Page 1 of 1
CVEs over aircraft capacity
Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:57 pm
by Nightcrawler
I'm relatively new to the game and I'm having a problem with my CVEs. Many of them have more planes than is their capacity, which I believe is preventing them from flying any of them. Am I doing something wrong to cause this to happen?
Generally I've been dumping the torpedo planes off on a land base so that the fighters can still fly cap over my transport task forces. But sometimes even that doesn't work. In one case, a CVE (the Chenango) doesn't want to let me transfer any planes. When I click on tranfer to ship of base, it doesn't list any eligible bases to transfer to even if it is sitting in a base.
In another case, I only have the fighters left but there are a few too many still. It's not letting me split the group, and transferring them wouldn't accomplish anything. Then I'd have no planes.
Any suggestions?
RE: CVEs over aircraft capacity
Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:05 pm
by ctangus
Those CVEs are replenishment CVEs. You can tell them because they carry "VR" squadrons. Combat CVEs have "VC" (composite) squadrons.
What you can use them for is to replenish the airgroups of your combat CVs & CVEs without bringing them back to port. Keep the replenishment CVE within transfer range, and replacements on for your combat carriers and as you take losses they'll be replaced from the VR squadrons.
(Or, if you're like me, you can use them to provide torpedo practice for your opponent's torpedo bombers. [:D])
RE: CVEs over aircraft capacity
Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:07 pm
by stldiver
These CVE's are replenshiment CVE's if you set them as a replenishment TF, and keep them within Transfer range of your carriers, they will replenish the air groups on your CV's. Good for running long operations, or when CV's have heavy combat, they don't need to return to a base.
I have also used them just after capturing a base, I fly off the 54 fighters and 54 bombers or Torpedo planes, and instantly the base has teeth, that is if a Base force was in the landing party. Once the base is fully secured and the area safe, I reload them aboard the CVE's.
But yes you can move of the current planes, and load a small unit, but there are CVE's just like that already.
If you do a word search on CVE's you will find many discussions on this topic.
hope that helps.
RE: CVEs over aircraft capacity
Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:56 pm
by rogueusmc
ORIGINAL: stldiver
...But yes you can move of the current planes, and load a small unit, but there are CVE's just like that already...
I don't suggest this...the groups tend to grow very huge when removed from their CVE...then ya can't get it back on.
Lee
RE: CVEs over aircraft capacity
Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:26 pm
by Dino
ORIGINAL: rogueusmc
ORIGINAL: stldiver
...But yes you can move of the current planes, and load a small unit, but there are CVE's just like that already...
I don't suggest this...the groups tend to grow very huge when removed from their CVE...then ya can't get it back on.
Lee
This keeps on popping up, but i really don't see the problem...the groups grow only if they are set to "allow replacements".
I have removed all of the VR squadrons from my CVEs because i needed the CVEs to quickly shuffle newly arrived Corsairs to the front lines.
The VR squadrons come with very low experience pilots, so i allowed some of them to grow by setting replacements ON, thus filling them up with more experienced pilots from the pool...the idea is that one CVE with 54 fighters and another with 54 bombers will still perform their replenishment functions.
The squadrons that were not set to receive replacements are sitting at the base in their original size and can be put back on a CVE just as they were.
RE: CVEs over aircraft capacity
Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:40 pm
by stldiver
I have experiance the same effect as Dino, as in my first PBEM, I did not turn off the replacements and they all grew to 54VF, and 54 DB or TB on the CVE, they still preform the replenishment function and once again when I need instant 100 planes ready to fight, they fly off to a land base and are good to go.
The downside is I lost 1 of these CVE's to Japanese bombers, there sank 100 aircraft [:(]
RE: CVEs over aircraft capacity
Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:54 pm
by Nightcrawler
O.K., thanks for the advice everyone. It's too bad, because I could use the extra CAP at the moment, but I'll have to deal with it.
I did try to do a search and came up empty, but I guess it was too specific. I should have just searched for CVE.