very selective...no harm in trying though...worst thing that can happen is they say no.
RE: OT- Military Advice neeeded
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:18 pm
by marky
indeed.
thing is ive wanted to go in the navy and maybe get my own ship eventually since i was like 8, but thatd mean officer training
RE: OT- Military Advice neeeded
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:29 pm
by Terl
As a former commander of an Army recruiting company, all I can say is try. They will do a physical and you will have to tell them about the back problems. Not knowing exactly what the injury is, and not being a doctor myself, I cannot say for certain what would happen. I have had some folks make it through and some not when it comes to medical issues. As others have said, try it.
Go for the one you want--if you want to try the Navy, go talk to a recruiter. Remember too, there is the Coast Guard (puddle pirates [:)] ) if you really want to be on ships.
The most they can do is say "No" or offer you a job. If you want it-go for it. I enjoyed my time in the Army. I enlisted, went to OCS a few years later, and I am now retired. These are different times though, with wars going on and hot spots elsewhere, so think about where/what you want to be/do.
RE: OT- Military Advice neeeded
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:37 pm
by marky
1 or 2 compressing or herniated disks i think im not sure it hasnt been checked in a whikle