Page 1 of 1

Play balance in the Arnhem Campaign

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:08 am
by hedererp


Hello,

Just bought HTTR a few weeks ago, and this week I played the Arnhem Campaign scenario for the first time, as the Germans. Not knowing the game system well, I expected to be presented with a serious challenge, but this wasn't the case.
The first day I deployed the units I had in depth to block any access to Arnhem, and this worked very well. I then concentrated my forces in the evening of the first day.
The next morning the airborne troops tried a rush into Arnhem, but ran into my troops already deployed in depth and dug into the city blocks. They retreated after heavy losses.
I then counter-attacked from both ends and simply overran the remaining troops, herding what few were left into a bag in the central part of the map.

Is this a normal experience for HTTR gamers out there? Were the Germans simply in that strong of a position, or does it have more to do with the game's AI? Is it best played as the Allies?
I must admit I was a bit dissapointed. I was not expecting such an easy win.

Thanks,

Paul


RE: Play balance in the Arnhem Campaign

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:54 am
by Arjuna
Paul,
 
Welcome.
 
The Historical Campaign has just one reinforcement schedule - ie the historical one. Historically with a drop 12kms from the main bridge it was always going to be a tough ask for the Allies. Many would view that John Frost's 2nd Para Bn was indeed lucky to make it to the bridge at all. So yes this scenario is propably best played as the Alllied. It is provided more or less as an example of how not to conduct an airborne operation.
 
The Coup de Main or the Historical Plus Campaign scenarios are far more balanced. The Coup de Main scenario for instance has four alternate reinforcement schedules with four different drop zones. This provides a much greater challenge for the Germans as they don't know where they are coming from and the drop zones may be much closer and hence the Germans have less time to react. Try one of these out and let me know how you found it.

RE: Play balance in the Arnhem Campaign

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:51 am
by hedererp


Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely give these a try. I love the game system, by the way!

Paul